milks what is best for you?

Options

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Cow because it's natural

cows milk naturally meant for a cows calf not humans

almonds,rice,soy,coconut,cashew,oats, your mothers breast milk -- all natural

I'm not sure how one can conclude that nuts turned into milk is "natural," but not cow's milk.

And I'm also not sure who decides a cow's milk is not meant for humans, while almonds are. We can't show that an almond was meant to be consumed by humans any more than cow milk.

I'll take the available nutrients I can get. All of us will, to survive. That's been the story since day one.

To the OP's question, I definitely prefer cow milk.

hmmm well considering a cow lactates for there new born baby...not some human being... then yea we can say that naturally that milk is created and intended for the calf not for some human to take

so you are saying anything you make out of any natural product is not natural?? lol okay man
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    As far as micronutrients go, they tend to be the same. The different sorts of milk have different macro profiles though, so you have to balance things out. Go by taste and cost, really.

LOL at the notion of commercially available dairy milk being 'whole' or 'unprocessed'. In most developed countries, milk is pasteurized, filtered and fortified with vitamin D before being sold (in fact, the law requires this in a lot of places). It is sometimes fortified with vitamin A as well.
  • mctrader07
    mctrader07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    im going to go with this:

genetics people have been drinking cows milk ffrom ancient times its in our genetics therefore the best.

end of story
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Cow because it's natural

cows milk naturally meant for a cows calf not humans

almonds,rice,soy,coconut,cashew,oats, your mothers breast milk -- all natural

I'm not sure how one can conclude that nuts turned into milk is "natural," but not cow's milk.

And I'm also not sure who decides a cow's milk is not meant for humans, while almonds are. We can't show that an almond was meant to be consumed by humans any more than cow milk.

I'll take the available nutrients I can get. All of us will, to survive. That's been the story since day one.

To the OP's question, I definitely prefer cow milk.

hmmm well considering a cow lactates for there new born baby...not some human being... then yea we can say that naturally that milk is created and intended for the calf not for some human to take

so you are saying anything you make out of any natural product is not natural?? lol okay man

But does an almond grow for the intended purpose of humans eating it? Absolutely not. But we eat it because we like it and it provides nutrients. Same with cow milk. Same with anything else we find to eat. We aren't going to breastfeed our entire life, so eventually our diet will consist entirely of things that don't exist for the express purpose of humans eating it.

I'm not saying that if you make something from a "natural" product that it is not "natural" anymore. I'm just saying that almonds, etc. are no more "natural" than cow milk. And eating almonds is no more natural than drinking cow milk.

I guess what you call natural is all going to be a matter of opinion. It's all semantics. Everything's just a concoction of chemicals anyway when you get down to it.
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk. It's very smooth and if you put a little cocoa powder in it tastes just like a Hershey almond candy bar. :)

Nutrition wise it's lower in calories and has more calcium than cow's milk, but I don't have anything against cow's milk and drank it my whole life prior to discovering almond milk a few months ago. My kids still prefer cow's milk (no allergy issues) and I buy 1%. Never tried rice or soy milk, though, so those may be better options for you. I know a lot of people who like rice milk.

I guess it just depends what YOU are looking for in a milk.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    thank I loved your reply, I will take it into consideration
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Cow milk definitely not. It's actually bad for you: Due to it being processed all the good enzymes are destroyed. Also we can't digest several amounts of substances in the milk, so it takes longer to digest. This included lactose.

Only people with lactose intolerance can't digest lactose. Everyone else can.

By processed do you mean pasteurisation? That's to stop people getting food poisoning. It's destroying pathogens and slowing down how long it takes milk to go rotten. Pasteurisation does not meaningfully lower the nutritional value of cow's milk:

"It is demonstrated that consumption of raw milk poses a realistic health threat due to a possible contamination with human pathogens. It is therefore strongly recommended that milk should be heated before consumption. With the exception of an altered organoleptic profile, heating (in particularly ultra high temperature and similar treatments) will not substantially change the nutritional value of raw milk or other benefits associated with raw milk consumption."
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S095671351200535X

I thought lactose 'intolerance' was the normal state and everyone else was just lactose tolerant?

I read somewhere that babies start to lose their lactase enzyme around the age that they would naturally be weaned. It is only in the west where dairy consumption is large where we continue to produce lactase as adults and are lactose tolerant. In other countries where it isnt a big part of the diet most people are lactose intolerant. It seems intuitive seeing as milk is made for baby mammals so adults shouldnt need to digest lactose. Dont quote me on it though, just remember thinking it was interesting at the time. Probably completely wrong lol.

Personally I much prefer soy or almond milk but thats just what I find tastier. Plus after breastfeeding for nearly 2 years I just cant seem to get a cup of cow milk to my lips without feeling wrong. It just doesnt feel right. Dont mind putting it in cooking though.

Yes, we evolved to be able to continue to consume dairy products.

Many animals drink the milk of other species if given the chance--you see pictures all the time of a dog or cat adopting and suckling some other animal babies every month or so on the Internet. In England, customers were complaining that the cream was being stolen from their milk bottles. Turned out it was being done by crows that learned to open the milk bottles and drink the cream. Man is just the only animal that has been able to regularly and efficiently procure another animal's milk for their own consumption. If my dog had thumbs, she'd milk a cow in a heartbeat. She loves milk.

The majority of humans are not able to drink cow's milk; they are lactose intolerant because the gene to use lactose shuts off. A minority have a mutation that allows us to continue to drink it without ill effects.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Seriously,

"The majority of humans are not able to drink cow's milk; they are lactose intolerant because the gene to use lactose shuts off. A minority have a mutation that allows us to continue to drink it without ill effects."

This is just false.

I personally prefer 1% cows milk.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i have semi skimmed cows milk if im drinking it straight, in my coffee, tea and in milk based desserts

i use unsweetened almond milk in my smoothies
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'd return the yogurt maker. I go through two gallons of milk a week making yogurt. All you need is a pan to heat the milk, a starter, and an oven to incubate. It is very simple and does not require a special appliance.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I drink light soy milk since it has a good combination of taste, protein, and low calorie. Hemp milk is also very nice but the soy milk is so much cheaper I just can't justify buying the hemp.
  • bigbadbubz
    Options
    personally..rice or soya milk
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than unpasteurized, unhomogenized raw milk right from the holding tank at the dairy farm. Yum.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Cows milk. All other ''milks'' (I've always been curious as to how they can be described as milk..when I was younger I had an image of someone milking tiny teets on almonds) taste weird and synthetic to me. But whatever floats your boat.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than unpasteurized, unhomogenized raw milk right from the holding tank at the dairy farm. Yum.
    This true, unprocessed milk is delicious.

If it were easily available, I would buy it. Unfortunately it isn't and processed milk tastes off to me, so I drink almond milk. It's funny that some find the concept of nut milks strange but don't bat an eyelid at the notion of peanut butter...
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Seriously,

"The majority of humans are not able to drink cow's milk; they are lactose intolerant because the gene to use lactose shuts off. A minority have a mutation that allows us to continue to drink it without ill effects."

This is just false.

I personally prefer 1% cows milk.

Have you done any research. The norm for humans is lactose intolerance. Most people throughout the world are lactose intolerant. Many westerners have a mutation that allows us to drink milk past childhood. But that is not the case in much of the world. Look it up.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. For me, almond is best, since I don't process casein (milk protein) properly and it makes me sick. Almond tastes good, is interchangeable with regular milk in recipes, and has 50% more calcium than cow's milk. It's not a decent source of protein, but I get my protein other ways so that doesn't matter. If you get the unsweetened kind, almond milk has zero grams of sugar.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    A question if any of you know, I would appreciate some feedback
    What milk is best:
    Cow, almond, soy or almond? and why ?
    I just purchased a yogurt maker and looking forward to making the best for your health.

I think it depends on your personal preference as well as your health. I drink none of those milks you mentioned, or any other milk and I am fine.
    I have made my own yogurt for 40 years now and never owned a yogurt maker. With all due respect for me a yogurt maker is more of a toy, because it does not meet my needs. Usually they just make six little cups and since I eat yogurt as a protein replacement ( to eat plain, replace cream, on top of savory food, in savory Lassi etc ) I make yogurt from 3 liters of milk every two weeks and then store it in 3 one liter containers.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your goals and your tastes. Soy milk will have more protein. Almond milk will have fewer calories. They all have varying nutritional profiles. I prefer the unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It has 40 calories per cup, costs slightly less than cow's milk, it comes in gallon jugs from my local membership warehouse, and it lasts much longer than cow's milk.

ETA: Also, you can cook and bake with the substitute milks...the only thing you can't do is make pudding. It won't set without the milk proteins. It will sorta work if you use half the amount of liquid, but it won't be the same.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    my great grandpa drank cows milk everyday and ate caramelised pig fat (it's one type of serbian food that i personally never liked). he lived until he was 99 and a half.