Starting strength training

Options
Happy Weekend everyone!

I want to increase my strength and get rid of my squidge by starting weight lifting. However, I am worried about doing something silly and causing an injury that perhaps won't become apparent for years by which time the damage is done. Perhaps this is me being overly paranoid, but having needed foot surgery on both feet before the age of 25 due to being in so much pain I could barely walk after a day at work (and surgery that is likely to need repeating when I am older as I was so young when I had the surgery!), I am keen to avoid doing anything that'll cause long-term damage to my body. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist and want to do it "right"!

I decided to start off by going to Body Pump classes, and did the first several classes with super low weights to try and get my form right. I have since progressed to heavier and heavier weights, but am still not convinced I'm doing it all as I should. I have asked the instructors specific questions a couple of times but they aren't particularly helpful. I have read about people recommending New Rules of Lifting for Women.

My question is - do you think that attending Body Pump classes is sufficient for learning the proper form for "real" (i.e. non-Body Pump) weight lifting? If not, would New Rules of Lifting for Women be sufficient (or another women's beginner programme), or should I seek expert help? If you suggest speaking to an expert, then how do I go about finding one? I realise that this sounds like a stupid question, but the PTs at my gym only seem to know about the weight machines and not about the free weights! Or am I just being completely overly paranoid and should get stuck in and get on with it???

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My two cents, for whatever it's worth...

I think proper technique and form is absolutely critical to a successful weight lifting routine. To that end, I prefer a progressively loaded routine, such as Stronglifts 5x5 to a more varied workout such as Body Pump/NROLFW.

With SL5x5 you are only doing 5 lifts, starting at very light weight. You can watch videos and learn proper technique. Then video yourself doing the lift and see what you need to correct. You can post those videos to the fantastic group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress and get some advice on how to correct form issues.

Get a good foundation, then branch out to other programs.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be adding barbell squats to a lifting routine, then no, body pump will not help you with form. The bars used are not going to get particularly heavy - if you then went on and tried lift progressively heavier with another programme the form used in body pump would put too much strain on your wrists.

I'd recommend reading starting strength or having a session with a PT or even a session at crossfit to get the correct form.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be adding barbell squats to a lifting routine, then no, body pump will not help you with form. The bars used are not going to get particularly heavy - if you then went on and tried lift progressively heavier with another programme the form used in body pump would put too much strain on your wrists.

I'd recommend reading starting strength or having a session with a PT or even a session at crossfit to get the correct form.

As someone who loves crossfit and does it as my primary form of exercise, I should caution that bad trainers are unfortunately present in crossfit. Look at their experience, see if they have a fundamentals class, and make sure they push form above completion.

Starting Strength or my favorite "Becoming A Supple Leopard" are both excellent print resources. The Supple Leopard book goes into a lot of mobility techniques that can help prevent injury and improve your ability to do lifts with full range of motion as well.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this is me being overly paranoid, but having needed foot surgery on both feet before the age of 25 due to being in so much pain I could barely walk after a day at work (and surgery that is likely to need repeating when I am older as I was so young when I had the surgery!), I am keen to avoid doing anything that'll cause long-term damage to my body. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist and want to do it "right"!

Since you have a foot problems, you likely have imbalances elsewhere that will affect your form. Books & videos do NOT cover every known form deviation, only the more common ones. And Bodypump instructors can't correct everyone's form - even if they were qualified to do so (which they are not, since they aren't usually personal trainers). Bottom line - work with a good personal trainer for a few sessions.. preferably a trainer with a kinesiology degree or a good cert like NASM or ACSM. Maybe you can find one on Craigslist or Ideafit.com, and work with them at your gym or - if they don't allow that - another gym.
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to have a look at the books mentioned and also ask at my gym again to see if there is a specific member of staff that I can book a session with. I'm excited about starting, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right!!
  • TagEHeuer
    Options
    Convict Conditioning, that's all I have to say. Look it up. better than weight training.