Machu Picchu

Options
Has anyone been there? I've been looking into and was thinking about doing the Inca trail. Just looking for peoples opinions on it. I certainly wouldn't be going before next year anyway and need to find people to go with but I think its something I want to do.

I actually work at Skara Brae in Orkney which is a wee abandoned village which was found burried as if it was abandoned in a hurry so I think I would really appreciate Machu Picchu but I almost feel it would be a waste of time and money if it is really really busy.

Replies

• ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Had a trip in Peru' 20 years ago and obviously I couldn't miss the Machu Picchu. Yep, there were people around but it didn't disturb me. Went up to the Huayna Picchu peak and there was barely anybody. Loved it. Peru' will always be in my heart.
  • LaSuiza
    LaSuiza Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Its not a waste of time or money, I was there two years ago and it was the most incredible place I've ever seen. Just make sure yku get there early, like at 6am. Its crowded but not too much.
  • mish_
    mish_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been twice before and loved it each time! I have never done the Inca trail before, but I've seen what it's like and heard about it from others.

In regards to doing the trail, it really depends on what you want out of your trip. If you're going for an adventure trip or as a fitness challenge, it may be worth doing. If you're planning on just going to Machu Picchu and seeing the ruins, I wouldn't recommend the trail. I think the trail goes for between 4-7 days and it's quite an arduous trek with not much scenery around, other than endless mountains. If sightseeing is your main goal, I'd recommend staying in Aguas Calientes at the base of Machu Picchu and catching a 20 minute bus up the mountain. From there, you have to walk/climb for approximately 20 minutes to reach the entrance of Machu Picchu.

If you decide to go, make sure you that you buy a pass into Machu Picchu in advance, as there can be restrictions on the number of people allowed in each day. When I went, there were obviously other tourists around too, but it wasn't overwhelmingly busy. It's a good idea to take the bus up early in the morning and avoid the mad tourist rush.

In the past, I've booked tours with Condor Travel and they have been amazing. A guided tour would be recommended, especially if you are interested in hearing about the history of the site. I hope you enjoy your trip!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I went in 2009. I took the train there, I forget from where, but when I got there I took the bus up those steep hills. It's definitely worth it. Plus you get to say you've been to Machu Picchu :glasses:
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I did the Inca trail in 2012, hardest thing I've ever done because I wasn't very fit but seeing Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I'm sure it's great to go on the train on a day trip but the experience of doing the actual trail was fantastic.

Sorry just need to add after a comment about there not being any sightseeing. The sightseeing is amazing! There are other ruins on the way, we camped out at some which were absolutely stunning. The scenery is just something else.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Between 2008 and 2009 I went to Machu Picchu 3 times (long story). I'm Peruvian that was born in Brooklyn NY. I went on 2 guided tours then went with my friend on my own and did our own thing. My best experience was without the guides. They rush you through the whole ruins and you really miss the beauty of it.

Last time I stayed at Aguas Calients in this little hotel, cost about $40 per night, with breakfast. They recommended we take the first bus up. It was about 5:30am and we were waiting for the bus. It is beautiful seeing the sun rise on the ruins. We trekked the ruins for about 8 hours climbed Huayna Picchu, and others. Took a ton of pictures. The only reason we left was because we ran out of water and got dehydrated. Next morning every muscle in my body ached, even my friend was achy and she was an active hiker.

Be prepared for the altitude, even though my ancestry is Peruvian (both parents born in Peru) I had trouble adjusting to the thinner air. Only drink bottled water and ask for drinks with no ice. Once you get to Peru, just go to any pharmacy and ask them to give you something for altitude sickness, and for diarrhea. Take those every day, I did and did not get sick at all. You do not need a script for these.

The Inca trail involves a lot of camping, and this New Yorker was not up for sleeping in the ground and pooping in the woods.

Low season in Peru is during the winter months, they opposite the seasons in the states. We went in May, just as it was getting colder. Not real busy, take a sweater or jacket, but not too cold. In the morning I took a sweater with me by 11am I had the sweater tied around my waist.

Enjoy Peru it is beautiful, spend some time in Cusco and Lima. Miraflores is very tourist friendly, and the food amazing. I miss Peru!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Oh wow okay I might not bother with the hike then. There are a lot of hikes closer to home if that's the case. Will definitely look into getting the bus up there though!!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I hiked the Inca trail in June 2010. It is absolutely worth it! The Inca Trail is one of he most highly regarded trails in the world. The scenery is incredible, and you get to see additional ruins. The camping is fun, the tour groups have wonderful food, and the feeling of accomplishment at the end is well worth it! It is so much better and more interesting than just taking the train. I don't remember the name of our tour company off-hand, but I can look it up if you want.

Note that the person who said hiking the trail isn't worth it has never done it....

You need to make the reservation months in advance. When were you wanting to go?
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yes I've been! Its amazing and honestly it's one of the best experiences I ever had! I did a slightly different inca trail, where you do white water rafting and zip lining and stay in cabins. I loved it.

The altitude is very high, so you need to be aware of that, and I imagine being generally fit helps. Also I'd say spring or late summer (September ish) would be the best times to go. I believe they close the trail in the winter.