Join a 2nd gym or buy a machine?

Options
I would like to lose about 20 more lbs. I had gotten down to my goal of 145 on Weight Watchers (started at 201) but sadly gained 25 back. This time around I'm doing MFP and working out on my lunch break at the gym at work. I'm thinking about stepping it up to twice a day workouts, either joining LA Fitness or buying an elliptical. I pay $15 for the gym at work and LA Fitness would be an additional $40/month. I've seen ellipticals at Wal-Mart for around $300.

I am kind of torn because I think I would like to get back in to spin and other group classes at LA Fitness, but I would love the convenience of having something in my house.

I have a 4 yr old so I picked LA Fitness bc they have a kids club.

Right now my workouts are 3x week group classes at work- Zumba and BOSU/circuit training. The other 1-2 days I do the elliptical, stairmaster, or walk/jog outside. Usually 45 mins each time.

Would love any input to help me make up my mind :)

Replies

• truebrew
    truebrew Posts: 33
    Options
    I belong to both 24 hour fitness and LA Fitness. The 24 hour fitness is closer so I usually go there but I prefer LA Fitness, especially now that I have a tablet to watch movies and don't need the screens. I like the layout at LA Fitness, the 2 floors , the cardio separated from the weights on a different floor, the showers are always maintained better.....

I guess you have to decide about the economics of your choice but I find the gym to be more motivational , seeing other people working hard, sweating, pumping, etc. Not sure you can get that motivation at home.

Anyways, good luck, I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The 300 dollar elliptical will feel cheap and flimsy.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Which will motivate you to workout more? I'm better with at home workouts since I don't have to get ready to go or drive there. Some people find being surrounded by other people and the structured classes to be a motivator.

It boils down to whether or not you're more of a self motivator. Both require personal motivation but the at home is ALL you. Good luck finding your best option.
  • eishi24
    eishi24 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have space at home, try home workouts. Hot5 workouts are great 5 min workouts for just about anyone. It can be linked to your myfitnesspal account too so the exercise and calories burned are logged automatically.
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The 300 dollar elliptical will feel cheap and flimsy.

Thx I hadn't even tried it yet in the store but I bet you're right
  • clairelizzy1972
    clairelizzy1972 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would join another gym. I would get so bored if all I used was an elliptical. And ditto on the $300 one being flimsy.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    join the gym because there's SO much more to fitness than spinning your wheels on an elliptical. LA Fitness will have a free weight section and everythang