"Here comes Chubby"

Options
This was recently said about me, by one of the older folks at my work (not a coworker). The exact quote was "here comes Chubby, always trying to show it off". While I am even more motivated to lose weight (I am a work in progress) it brought up a question... What do people expect overweight people to wear while they are losing weight? I can not afford new clothes every 10+lbs I lose, what is one suppose to do? I work as a therapist in a rehab clinic so I have to make sure I wear clothes long enough to cover everything (blue tee and khaki pants) so I am not quite sure where the comment came from. Also, does one bring that up that you heard it and it is not 'OK' to say or just leave it?

Replies

• etscher
    etscher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you viewed the comment as being harassment, I'd report it to HR, especially if this individual has a history of inappropriate comments that could affect your ability to work and your comfort in the workplace. I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. Some people are nasty and heartless.

I would also confront that person in private and let them know that the comment was completely inappropriate and that you won't tolerate it.

And if I were you, I'd continue to strut your stuff around work because you should be proud of your progress!!
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If I heard that from a coworker, I'd throat punch someone.

In all seriousness, if you've lost some weight maybe they're just jealous. Screw them. You should be proud of all your hard work. They'll be eating their words when you hit goal.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    All that comment means is that the person who said it has serious issues, probably about their own body. Wear whatever fits and is comfortable, and when you're out of work wear whatever you damn well please. You look great, and you're doing awesome things for your body- you can clothe it any way you want.

*edited for spelling
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    "In all seriousness, if you've lost some weight maybe they're just jealous. Screw them. You should be proud of all your hard work. They'll be eating their words when you hit goal."

This ignore it let it go its not even worth your time be motivated hit your goal weight and when your slim with a new wardrobe watch them try to say something them ^_^
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Some people are just rude. If reporting it makes you feel better.... do so. But I would just ignore it. Let it roll off. You are so much more than a "clothing size". Do your best, be your best, feel good about who you are. Stay above it..... name callersxare just rude and insecure people......
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You need to walk your getting-smaller-every-day-*kitten* to HR and file a report. It is not OK and it is double-triple-not-OK for this to be happening in the workplace. What if a client heard it, or worse, what if this person is also talking this way about clients?

I don't know what other people do, but I wear the larger size until the next size down fits appropriately. Right now that means lots of baggy clothing, but to me that looks better than too tight clothing that you are busting out of and makes you look bigger than you are. Shirts I think you can wear for quite awhile depending on how they are cut, and for pants I use a belt until it starts looking comical, then get a smaller size. I also buy a few cheap transitional pieces to get me through because sometimes you just need to have something that fits properly. I would try to get away with wearing the clothes you already have as much as you can, but know that you probably will have to buy a few things.
  • keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Can you wear scrubs at work as a rehab therapist? They tend to be baggie and have elastic waists so they could last work for awhile.
  • hyman1768
    hyman1768 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get motivated to shove the weight loss down their throat!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If I heard someone saying that at work of ANYONE I'd be knocking on HRs door - It's well out of order and bullying and should NOT be tolerated.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The lack of humanity and insensitivity of some people in this world still baffles me. Who walks up to someone and spews such insults? Obviously, this "person" is insecure about themselves, therefor criticizes others whom make them jealous. Keep doing what you're doing and ignore the crappy people of this world.
  • GGS54
    GGS54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What a nasty, hateful thing for someone to say! I'm not sure what I would do in that situation -- I guess it would depend on whether it is someone I had to work with extensively. If so, I would speak to them privately, tell them how hurtful it was, and ask for an apology.

As for what to do while you are losing weight, since February of 2013, I have lost (and kept off) 22 pounds, and 3 sizes. At first I just used safety pins to keep skirts and pants from falling off. Then when the clothes I have invested a lot of money in or really needed for work starting getting REALLY baggy, I found an inexpensive alterations place and had them taken in, figuring that is a LOT cheaper than buying new clothes. I took other stuff to a second-hand store and made a few bucks to help defray the cost of having to buy smaller clothes -- not that I mind doing that, of course!

The best of luck in your journey to a smaller size, and don't let small-minded people dissuade you.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    ...What do people expect overweight people to wear while they are losing weight?

Who gives a damn what people "expect?" Do what you think is the right thing.

And as for the idiot making comments about your weight... "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Bullies come in any age group. And it often shows up in elder populations because these people feel they have a loss of control. So pushing people around gives them some sense of control. And it's also common in elder populations with dementia, as they sort of revert back to childhood.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    If you viewed the comment as being harassment, I'd report it to HR, especially if this individual has a history of inappropriate comments that could affect your ability to work and your comfort in the workplace. I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. Some people are nasty and heartless.

I would also confront that person in private and let them know that the comment was completely inappropriate and that you won't tolerate it.

And if I were you, I'd continue to strut your stuff around work because you should be proud of your progress!!

This. Does this person do it a lot?
    Personally I'd take them aside first. If they're completely dismissive then take it to HR. This kind of behaviour should not be tolerated in the work place.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    one of the older folks at my work (not a coworker).

By older, do you mean, older like me... ( 53 ? ) or older, like 70+ ? And by 'not a coworker' do you mean a patient / client?

Because, if it's some old guy patient, I'd let the comment slide. Old people generally get a pass for saying stupid *kitten*, just because they are old.... and if he's a patient, and not a coworker, then again, let him make his dumbass comments, and just secretly pity him.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    one of the older folks at my work (not a coworker).

By older, do you mean, older like me... ( 53 ? ) or older, like 70+ ? And by 'not a coworker' do you mean a patient / client?

Because, if it's some old guy patient, I'd let the comment slide. Old people generally get a pass for saying stupid *kitten*, just because they are old.... and if he's a patient, and not a coworker, then again, let him make his dumbass comments, and just secretly pity him.

I would have to agree here, this wasn't a coworker so HR can't really do anything in this instance anyway. I have corrected my own father for inappropriate comments (he's 87), it's a different generation, "bullying" wasn't really something they are aware of.
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I, like you, can't afford to buy clothes every few pounds. Honestly, I just pin or sew stuff to not fall off my body. At least for now.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Let it roll off. You continue doing what you gotta do, and let the old farts say what they want.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am glad I was called FAT by someone, it made me realise the problem and deal with it....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This was recently said about me, by one of the older folks at my work (not a coworker). The exact quote was "here comes Chubby, always trying to show it off". While I am even more motivated to lose weight (I am a work in progress) it brought up a question... What do people expect overweight people to wear while they are losing weight? I can not afford new clothes every 10+lbs I lose, what is one suppose to do? I work as a therapist in a rehab clinic so I have to make sure I wear clothes long enough to cover everything (blue tee and khaki pants) so I am not quite sure where the comment came from. Also, does one bring that up that you heard it and it is not 'OK' to say or just leave it?
    This person wasn't a coworker, but a client? Patient?

I'd report it to your supervisor.

Me, with my personality, I would've said something right away, such as, "Excuse me? Did that comment make you feel better about yourself?"

Because, that's why a person would say anything like that, to make themselves better.
  • Mickeyinfinite
    Mickeyinfinite Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't report it but I would take that person aside privately and tell them,

"I felt hurt when you commented on my looks. I'm sure you didn't mean to hurt me, but I thought you would want to know how it came across. I know you have no intention of hurting me and I respect you enough to let you know about this. Thanks for listening, this way we can both not let this effect us." and smile.

The trick to the above working is to really mean what you say. Only in choosing to "take the high road" and respectfully treat this person will you shed the anger/pain they caused you and the best part you will be teaching them a very IMPORTANT lesson in respect and humility while teaching yourself self-respect by showing them you won't tolerate being hurt and that you're above "low blows" by showing how respectful you are of them by handling it in a pro-active kind way.

Good luck :)