Favorite Low Fat Proteins

Options
RejsGirl
RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
I'm having a bit of trouble with my protein. I love chicken & seafood and an occasional steak. My doctor says I need to increase my protein intake. I realistically eat only about 3-5 oz. of protein per day and should be getting at least 9! What do you eat when you need a hefty dose of protein? (I don't use anything that I can't buy from the grocery store, no powders, no specialty bars, none of that stuff. Not that I'm against doing that, I just want to do my best to not have to use special food.)

TIA!

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Tuna, haddock, halibut, and cod. I don't like cod but these 4 fish are 29-43g of protein per 6 oz(tuna 43). Yogurt cheese is packed with protein, you can buy a yogurt sieve and make your own. Kroger carbmaster skim milk is only 60 cals a cup and has 11g of protein. Egg whites are also readily available at the store and are very high in protein.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Nonfat Greek yogurt is a great way to get good protein. Although you were focusing on meat, the yogurt I buy is only 80 calories, no fat/ saturated fat, and 12 grams of protein. Sometimes, I'll buy 3 of the individual cups for lunch. 36 grams of protein for only 240 calories.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    whites_product_img.jpg
    4.4 calories per gram of protein.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I love deli sliced ham and such...
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Fish or honey/peanut butter/nutella and some non-fat Greek Yogurt (I prefer full fat, but it's easier for me to hit my macros with non-fat!)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Lentils, quinoa, greens, oatmeal, beans, seeds, nuts.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    If muscle came from food, you would see big built guys with "Gold's Kitchen" T-shirts. Large muscles comes from a specific type of workout program, which i don't engage in. I do engage in 2 sports at the moment, and those are running, and cycling. I have seen gains in both.

Can you tell my gains from one picture that is 2 years old? I only have one picture on this site. Can you tell how much i can lift from that one pic? Can you tell progression from a single pic?
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Steamed barramundi or Tassie salmon and kangaroo fillet - the leanest red meat there is and 20grams of protein per 100grams of meat.

I have just started trying a protein powder called 180 Natural Protein superfood which has lots of chopped up nuts and seeds added. The ingredients are: Whey protein isolate, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, almond meal, sunflower kernels, sesame seeds, pepitas, chia seeds, psyllium husks, inactive dried yeast and stevia - so completely natural with 44grams of protein per 100gram serve of powder. Very nice added to a smoothie with almond milk and banana :drinker:
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! Gonna do my best to get my 9 oz. today!
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    beef jerky (jerky hut is really good) 1 ounce 90 calories 14 grams of protein, I believe. Tasty, too!
    Greek yogurt
    cold cuts give you a good protein bang for your calorie buck
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    fish, shrimp, eggs, fiber one plus bars, cottage cheese, turkey jerky, to name a few. A can of tuna with salt and pepper if I'm low on protein, calories and time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my diary is open feel free to browse it..

I would say greek yogurt, cottage cheese, fish, steak, chicken, pork, etc…

you could always increase the portion size of your chicken ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If muscle came from food, you would see big built guys with "Gold's Kitchen" T-shirts. Large muscles comes from a specific type of workout program, which i don't engage in. I do engage in 2 sports at the moment, and those are running, and cycling. I have seen gains in both.

Can you tell my gains from one picture that is 2 years old? I only have one picture on this site. Can you tell how much i can lift from that one pic? Can you tell progression from a single pic?

and this has what to do with OP's post…?
  • Rocbola
    Options

and this has what to do with OP's post…?
    It was in response to a post that was removed.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Turkey and tuna are my two biggies. Salmon, if I need the oil.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Copied from a thread about protein sources, the number next to the name indicates the number of calories in the food per gram of protein to give you a sense of which might fit with your desire for low fat sources:

Calories per gram protein:

Veg*ns keep out
    Tuna - canned (water/drained) 4.6
    Cod - fresh 4.6
    Chicken Breast (meat only) 4.8
    Turkey - white meat 4.9
    Pork chops - trimmed 5.1
    Tilapia 5.1
    Sea Bass - fresh 5.2
    Shrimp 5.3
    Halibut 5.3
    Tuna - fresh 6.1
    Beef lean (trimmed) 7.7
    Salmon - fresh/farmed 10.3
    Lamb - trimmed 10.5
    Beef Jerky 11.7
    Bacon - cured 42.7

Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    Eggs (which are not low fat but are yummy) and cottage cheese.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My main sources of protein are eggs, Greek yogurt (I vary between, nonfat, low fat, and full fat--fat isn't always the enemy!), tuna, chicken breast, ground turkey or chicken, tilapia, flounder, salmon, canned tuna, quinoa, lentils and beans, turkey and beef jerky, and sometimes flank steak (when it's on sale). I do eat protein bars and have protein shakes sometimes, but I try to get as much protein from whole foods as I can.