A Dying Art

Options

Replies

• sanzza
    sanzza Posts: 60
    Options
    Yes I'm creative I can do pretty much anything with my hands and a few thing with my feet too :wink:
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm a handgirl I have built all types of stuff and hung my own shelves and put in new ceiling lights. Both my parents were really into home renovation things and my dad builds cars so that taught me a lot.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Oooooooh, like that.

I can fix most things around the house. I maintain and repair my own car. I'm pretty handy.

THAT's the other thing I want to know how to do - understand cars and minor upkeep and repair.

I looked into it actually and they don't have those here. Which I think is crap.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    I was just about to comment on the lack of men in this thread and how ironic THAT was, when three of them showed up.
    However I do love it that sisters are doing it for themselves.
    :happy:
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    Yes. I grew up doing mechanical, electrical, and carpentry work. I've also begun teaching myself wood working. I garden when I have time and try to teach myself obscure arts like origami, juggling, and soon-to-be lockpicking.

You and
    I don't know about building a chair from scratch, but I'm ok. I mean, I could build a chair that would be functional, but ugly as sin. I learned the hard way. I purchased a big, two story house that was built in the 1850s a long time ago. I wound up going through and steadily redoing all the wiring, restoring the floors, the spiral staircase etc over the course of three years. I learned a lot. I also bought a lot of tools. Most of which I did not need.

You- will be very useful in the post apocalyptic world.
  • sanzza
    Options
    Men are useless , they never finish ANYTHING off that they start :devil:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I have repaired my own plumbing, built my own raised garden beds, painted and redecorated my house a few times, and built my own stone paver patio.

Also, I am an artist, and create lots of hand-made items like books, boxes, drawings and paintings. I build my own canvas stretcher bars from 2 x 4s. I'm also in the process of decking out a pair of Steampunk costumes for me and my boyfriend so we can attend the Clockwork Ball next week.

It makes me sad when I hear my boss talk about his wife's honey-do list. When I want something done, I just do it. I don't expect my boyfriend to do everything for me. Just because I have ovaries doesn't make me incompetent with power tools, and it's disheartening that more women don't step up and do things for themselves.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options

I think it'd figuring out the proper motivation for them.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    I have repaired my own plumbing, built my own raised garden beds, painted and redecorated my house a few times, and built my own stone paver patio.

Also, I am an artist, and create lots of hand-made items like books, boxes, drawings and paintings. I build my own canvas stretcher bars from 2 x 4s. I'm also in the process of decking out a pair of Steampunk costumes for me and my boyfriend so we can attend the Clockwork Ball next week.

It makes me sad when I hear my boss talk about his wife's honey-do list. When I want something done, I just do it. I don't expect my boyfriend to do everything for me. Just because I have ovaries doesn't make me incompetent with power tools, and it's disheartening that more women don't step up and do things for themselves.

Wow.
    That is awesome.:smile:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Yes. I grew up doing mechanical, electrical, and carpentry work. I've also begun teaching myself wood working. I garden when I have time and try to teach myself obscure arts like origami, juggling, and soon-to-be lockpicking.

You and
    I don't know about building a chair from scratch, but I'm ok. I mean, I could build a chair that would be functional, but ugly as sin. I learned the hard way. I purchased a big, two story house that was built in the 1850s a long time ago. I wound up going through and steadily redoing all the wiring, restoring the floors, the spiral staircase etc over the course of three years. I learned a lot. I also bought a lot of tools. Most of which I did not need.

Very. I know how to, in theory, start a fire by 5 different methods too. And I want to learn snaring methods at some point.

Oh! And blacksmithing. I think that would be an excellent skill to have.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Well, if we're talking post-apocalyptic skills, that's another matter. I grew up in a small town. I was raised on venison, rabbit, pheasant, squirrel, and whatever hapless critter roamed the woods. I can hunt and fish, but I don't actively do either. Neither is something I enjoy. And like Rabbit, I've rebuilt cars from the ground up. Newer cars, though? Nah. Who needs that headache?
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options

Choose better men.

Also, women are worse about that than men.
  • wheird
    Options
    Well, if we're talking post-apocalyptic skills, that's another matter. I grew up in a small town. I was raised on venison, rabbit, pheasant, squirrel, and whatever hapless critter roamed the woods. I can hunt and fish, but I don't actively do either. Neither is something I enjoy. And like Rabbit, I've rebuilt cars from the ground up. Newer cars, though? Nah. Who needs that headache?

Agreed. I -have- hunted in the past and know how, but I haven't actively done it. So I'd be better teamed up with people with niche survival skills.
  • wheird
    Options

Choose better men.

Yup. Everytime I hear a woman complain about men, I always think to myself that they need to choose better men.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I bought an older house five years ago and have slowly been working my way around making changes. Even learned about tiling, plumbing (easy stuff to change sink position and put in a dishwasher) and some wiring (sockets and ceiling fan) when I did my kitchen last year. The roof needs to be done this summer, that is where I am drawing the line. It's not the work so much as the landing when I fall off the roof that I worry about. Also planning on ripping up my deck, recycling to wood into planter boxes, and setting a stone patio instead. It's been a lot of fun. Next year, the bathroom! The women I work with think I'm nuts, but swinging a sledge hammer really calms a person down :bigsmile: I think I should have gone into demolition :laugh:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Choose better men.

I don't know what you're talki
  • sanzza
    Options

Choose better men.

Yup. Everytime I hear a woman complain about men, I always think to myself that they need to choose better men.

You do have a point, I was talking about just the one and he's just been relived of his duties. I do apologise I shouldn't tar you all with the same brush.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I often forget that a lot of (male) people don't like to "get their hands dirty" as such.

When I went to pick up the (weight lifting) rack I now use while working away he mentioned it was being replaced by a power cage and I explained how I'd built my own out of some spare wood I had lying around. "Great if you've got the skills to do it"... I certainly wouldn't consider screwing a few bits of wood together and adding in a little bracing as needed particularly 'skilful', but kept my mouth shut and it took it as the compliment it was meant to be :).
  • JamesRustler
    JamesRustler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Since YouTube became popular, I've seen more men to plumbing projects and fix other house maintenance issues. YouTube has tutorials on how to fix just about everything.

It seems that most men I know are much more "hands on" now then they ever have been.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options

You and

Very. I know how to, in theory, start a fire by 5 different methods too. And I want to learn snaring methods at some point.

Oh! And blacksmithing. I think that would be an excellent skill to have.

YES! Who does blacksmithing anymore??