Lose 2 Stone by July?!?!?!

Options
Hi, I'm 5ft and weigh 9 stone. I would really like to lose 2 stone by july!!! Please give me some advice?! Or even on weight training, but i dont want to get any heavier if thats possibly?!

Replies

• algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    losing 2 stone in that space of time is unrealistic and not advised.lower youl goals.lose 2 stone over at least 6 months and this will be far more benifitial to you in the long term.a loss target of a pound a week is better for you and much more achieable,i wish you well i hope this helped.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5ft and weigh 9 stone. I would really like to lose 2 stone by july!!! Please give me some advice?! Or even on weight training, but i dont want to get any heavier if thats possibly?!

WHAT? You only weigh 9 stone .. and want to lose 2? THAT's over 20% of your body weight in 3 MONTHS??????

You really want advice? .. O.K Then please go see someone who knows A LOT more about you then we can ever know and can give you proper professional advice NOT Interweb pseudo advice.
  • seehowyousoar
    seehowyousoar Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't you think losing 2 stone is a bit much? If you lost it, you'd be at the VERY BOTTOM of the normal, healthy weight range for your height... I think your realistic goal should be 1 stone, 1.5 stone at most.. :-)

Take it slow, don't worry too much about it. 9 stone isn't even a lot anyway! Just eat healthy and give it some time, remember you're doing this for you. Do it for your health. :)
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Two stone in two months is do able if you are morbidly obese or if you have anorexia.

Your relationship with your weight is not healthy. Not wanting to gain? If you did heavy weightlifting you could gain a stone and become smaller than you are now at the same time.

See a professional before you harm yourself.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Don't you think losing 2 stone is a bit much? If you lost it, you'd be at the VERY BOTTOM of the normal, healthy weight range for your height... I think your realistic goal should be 1 stone, 1.5 stone at most.. :-)

Take it slow, don't worry too much about it. 9 stone isn't even a lot anyway! Just eat healthy and give it some time, remember you're doing this for you. Do it for your health. :)

9 stone isn't right at the bottom of the healthy weight range

9 stone = 126 lb which is at the higher end of the BMI range for 5 foot.

OP what's your body fat percentage? If you don't know that then you don't know how much you should be aiming to lose. You're in the healthy BMI range... it's likely that the changes you want to see in your body won't come from losing more and more weight. Find out what your body fat percentage is and what body fat percentage you need to look the way you want to look. Leigh Peele's blog has information about that. Then focus on lowering your body fat percentage, rather than what you weigh on the scale. To lower your body fat percentage, you need to do some kind of strength training and eat plenty of protein, but eat at a small deficit for fat loss... the aim is to lose only fat while maintaining your lean mass so your body fat percentage gets lower. Where you end up in terms of scale weight depends on your frame size. But no matter what, you'll look totally fit and you'll fit into small sized clothes.

ETA: also to mention that you can't just pick any weight within the BMI range and expect to be healthy at that weight, larger framed people are not healthy at the low end of the BMI range. This is why it's important to know your body fat percentage and use that as a guide to your goal weight, not just picking any random weight off the BMI chart, or assuming that right down the bottom of the BMI range is healthy for everyone. The bottom of that range is only healthy for small framed people.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? It's not good for your body to lose weight that drastically, aim for 1lb a week, it's sensible plus you won't be starving yourself hence feeling hungry constantly.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    I'm not a Doctor, nor do I play one on the interweb!!

WARNING Do NOT take advice off the internet!!.. It can be VERY wrong and Dangerous.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options

OP what's your body fat percentage? If you don't know that then you don't know how much you should be aiming to lose. You're in the healthy BMI range... it's likely that the changes you want to see in your body won't come from losing more and more weight. Find out what your body fat percentage is and what body fat percentage you need to look the way you want to look. Leigh Peele's blog has information about that. Then focus on lowering your body fat percentage, rather than what you weigh on the scale. To lower your body fat percentage, you need to do some kind of strength training and eat plenty of protein, but eat at a small deficit for fat loss... the aim is to lose only fat while maintaining your lean mass so your body fat percentage gets lower. Where you end up in terms of scale weight depends on your frame size. But no matter what, you'll look totally fit and you'll fit into small sized clothes.

ETA: also to mention that you can't just pick any weight within the BMI range and expect to be healthy at that weight, larger framed people are not healthy at the low end of the BMI range. This is why it's important to know your body fat percentage and use that as a guide to your goal weight, not just picking any random weight off the BMI chart, or assuming that right down the bottom of the BMI range is healthy for everyone. The bottom of that range is only healthy for small framed people.

IF she lost it she would be
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    ^^^ sorry... I misread you!
  • PixieDustTwinkleToes
    PixieDustTwinkleToes Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Pretty sure OP stated they were 9 stone currently, which would end up putting them at 7 stone. Although that's not underweight for 5ft, it is at the lower end of healthy and wanting to achieve that by July seems rather unrealistic unless a body part amputation is on the cards.

OP, like seehowyousoar said, try aiming for 1 stone and do some heavy lifting along with a program like Jillian Michael's 30 day shred or Turbofire to tighten everything up.
  • BarbieBarbBarb
    BarbieBarbBarb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why is it unrealistic? There are just over 14 weeks till the end of July (my goal date). A loss of 2 lb/wk = 2 stone. Even assuming the query was for the start of July, a sensible diet (say 1400 cals/day) combined with regular exercise (something as simple as very brisk walking for at least an hour each day) will get you to, or close to, the target. I know, because I've done it. Light jogging is even more effective.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    2lbs per week is the absolute most you should ever lose if you want to lose weight healthily and sustainably. The closer you are to your goal, the slower you should be losing. 2 lbs a week for someone who weighs 9 stone is unrealistic.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Why is it unrealistic? There are just over 14 weeks till the end of July (my goal date). A loss of 2 lb/wk = 2 stone. Even assuming the query was for the start of July, a sensible diet (say 1400 cals/day) combined with regular exercise (something as simple as very brisk walking for at least an hour each day) will get you to, or close to, the target. I know, because I've done it. Light jogging is even more effective.
    2 lbs per week is what a morbidly obese person could set as goal. Someone already close to the goal weight could not safely lose that fast.
    Also, I cannot imagine what crazy math ends in expecting a 5 ft person, already at a healthy weight, to lose that fast by eating 1400 calories per day and walking. The 1400 goal is realistic and healthy for this height and light exercise, but would result in 2 lbs per month or so, which is actually a very good rate for the goals stated in the original post. The OP's TDEE with light exercise would be around 1600-1800, so a 200 calorie deficit, which is perfectly healthy, will not result in insanely fast weight loss.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

Because the OP wants to lose 20% of body weight .... That 2lb a week figure is aimed at folks who at lot heavier... The actual fact of giving a definitive number of Lbs is an over simplification ... %ages would be better but folks don't like dong maths
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    AN 18 year old female who is already in a healthy weight range but wants to lose a large amount of weight in a short period of time. I wish I could say I was surprised but I'm not. I just find it very sad. Health is not just about losing weight it's far more
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    AN 18 year old female who is already in a healthy weight range but wants to lose a large amount of weight in a short period of time. I wish I could say I was surprised but I'm not. I just find it very sad. Health is not just about losing weight it's far more

Spot On!