Carbs, how do I cut bread?

Options
My biggest weakness is carbs. Starchy bread. I admit that I can easily just snack on bread and then at the end of the day when I'm truly hungry I get angry at myself because I know most of my calories come from bread. I actually managed to cut bread out for almost two weeks once. Has anyone managed to cut bread out of their diet? was it for the best?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My biggest weakness is carbs. Starchy bread. I admit that I can easily just snack on bread and then at the end of the day when I'm truly hungry I get angry at myself because I know most of my calories come from bread. I actually managed to cut bread out for almost two weeks once. Has anyone managed to cut bread out of their diet? was it for the best?
    Albert Einsteins definition of insanity was 'doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.' So if you have failed to cut bread out of your diet why keep doing it?. It's obviously not working. There is nothing wrong with carbs despite the carb hatred that seems to fly around as with any other food source moderation is the key. Have a limited supply in the house. Buy a loaf of bread and freeze a large portion of it.

Also why do you want to snack at the end of the day that would make me think you're not getting enough nutrition through the rest of the day. Your diet is not just one item it's the whole picture and you need to be looking at that rather than just one so called 'bad' item.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's protein goal as a minimum (fiber, too) and ignore fat & carbs. Doing that requires eating fewer carbs, but trying to eat more protein feels a whole lot better than focusing on denying myself yummy, yummy carbs.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I find a serrated knife works the best, it allows you to slice through the bread without exerting much downward force, keeping the loaf at it's optimal height.
  • whisperfitandhealthy
    Options
    Albert Einsteins definition of insanity was 'doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.' So if you have failed to cut bread out of your diet why keep doing it?. It's obviously not working. There is nothing wrong with carbs despite the carb hatred that seems to fly around as with any other food source moderation is the key. Have a limited supply in the house. Buy a loaf of bread and freeze a large portion of it.

Also why do you want to snack at the end of the day that would make me think you're not getting enough nutrition through the rest of the day. Your diet is not just one item it's the whole picture and you need to be looking at that rather than just one so called 'bad' item.

I wish it was that easy. I live with a very large extended family and we buy 6-10 loaves at a time. I try to limit my intake, but when boredom strikes I reach for the bread. I know it isn't smart or healthy. I've been trying to change this behavior and get out of the house when I want to snack. And I know on most days I don't eat the way I should. I don't eat bad food. I eat protein and a lot of fiber in my diet but I don't eat when I should. It's another habit I'm working on. Some days my schedule is so full with work that I don't really have time to stop and take care of myself. My medication also reduces my appetite so I have to make sure I eat.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    With a bread knife.

If you want to cut bread out then just stop eating it. Change the bread for something else. I have cut it out of most of my meals because it was hindering me from hitting my macros. That's the only reason why I've done it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You take a knife...

Um sorry. I buy breads I like enough but won't be tempted to binge on. So basically the prepackaged processed stuff at the supermarket. And mostly try not to have any most days, because it just doesn't fill me up for the calories, but if I start, I'll want more. So it all comes to planning meals that are not sandwiches, pretty much.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I sympathize.

If you have a large family, bread is a necessity. Would it be possible to buy a different type of bread, one that you like less? Might help you avoid overeating on it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Mostly.

I don't buy it in the first place generally.

Do occiasonally when I can make it fit macros.

I do like it, but not enough to justify the calories and know I will be go through it.

I'll often replace it with lettuce to hold my food in - some big leaves can hold a burger, other salad and meat quite nicely.
  • helizi
    helizi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bread itself isn't the problem here, it's the habit and eating when bored. What I suggest is that when a bread craving hits, make yourself wait fifteen minutes before allowing yourself to have it. Sometimes the craving will fade in just that time, but even if it doesn't it'll make you more mindful of your eating.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    <<how do I cut bread?>>

I use a serrated knife or buy sliced :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Note to self .. read the complete thread before posting .. you're not the only obtuse, pedantic arsehole in here :tongue:
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I for the most part do not like store bought bread,so it was easy for me to give it up,,I do not own a bread machine for this reason! but if your eating it when your bored try going for a walk instead,or do a DVD workout,,try Shaun T Hip Hop Abs,,its actually really fun and who cares if you look stupid at midnight in your own home!
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Paleo recipes call for coconut flour and I guess this is what they use to make pancakes and muffins vs eating grans. try looking at paleo recipes/coconut flour recipes.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't completely cut out bread. What I recommend is not snacking on it, but having it at meals with burgers (whether meat or not). But if you have a second, not eating the bread maybe? Also, definitely make sure it's whole grain. Sprouted grain bread is really good for you and it's whole grain (though it tends to be expensive).