Running question...help please.

Options
Ok so I'm not really a runner...yet. I used to be, when I was in the military and loved it. Years of driving truck and sitting has caused me to gain weight and now I am trying to lose it. My question is this. I was walking the other day, decided to try running for a bit. Almost made it 1/8 of a mile non stop. LOL Anyway, I noticed that I run flat footed, instead of coming down on my heels like most runners do. Is that good, or bad and if so, how do I train myself out of it?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you don't really want to be a heel striker, it's considered better form if you have a mid-foot strike (even though there are lots of very accomplished runners - including elite athletes - who are heel strikers)

Your gait should be natural and comfortable. Ideally you should be aiming for a shortish stride (your front foot doesn't extend too much forward of your hips) and focus more on a faster foot turnover (90 stride per minute or so - but you don't need to take a metronome along for the run).

If you google good running form you'll find lots of videos that demonstrate this method (again, your stride should be natural)

Something else that is supposed to be helpful in developing a midfoot strike(I haven't tried them myself ) are some of the minimalist or barefoot shoes.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hmm good question. First, good for you for getting back into running! It'll suck you on before you know it! lol Anyway, I'm the type of runner who just runs and doesn't put too much thought into it. I know that's not what I'm supposed to do, but oh well. Works for me! :) That said, have you thought about going into a local running store and getting a gait analysis? Might help with your issue.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you don't really want to be a heel striker, it's considered better form if you have a mid-foot strike (even though there are lots of very accomplished runners - including elite athletes - who are heel strikers)

Your gait should be natural and comfortable. Ideally you should be aiming for a shortish stride (your front foot doesn't extend too much forward of your hips) and focus more on a faster foot turnover (90 stride per minute or so - but you don't need to take a metronome along for the run).

If you google good running form you'll find lots of videos that demonstrate this method (again, your stride should be natural)

Something else that is supposed to be helpful in developing a midfoot strike(I haven't tried them myself ) are some of the minimalist or barefoot shoes.

this is pretty much what i would write.

i wasn't that great of a runner when i was starting out, and then i switched to minimalist shoes and that changed. i love to run in my minimalist shoes. i prefer the ones that aren't super aggressive, so my shoes do have arch support and a 4mm raise, not totally flat-footed.

i strike middle of the foot, and keep my stride pretty tight. my foot lands pretty much under my body. i don't have that long stride, but thats okay, it hasn't stopped me yet!
  • NancyH66
    NancyH66 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your form. Worry about getting good running shoes and then embarking on a sensible training program. It is *very* easy to overdo it in the beginning. Don't hurt yourself!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

+1
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    To know if you strike mid foot, run in place for a minute and see how that feels. That's mid foot running. Heel striking is not considered to be optimal because it can open you up to a host of injuries. Stride is also very important. I had to learn not to extend my legs too much when I run because it was causing my knees to hurt.

Get back to running slowly. Enjoy it.
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the advice. I've always been more of a walker/hiker type, but I do recall enjoying running while in the military. Not sure if I enjoyed it really, or if I had convinced myself of that because I had to do it anyway!! LOL I guess my first step is good shoes, to make sure I've got the right shoes for running.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm not really a runner...yet. I used to be, when I was in the military and loved it. Years of driving truck and sitting has caused me to gain weight and now I am trying to lose it. My question is this. I was walking the other day, decided to try running for a bit. Almost made it 1/8 of a mile non stop. LOL Anyway, I noticed that I run flat footed, instead of coming down on my heels like most runners do. Is that good, or bad and if so, how do I train myself out of it?

You don't want to land on heels, you want to land mid foot
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Most of my reading has stated that trying to change your natural gait and foot strike can cause more problems than it's worth. If you are naturally a mid foot striker, super- don't change it. If you were a heel striker, maybe not so super, but trying to change it too much might cause you more problems. I'm kind of in between, leaning more towards heel striking, especially when I get tired. I tried to change it... right around the time I wound up with shin splint... correlation doesn't equal causation, but I haven't worried about it since I came back from shin splint city and my legs have been fine.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    This is not the question but it may help; c25K. Google it. It is a program that helps you slowly go from a couch potato to a 5K runner gradually over a few weeks. Best wishes on your endeavor...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever read was from Scott Jurek. It doesn't matter if you're a heel, midffoot of forefoot striker just run light! If you have no specific problems changing your natural gait can cause more problems than it solves.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I run flat footed, instead of coming down on my heels like most runners do. Is that good, or bad and if so, how do I train myself out of it?

Can you just clarify whether you mean that you land on your foot midsole, as described by others above, or your foot slaps down when you land?

If its the former, not really an issue. I've found that as my form has improved I've moved towards a midfoot landing rather than heelstrike, which is leaving me far more comfortable and I've not suffered any injuries in a year.

If the latter it suggests that you need to work on strengthening the shin muscle and your foot control. There are several execises that you can do to help that.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I first started running in 2010, I tried to be a "perfect" runner. Making sure my foot hit correctly, making sure my stride was perfect, blah blah blah. All I did was cause hip pain because I wasn't allowing myself to run naturally. Once I stopped focusing on making it "right" and just did what felt good to me - it was a lot easier and the pain stopped. Do it how it feels right for YOU and don't worry about what is right for other people.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever read was from Scott Jurek. It doesn't matter if you're a heel, midffoot of forefoot striker just run light! If you have no specific problems changing your natural gait can cause more problems than it solves.
    +1
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Good on ya for wanting to get back into running .. I love it but understand it's not everyone favourite exercise.

There's been a LOT of talk over the past few years about the 'correct' form for running .... Heel .vs. forefoot strikers ..... Natural or Chi running ...... barefoot etc.. etc.... For me, it's all about trying to SELL you something.. MARKETING has to keep coming up with NEW ideas to justify their jobs.

When I was a kid, everyone ran it Plimsolls (daps) then the marketing boys invented 'Structured' shoes (loads of padding - which we never needed before but suddenly we do now :huh: )... Then Barefoot running was 'Invented' :huh: - like it was a super NEW thing and Plimsoll type shoes were popular again ... but wait for it .... at a MUCH Higher price (£100+ for a pair of daps .. F**** Off!).

Personally, I wear Minimalist (zero drop) shoes (like daps) because I have found that I don't get injured so much in them (I used to twist my ankle in 'Structured' shoes and was probably a heel striker in them) - but no more, I mid-foot strike (which works for me - Your Mileage may Differ!).

I find a pair of shoes that suits ME and try to buy a couple of pairs of last season style (Why oh why do they feel the need to keep changing them .... FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!!)

So, bottom line .. Try to find a shoe shop that you can trust. Run in a way that works for you (sounds like you might not be a heel striker - so ask the shoe sales person what style they are and if they don't understand - walk out!! Find someone that knows what you need or better yet, runs in a similar way.. Ask LOADS or questions and try not to be fobbed off.

Watch out for Hype (there's very little NEW - we've been running for millennia without Marketing People!!)....Enjoy your new found running habit. Start slowly and build up a good base fitness level.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I love my minimalist shoes, but agree they aren't for everyone and frankly you need to add distance in them very slowly.
    When I wear 'normal' running shoes, I get lured into heel striking again, unless I make a conscious effort.
    Having said that, minimalist running has improved my speed and comfort, though that may coincide with running longer distances and being more used to it altogether....
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love my minimalist shoes, but agree they aren't for everyone and frankly you need to add distance in them very slowly.
    When I wear 'normal' running shoes, I get lured into heel striking again, unless I make a conscious effort.
    Having said that, minimalist running has improved my speed and comfort, though that may coincide with running longer distances and being more used to it altogether....

yeap .. me too