Water weight why drink

Options
2»

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917.gif

I remember in one episode of this series, one of the alien races described us as 'ugly bags of mostly water'.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Only 4-6?? I'd be miserable!!! (Says the woman on her 12th 20 ouncer)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Also, a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but there's no real evidence that we need 8 glasses of water a day. Drink when you're thirsty, or when you're sweating a lot, or if you live at a high altitude.

The 8/8oz glasses is a general recommendation for the average individual that eats a well-balanced diet. Reputable resources state that this is a base-guideline, and the individual should adjust based on urine color. There is plenty of evidence that adequate water is necessary for proper digestion and body functions.

I currently drink 20+ 8oz glasses a day and still not peeing clear. It's been a shock to the max, but I feel remarkably better. The habit has made digestion easier, got me moving more, eased muscle pain, and nearly eliminated my dependence on caffeine. Fantastic if you ask me.

No. This is not correct. The guy that made this up actually just made it up. He admitted it later, but then it was too late, it was published. But, he actually had no idea. They were studying how much water a person needed, and they weren't finished with their study and were pressured into an answer by the government who was financing the study. He just blurted out 8, and that's was it. But, 8 is not the right answer. Most people that know this agree that it's not 8. It's around 4 to 6. More if you're active, but you get a lot of water from food. So, it depends on diet and activity.

But, 8 is not a correct answer. It might be a guideline, and it doesn't hurt. But, it's not the answer.

Again, I said general guideline, but that reputable sources state to adjust based on urine color. I'm not spouting some oh I heard it somewhere thing. It may be true that some dude made it up in a crunch, but it's remained as such due to the fact that the guideline is quite widely accepted by leading medical institutions, such as the Mayo Clinic.

Saying something is a general base guideline is wholly different than saying it's the finite answer to the question. No one can specify the amount for every single individual. Many studies and resources suggest the amount of water for optimal body processes is quite a bit higher than 48oz. The minimum may be 4-6, but like I said, if the 8/8 rule was a bad idea or not generally acceptable, they would have pulled it ages ago. It's not like they haven't changed other government sponsored dietary guidelines. I'm not sure what you are saying "No" to because you basically said that what *I* said was acceptable.

Anyway, it really does come down to urine color in the end. My doctor suggested I get at minimum 100oz for my body size, and I've found that 180oz is a pretty good number for me. Everyone has to figure it out for themselves.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info - i was doing well , then this week i plateud and wondered if it were the dinner out last week where i ate excess sodium, and also my weight seemed to be going up a pound every day this week till saturday. its frustrating!!!!! so i look to you guys to help :)
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917.gif

Yeah.
  • salbunnylettuceleafyexley
    Options
    u need to drink water to keep u hydrated and help u digest food, u technically do put weight on when u drink water (about 2 pounds per litre) but its only temporary, once u wee/sweat it out, its gone, u need water, if u don't drink u could get ill and constipated, water has no cals, so u can drink as much as u like, water also beleive it or not helps u get rid of water retention, at xmas i put on about 11 pounds or so, 5-6 pound of that was water retention which after i'd finished eatin junk and drinkin booze in jan i lost on under a wk drinkin lots of green tea
  • abcdefghijkayla
    abcdefghijkayla Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Could it take ONE WEEK for the water weight to be lost that you eat a week ago? (excessive sodium a week ago?

Water doesn't flush sodium as much as people like to believe. You need to increase potassium intake to bind to the sodium to move it out of your system efficiently. Otherwise, it's completely dependent on how you expend electrolytes and continue eating after a sodium binge.

This thread is a joke, but this was very helpful to me. I'm almost constantly going over on my sodium intake. Thanks!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Anyway, it really does come down to urine color in the end.
    Yes, color matters.
    http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/10/what-the-color-of-your-urine-says-about-you-infographic/

OMG! My pee is purple!!!