Upping cals to end plateau?

Options
Hi, a posted a few weeks ago about being sick of eating 1200kcal and barely losing.
After reading people's advice I decided to ditch the scale and start slowly upping my cals. I am currently at 1500 and my clothes feel normal, even a bit looser. However, I feel slightly bloated. I am planning on bringing them up to a minimum of 1600kcal and possibly 1800kcal.
Unfortunately, due to the fact that I am traveling I have had to quit exercising. Still, I do walk 3+ hours daily and go on intense hikes so I think my body needs a break from HIIT.
I would like to know if you broke a plateau through upping cals and cutting on exercise. I know it has worked for many people but I am still pretty scared about leaving the "safe 1200-1400 zone".
Thank you in advance.

A

PS: btw, I am 5'4" and around 127lbs (last weight in). I want to lose around 12lbs but mostly looking for a look than a number (I have no scale lol)

Replies

• absrpp
    absrpp Posts: 20
    Options
    I feel ignored :(
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food diary, why 1200 calories?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You feel a little bloated because your body is storing more energy (glycogen) and water as you increase calories. You probably burn about 2100 calories daily... possibly more if you're actually walking 3 hours daily. You should be eating closer to 1800 for sure. Smaller deficits allow for fat loss without hormonal changes messing with stuff. Keep going... you're doing it right. Get calories closer to normal... it will probably take 3-4 weeks after the increase before you'll start to see that bloat go away again. Don't sweat it. I assure you it's just water weight. But yeah, it feels squishy. That's normal.
  • absrpp
    Options
    Do you have a food diary, why 1200 calories?

I do, and that's what mfp set me up with at first
  • absrpp
    Options
    You feel a little bloated because your body is storing more energy (glycogen) and water as you increase calories. You probably burn about 2100 calories daily... possibly more if you're actually walking 3 hours daily. You should be eating closer to 1800 for sure. Smaller deficits allow for fat loss without hormonal changes messing with stuff. Keep going... you're doing it right. Get calories closer to normal... it will probably take 3-4 weeks after the increase before you'll start to see that bloat go away again. Don't sweat it. I assure you it's just water weight. But yeah, it feels squishy. That's normal.

Thank you for this!
    I was wondering if you're speaking from personal experience :)
  • michellekicks
    Options

Thank you for this!
    I was wondering if you're speaking from personal experience :)

I've had lots of experience with shifting calorie levels from a cut to maintenance because I'm a runner and always aim to eat at maintenance leading up to a race. So I know when I bump up calories - even without going over maintenance - I have a temporary increase in weight as my body stores more glycogen... I do this on purpose to carb-load for events. As soon as I go back to a cut the water weight comes back off.

When you increase calories but not completely to maintenance, there is still a minimal gain effect - plus you can feel yourself get softer (I can, anyway) until your body sort of adjusts. What you end up with is a higher hydration level but then fat stores keep burning off. It ends up looking like a plateau or even a small gain before losses begin again at the higher calorie level.
  • absrpp
    Options
    Thank you!
    I weighted myself and, since I have increased my calorie intake, there's been a 2lbs loss. :D
  • michellekicks
    Options
    ^ Even better!