Looking for help....

I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I'm weak and want to get strong. I'm scared of lifting weights though because my friends tell me I'll get bulky. I don't think that's true but I don't know. Can someone help give me some guidance?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    You won't get bulky - it takes a lot of hard work to gain enough muscle mass to be "bulky"
  • Its not true at all. As women we think we will get bulky.Muscle is more dense than fat – because muscle is more dense it takes up less space or volume per pound than fat does. I am taking a fit and wellness course. I just learned this. You would have to be doing foreal body building stuff.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    You won't get bulky - it takes a lot of hard work to gain enough muscle mass to be "bulky"

This. Forget about the bulky BS and just do it! If it's something you want to do, then do it! Don't let people's (uninformed) opinions stop you. Go for it.
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    only way women get "bulky" is usually if they are on steroids... we have leaner muscle mass then guys do.. no worries, lift some weights
  • Ok. So how should I start? I can run all day, but I haven't spent a lot of time in the gym and I'm intimidated to go lift where all the guys are.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Ok. So how should I start? I can run all day, but I haven't spent a lot of time in the gym and I'm intimidated to go lift where all the guys are.

Believe me, the guys that are in the gym to lift are not going to be watching you. They'd definitely be willing to spot you on an exercise if you asked, but otherwise, they have their own thing going on.

I recommend all beginners start with a simple 5 x 5 program. Five compound exercises for five repetitions per set. Start with 2 sets and work up to 5 sets over time. Rest 90 seconds between each set. Keep the weights low until you get comfortable with the form (nothing wrong with air squats if that's all you can do with good form). I'd do squats, deadlift, bench press, barbell rows (or assisted pull ups), and overhead barbell press (aka standing military press).

The workout would look like this:
    - Warm up the body
    - Squat for five repetitions, rest 90 seconds
    - Squat for five repetitions, rest 90 seconds
    - Deadlift for five repetitions, rest 90 seconds
    - Deadlift for five repetitions, rest 90 seconds
    - Benchpress for five repetitions, rest 90 seconds
    - Benchpress for five repetitions, rest for 90 seconds
    - Barbell rows for five repetitions, rest 90 seconds
    - Barbell rows for five repetitions, rest 90 seconds
    - Military press for five repetitions, rest 90 seconds
    - Military press for five repetitions
    - Cool down and stretch
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Ok. So how should I start? I can run all day, but I haven't spent a lot of time in the gym and I'm intimidated to go lift where all the guys are.

Pick a good beginners programme like, starting strength, Stronglifts or strong curves. And like others have said, you won't get bulky without excessive calories or steroids.