Cell Phones while Walking/Running

I just started training for a 5k and want to know what to do with my cell phone while walking/running. I use it to listen to music and am afraid it will fall out of my pocket. I was looking for something that would wrap around the arm or wrist but am not having much luck.

Replies

• annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    I use a TuneBelt around my waist for my iPhone, but they also make armbands for various cell phones. You can them directly from TuneBelt.com or Amazon.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I use an arm band.

But when it's rainy or cold, and I want to wear my light jacket, I have a hole in the pcoket that I thread the earphones through. This allows me to keep the pocket zipped closed with the phone inside.

I'd like to take credit for the idea, but really, the hole came about when my dog chewed it cos I'd left some liver treats inside.....

I do make holes in the shoulders of my running Tees, though, for the earphone-threading thing.
  • I HATE HAVING A CELLPHONE ON ME WHILE RUNNING
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    I stick it in the bra. But I tend to do that even when I'm not running :)
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    They sell cheap arm bands. Get one! :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I stick it in the bra. But I tend to do that even when I'm not running :)

That's how I broke my first phone from water damage. Be careful.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I HATE HAVING A CELLPHONE ON ME WHILE RUNNING

Caps_Lock.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I use an arm band.

But when it's rainy or cold, and I want to wear my light jacket, I have a hole in the pcoket that I thread the earphones through. This allows me to keep the pocket zipped closed with the phone inside.

I'd like to take credit for the idea, but really, the hole came about when my dog chewed it cos I'd left some liver treats inside.....

I do make holes in the shoulders of my running Tees, though, for the earphone-threading thing.

Me too, both the armband and jacket, but my running jackets have the hole already there. If I use one that doesn't I just leave the zipper open a tiny bit. I also put the phone in a plastic baggie and punch a hole in it for those really wet days, just in case.

Where have you been looking? I see them everywhere. I think my husband bought my last one at Winners. Walmart and those places will carry them, eBay as well.
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    I put it down my bra.

However, I did this when I did the Great North Run several years ago. I don't know if it was the fact that it was raining, or the fact that I was sweating a lot, but the phone didn't survive. The screen colours went funny, and the picture moved up about an inch. So there was a blank stripe at the bottom, and the top of the screen cut off the top of the display.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    I have fat arms and hate the arm bands, I got a pouch that holds my phone, id and a key, and a pocket knife "just in case" ;)
    I did see a little wrist band that fit just my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) at Marshalls/TJMaxx... But didnt have much room in it... also kind of awkward.
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Most running shops sell both arm bands and waist bands. I have both and found I prefer the waist band but that is just me (I tend to not listen to music while I run so this is not an issue for me). I also have a Nathan's water belt for my longer runs that has a pocket that fits my phone and keys.

I also know you can find them at sporting good stores and places like TJ Maxx or Marshall's.

I did invest in a pair of Bluetooth headphones. I don't run with music but they are wonderful for the gym and ensure I'm not connected to anything.
  • There's also been reports of girls who keep their cell phones in their bras getting breast cancer. Google it.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    I can't put my phone in my bra....ummm...sweat.

I have a modern looking "fanny pack" or what do they call them now? Fitness belts? I don't know. It's an expandable pouch that I carry my inhaler, phone, and a few other odds and ends. I wear it high under my boobage. If I put it on my hips, it rides up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I HATE HAVING A CELLPHONE ON ME WHILE RUNNING

me to- mine's so effing big- it's annoying.

But I do like my little new MyMapRun ap thing (I finally caved and downloaded it)

so I just stuff it in my bra.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    There's also been reports of girls who keep their cell phones in their bras getting breast cancer. Google it.

And there is absolutely no evidence to support a link between the two.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/no-carrying-your-cell-phone-in-your-bra-will-not-cause-breast-cancer-no-matter-what-dr-oz-says/