6 days of exercise -- no period for 3 months

Options
Hi all,

I am 20 years old, 5'8 and trying to lose some weight (5-10 pounds). I exercise 5-6 days a week with cardio and strength training..
January was the last time I got my period, and it is now April. I am becoming very worried. Do you think the amount of exercise is affecting my period? If so, what should I do? I eat around 1700-1800 calories a day, depending on my exercise amount.

Thanks

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I would speak to my OBGYN. A missed period for 3 months is no joke. Best seek out the professional help.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    1) could you be pregnant?
    2) women require a baseline body fat % in order to menstruate and if it drops below this you won't get your period.
    3) If you just started a rigorous exercise regimen it could also cause your periods to stop.

Regardless, go see an OB/Gyn and get checked out.
  • staceycakes71
    staceycakes71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Stop working out for 3 or 4 days and you will most likely get it back
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    1) could you be pregnant?
    2) women require a baseline body fat % in order to menstruate and if it drops below this you won't get your period.
    3) If you just started a rigorous exercise regimen it could also cause your periods to stop.

Regardless, go see an OB/Gyn and get checked out.

This. Because 2 & 3 are true, there is a possilbility of #1 being true and your not knowing it. After I recovered from an ED in college, it took over a year for my period to come back regularly. In the meantime, I got married and was several months pregnant with my oldest (and thank God healthy) child before I knew it. After that, my periods came back regularly, but you have to know I scared myself silly thinking of all that I could have done to her by accident before she was born...
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It is very possible. Also going too low carb can shut your cycles down.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? Very low weight can cause this. Also, it can happen because of training, but it has to be hours of intense training per day. Or it could be irrelevant and a sign of a hormonal issue. Or you could be pregnant. Call your dr.