Making use of SPAM

Options
It's starting to heat up here in NW Minnesota and every year without fail when it gets warm enough I lose my appetite and it's easier said than done to get a realistic amount of calories down because I do the whole commuter bike thing. I've also got about six things of spam sitting in my pantry, which would've been donated to the local food shelf if it weren't for the price of meat shooting to the moon because I don't know what to do besides fry the stuff and stick it in sandwiches. Sooo... any suggestions on what to do with the stuff in terms of making it part of a relatively nutritious dish while keeping it dense in calories?

Side note: the dozen or so slices of not-edible spam present here and on the other 'weight' boards at the time of this topic's posting have been reported.

Replies

• kirstylewis16
    kirstylewis16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I confess ive never had spam, but I assume its a luncheon type meat. How bout a hash type meal- mash it into mash potatoes. Or cube it into a pasta bake.
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My grandfather cooks up a bit of spam with eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and pops it on some grainy bread. Not a bad macros profile, but very calorie dense! I'm not a huge fan of the stuff myself, though :ohwell:
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of spam but maybe cook it crumbled over some rice and beans, or pasta with some sauce and veggies.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Heck! I haven't had spam in years. I loved spam fried in a little butter just browned on both sides , kind of like scrapple. Make it with eggs and grits and drink alot of water.
  • janeytom
    janeytom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    All of the above!
    It's a staple of my prepper pantry, and I try to rotate it - I use ONE can a month. I open a can, cut/weigh it into 1 oz. portions (12 portions/can; Spam Lite has 55 calories/oz., regular Spam is 70/oz.; it's kept in the refrigerator in a baggie), and I use it diced in scrambled eggs, sliced on my version of a McMuffin (in place of the sausage), diced and sprinkled over a salad. Yes, it stays fresh in the baggie for weeks. It's Spam LOL!
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan, but if I had it in my pantry I would probably brown it for a bit, add onions, garlic, ( maybe extra ground beef) and tomato sauce and make it into a pasta sauce :)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions everyone!
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Spam musubi
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's nice diced into a potato salad or use it in fried rice. You could add it to soup for instance pea and ham.. well spam in this case :)
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Eat it raw
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    You should fry it and eat it on a sandwich.

Do you know any Hawaiians? They cant get enough spam.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Spam! A lot of the time while growing up my parents couldn't really afford groceries, and spam was a huge staple in the house for our meals. My mom used to make fried spam sandwiches with cheese, lettuce and tomato, spam grilled cheese, rice and beans and diced up spam with peppers and onions, spam and eggs, spam in sauce over pasta..the possibilities were endless.

One of my favorites was her spam and macaroni casserole, the recipe is as follows:

2 cups of elbow macaroni
    1 cup of peas
    1 can of spam (diced)
    1 cup of skim milk
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1/2 lb velveeta cheese cubed

Mix all ingredients together, place in casserole dish and bake at 375 for 30 min. You can play around with the ingredients to make it a little more calorie friendly if you choose to do so. The suggested serving size is for 5, and the recipe as listed is 390 calories, 15 grams of fat, 17g of protein.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Hawaiian Spam and eggs?
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It's surprisingly good with pasta. I prefer angel hair. It's good with scrambled eggs too.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sliced Spam and steamed white rice (I get mine from the Korean store... NOT Uncle Ben's or Minute Rice) wrapped in laver. I suppose you could use steamed brown rice, if you have an issue with the white rice. *shrugs*
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    OMG after years of being force fed Spam at boarding school, my only suggestion is bury it in your backyard. Sorry, not very helpful :(