The question I love to ask on this community

dgilner
dgilner Posts: 120 Member
edited September 22 in Motivation and Support
I think it is so helpful to learn from one another so I like to ask this question: What do you think has been most instrumental in your journey to a healthier lifestyle? The one answer I will steal from your lips - MFP. We are all already here and know the benefits of using this site. I mean above and beyond that - whats been your biggest find, a-ha moment, or tool??

As for me: Finding a gym partner and working on the emotional part of this girls head (reading books, building a list of positive affirmations, etc). I am still searching for a good food structure/plan to follow (and open to suggestions). I would love any friend adds - as I love learning from my network of support new ideas/tips!!
Happy Sunday to each of you!
Dawn

Replies

• I will give you 2 things (besides MFP, ha!)

One was the book "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. I pretty much follow that diet structure and it helped me break through a plateau. I eat much more protein now and healthier, organic foods. I have tried to eliminate all "fake" foods as well as High Fructose Corn Syrup, etc.

Two is a regular and consistent yoga practice. I practice daily and it helps to center me, with stress levels, and calorie burn. It has built y balance, strength, endurance, and flexibility. I naturally eat less and have better digestion.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    The most instrumental thing in my journey has been having a cause to fight for and a team of people with me fighting for the same cause. If my mother had never been diagnosed with cancer, I never would have joined Team In Training, trained for a half marathon and on to marathons. The support that I found in training with a team of like minded people has undoubtedly been one of the best things to ever happen to me. Giving to others while doing something good for myself is a win win and takes me out of the times when I feel down or sorry for myself.

I have to add that because of a woman on my TNT team, I was introduced to Beachbody. This has also been a life changing event for me. The Beachbody workouts I have done have changed my body and my health and the team of coaches I now work with keep me motivated, accountable and enthusiastic about helping others do the same.
    Happy Sunday to you!
    Risa
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Something that helps me that I never used to do is PREPARE. If I don't plan for my healthy meals, I eat crap. I have to PLAN to have healthy fixins in the house and PLAN the time to prepare my breakfast & lunch the night before to take to work. Otherwise, I have to run out and grab something.
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Drumming up the courage to sign up for a bootcamp. It was 4 weeks long - 5 days a week. It gave me a great jumpstart and I learned so much about exercises I could do without a gym membership. I also got some great nutrition tips (instructors are a husband/wife pair - she is a registered dietician and he is a certified personal trainer). I lost 5.5% bodyfat!!!!

I am starting another one on January 3rd. Can't wait!!!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    For me is is my kids. I know that I could never make such a huge change with out putting myself first. When I had my second son, I realized how much I had let myself go. I did not want to be that kind of example for my children. So, I decided to make a major life change to better my health and be a better role model for my children to stay healthy. Basically, I am doing this for myself with my children as my motivation.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    My HRM and my food scale are my two tools.

I wish I had a friend that would in courage me to move my butt and get the exercise in. I'm usually the one that is the dragger. A friend to do it with makes everything easier.
  • dgilner
    Drumming up the courage to sign up for a bootcamp. It was 4 weeks long - 5 days a week. It gave me a great jumpstart and I learned so much about exercises I could do without a gym membership. I also got some great nutrition tips (instructors are a husband/wife pair - she is a registered dietician and he is a certified personal trainer). I lost 5.5% bodyfat!!!!

Wow 5.5%!!! Amazing!! Great job
  • dgilner
    For me is is my kids. I know that I could never make such a huge change with out putting myself first. When I had my second son, I realized how much I had let myself go. I did not want to be that kind of example for my children. So, I decided to make a major life change to better my health and be a better role model for my children to stay healthy. Basically, I am doing this for myself with my children as my motivation.

I LOVE IT!! My kids are a huge motivator for me too!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    I wish I could answer this, but I honestly have no idea what is different this time. I got a shock when I saw a photo of myself in August - I looked like a monster -I was all big round the shoulders and neck so maybe that was the trigger - I think the thing that is keeping me going is the buzz I get from exercising and being able to breathe easier, and of course stepping on the scales and watching the numbers go down. I just wanna be here to enjoy my life with my children.
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member

Me too! I did a boot camp for 5 weeks/3 times a week and it was awesome. I saw the changes immediately and its only 30 - 40 min session. I am also starting with her again in January for 6 months and I can't wait! She has taught me so much about how to eat and how to exercise without going to the gym.
This discussion has been closed.