My legs arent progressing, What am i doin wrong

Options
Hi,

I use machines at the gym for legs (at least 6 of the machines) and follow it with at least 20 minutes of HIIT (just started adding an incline with it), or hills on the bike. I do legs at least twice a week and then i try to do a lifting class twice a week which works your whole body (including legs). The class includes squats with and without weights, lunges, and so forth,

I obviously use MFP to track my diet so i know its not terrible.. I do feel my legs getting stronger, but i checked my progress pictures and my legs are exactly the same size as a month ago (whereas my arms are progressing). Why am i not losing weight in my legs at all? Help? Is there anything else I can do?

Mostly thighs/hamstrings

Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, weight comes off where it wants. Nothing you can do about that but hang in there. Everyone loses weight differently. Some lose right away in their legs while others lose in their arms, stomach, etc.

Just be patient and it will come off.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    That is the way weight loss goes. It does not come off your body evenly, and you cannot spot reduce. Assuming you are losing weight, it will eventually start to come off your legs. Just keep at it.
  • harmonyyyxo
    harmonyyyxo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you're bulking up your legs by doing squats, weights etc. So you may have actually lost fat, but gained muscle in them.
    Unfortunately I've had that same problem in the past. If you want your legs to look thinner I'd say ditch the intense leg workouts and opt for pilates workouts instead. Been so effective for me and my legs definitely look a lot thinner and toned than before :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If your strength is improving, and you are losing weight somewhere, than you are making progress. Patience.
  • DrFlave
    DrFlave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you're bulking up your legs by doing squats, weights etc.

No, not if she's at a caloric deficit.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Several points, as above;
    What does the 'lifting class' do? Is it body pump or similar?
    Weight lifting that produces increases in muscle size isn't really suited to a class.
    I go more for strength, but as an idea today's session I did a total of 35 full-weight movements (and 24 warm up ones). Wouldn't make for a very exciting class.

Further, as you're trying to lose weight, as noted, you're unlikely to gain muscle particularly. Perception may improve as you lose fat, but you also can't choose where to lose fat from.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    how can you tell from photos if your legs are the exact same size? use a tape measure and mark a spot 4 inches or 6 inches above the knee. 8 inches if you're tall. measure. record. repeat monthly.
  • rebuhhh
    rebuhhh Posts: 8
    Options
    Im a photoshop whiz. I put them on top of each other and make the newer one transparent so you can see through a little..:wink:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Im a photoshop whiz. I put them on top of each other and make the newer one transparent so you can see through a little..:wink:

You should probably spend the 3 bucks to invest in a tape measure.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

maybe she could photoshop one into the pics?
  • rebuhhh
    Options

:laugh: i could do that but it wouldnt be effective lol. I have a friggin tape measure, i just forgot to take my measurements when i started so i cant compare them to recent ones, thats why i used the pics
  • Achrya
    Options

Genius.
  • Achrya
    Options

:laugh: i could do that but it wouldnt be effective lol. I have a friggin tape measure, i just forgot to take my measurements when i started so i cant compare them to recent ones, thats why i used the pics

Measure. Keep doing what you do. Remeasure in a month. Let us know how it goes
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Measure. Keep doing what you do. Remeasure in a month. Let us know how it goes

This.

Also, everyone will have more problematic areas when it comes to fat loss. Just how it is.... don't become discouraged. Work hard, be consistent, measure progress and most importantly.... be patient.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use machines at the gym for legs (at least 6 of the machines) and follow it with at least 20 minutes of HIIT (just started adding an incline with it), or hills on the bike. I do legs at least twice a week and then i try to do a lifting class twice a week which works your whole body (including legs). The class includes squats with and without weights, lunges, and so forth,

I obviously use MFP to track my diet so i know its not terrible.. I do feel my legs getting stronger, but i checked my progress pictures and my legs are exactly the same size as a month ago (whereas my arms are progressing). Why am i not losing weight in my legs at all? Help? Is there anything else I can do?

Mostly thighs/hamstrings

Thanks ahead of time!

Hello there fellow Southern CTer. Muscle cant grow if you aren't feeding it. When you do feed it, it won't grow quickly! Keep doing heavy weights and you'll see progress soon.
  • autovatic
    autovatic Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to say, I feel ya, sister. My thighs are the most stubborn spot, even as I'm seeing significant change in my arms, back and stomach - soooo frustrating. Stick with it, we'll get there!
  • rebuhhh
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input and support (: it's much appreciated!