HELP 7lbs from OBESITY AGAIN. I tried everything

Options
Hi. I'm Carli. I'm 18 and I've lost over 130lbs total and am down about 75-80lbs from my MFP starting weight. I still live at home, I am a student...studying to be a registered dietitian. I have been plateaued or gaining for over a year. I've been stuck at 183-191lbs at 5'9 since october of 2014. I don't know exactly what is going on with my body. I have PCOS and have been to the two "best endocrinologists" in the state I live in. Each have told me that I am lying about the diet and lying about the exercise and that I am 7lbs from obesity. I've been nagged and fussed at by both of them and I have sent both of them a not so nice email that includes my diet and fitness regime for the last 6 months. I know most people DO lie. but when you've got someone in your office that is broken down after you've just told them how "fat" they are, is working their *kitten* off and not seeing a change in weight.... I'm pretty sure that's a sign they're really trying. They've both said my blood-work is PERFECT. nothing is too high or too low and they said it's better than the majority of Americans' blood-work.
I am trying to focus more on the way I look and feel than what the scale says but It's not moving and I'm having to buy bigger pants (I started a women's size 24...got down to an 8....now I'm back in a 12.). I have tried so hard. I've gone from 270 to 140 and now I'm back at about 190 for reasons unknown. I'm not eating anymore that i was at 140 and I'm exercising about the same amount, if not more (Jillian workout videos...30-60 min a day...don't have access or $$ to go to a gym)

There are no other "Endos" in the state and both have said there is nothing they can do to help me and have accused me of "watching tv and snacking without logging it" ....IF I EAT ONE M+M....IT'S LOGGED. of "not working out hard enough." I DO MY BEST every DAY. I don't know what else to do. please help. I would think that my progress so far would show that I mean business but they will not give any advice or help. I DONT drink soda. havent had one in 5yrs

Does anyone have any suggestions? My diary is open, I am on a reduced sodium diet, 1400cal at the moment. I was on 1600 but that didnt work so I tried 1800 and now im back at 1400 with nothing visual to show for any of my work.

29d50f8e-2b54-47b7-9f78-e73411886153_zps2796ee13.jpg

Replies

• KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Try removing as much stress from your life as you can, perhaps start off by dumping these two doctors. It sounds like they're causing a ton of stress! And sometimes when you have stress, no matter what you do you are not going to lose weight! Second, try a different approach to your diet, maybe try intermittent fasting for a week or two and perhaps that'll help jump start your loss again.

Also you look fantastic!
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Maybe you should see a general practitioner for an overall health exam, rather than an endocrinologist. It might be something other than the endocrine system.

I wonder whether you should maybe try running? I can't run myself -- arthritic hips and knees -- but I've heard so many others tell how much running helps their weight loss program. I would try it myself if I could, as it seems to be enjoyable and has such good benefits.

Might be stress-reducing, too, and you sound very stressed. I don't know that stress would affect weight gain when you are using such control, but it might. And it certainly ruins your joy.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    do you take metformin? i found that it makes my metabolism faster. Might be that yours slowed down?
    or do you take birth control pills? these can slow you down as well. I used to take diane35 but its been banned from the stores. i have tried yasminelle and something else that i forgot the name and i got acne from them. its possible that those give you side effects like water retention.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your "pain". I've been having problems with regaining weight also but I do have a reason. I just don't know what to tell you. Are you learning anything in your classes for dietician that might apply? My issues stem mostly from thyroid problems. Try eating more protein and fewer carbs of any kind. That is not to say cut them out altogether. I know I have a worse problem when I'm eating more breads even though the calories are the same. Each person's body is different. Analyze your menu to see if one particular area has changed. Good luck.
  • drattedfatbody52
    Options
    Dear Carli,

I am so sorry for your struggle and frustration. I am sorry that the doctors you have seen are being such jerks to you. I wish that I was well versed in PCOS but only know about it second hand. In spite of the doctors saying that your blood work is perfect, there isn't any information that they are or have been testing your hormone levels which I would initially suppose is the cause of your long term "stall." I would also ask if PCOS causes your body to react to carbs or sugars or fats similarly to a diabetic and wonder if some of those foods, while still within your calorie count are doing you a disservice? I am guessing at this only because I had an office mate at one time who has PCOS and she spoke of a variety of things related to her diagnosis. Again, I am just wondering.

Another thing I will ask is not about your record keeping for food and exercise, but do you journal about your life, emotions and other things that could be related to your hormone levels?

Lastly, my husband began cutting back on his meals and exercising. It was over a year before he lost any weight but then it seemed as though he lost about 30-40 lbs in a few months because he persisted.

You know that you are doing the right things. Certainly it is frustrating and probably a little frightening to have your seeming efforts "turn around" on you but it is likely that you can and will find some answers. Some better ones than my paltry suggestions, but you are not alone. Have you checked for a PCOS website or forum to talk to other folks who are fighting your same battle?

Good luck and hang in there.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    do you take metformin? i found that it makes my metabolism faster. Might be that yours slowed down?
    or do you take birth control pills? these can slow you down as well. I used to take diane35 but its been banned from the stores. i have tried yasminelle and something else that i forgot the name and i got acne from them. its possible that those give you side effects like water retention.

My endo put me on sprinolactone (supposed to be LIKE metformin?) and a BC pill. but because the BC pill was making my period last upwards of 30 days EVERY TIME with less than two weeks between periods, I decided to stop. after stopping the BC pills... I noticed sprinolactone was giving me abdominal pains.

I then stopped the use of it. I Have PCOS and several cysts on my ovaries, and stopping the use of sprinolactone makes my period painful as hadies..even tho it's much shorter (like before going to any dr)and I've had a lot of cyst ruptures since. I am contemplating taking it again.

I am currently not taking any medications except for a daily multivitamin.
  • cm1458
    Options
    Dear Carli,

I am so sorry for your struggle and frustration. I am sorry that the doctors you have seen are being such jerks to you. I wish that I was well versed in PCOS but only know about it second hand. In spite of the doctors saying that your blood work is perfect, there isn't any information that they are or have been testing your hormone levels which I would initially suppose is the cause of your long term "stall." I would also ask if PCOS causes your body to react to carbs or sugars or fats similarly to a diabetic and wonder if some of those foods, while still within your calorie count are doing you a disservice? I am guessing at this only because I had an office mate at one time who has PCOS and she spoke of a variety of things related to her diagnosis. Again, I am just wondering.

Another thing I will ask is not about your record keeping for food and exercise, but do you journal about your life, emotions and other things that could be related to your hormone levels?

Lastly, my husband began cutting back on his meals and exercising. It was over a year before he lost any weight but then it seemed as though he lost about 30-40 lbs in a few months because he persisted.

You know that you are doing the right things. Certainly it is frustrating and probably a little frightening to have your seeming efforts "turn around" on you but it is likely that you can and will find some answers. Some better ones than my paltry suggestions, but you are not alone. Have you checked for a PCOS website or forum to talk to other folks who are fighting your same battle?

Good luck and hang in there.

Thank you. The carb sensitive PCOS patients are called IR (insulin resistant) and are similar to but not the same as diabetics. I have been screened for this about 4 times in the past 2 years. You are right about the carbs affecting them but I have never personally had a problem with carbs. I never exceed 160 carbs a day and try to keep it between 100-150g/day. Most of my carbs come from fruit, vegetables, and (I know these are sort bad) protein bars. I feel tired and moody when I get less than 100g carbs a day.

I have 3 friends that have it but all of them have it under control with BC pills and metformin.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Have you had your Vitamin D levels tested? Might be a good idea if you haven't. You may already know about it with studying nutrition, but if you are deficient, it can affect your weight. I couldn't imagine that it would be a problem for me, outdoors a lot and vegetarian, but eat lots of yogurt, etc. I went to the Dr. complaining about my weight fluctuations despite continuing to watch my diet and exercise along with some other complaints that convinced me I needed an endo. She tested my D and a few other things and the D came back deficient. There's a lot of information and studies out there about it. Just Google it. May or may not solve the problem, but it can't hurt to check.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You said you log your food... but do you weigh everything?
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    take metformin. it will regulate your period.
    I have pcos, with IR since 2009. weight is coming on if i don't take metformin. i am supposed to take 3x 850mg but i can't tolerate that much, i just take 500mg 1x a day and it still works. I never took bc pill with metformin, i took one or the other. with pcos its not enough that you only take a multivitamin it won't help.

I used to have lots of cysts as well in my ovaries, with metformin it all went away. my ovaries were 5x the normal size before metformin, after that cysts are gone and size reduced to normal size. When you start taking it, start with low dosage like half a pill a day because it will give you diarrhea, which also means you quickly get rid of water weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason why your carb goal is so high and fat goal so low? I've read that PCOS patients tend to lose weight more easily with low to moderate carbohydrate intake. Maybe you could try that for a while?

Your calorie goal also looks very low. You're even under your - estimated - BMR, have you had it measured, or how did you end up on 1400 a day?
  • cm1458
    Options
    Is there a particular reason why your carb goal is so high and fat goal so low? I've read that PCOS patients tend to lose weight more easily with low to moderate carbohydrate intake. Maybe you could try that for a while?

Your calorie goal also looks very low. You're even under your - estimated - BMR, have you had it measured, or how did you end up on 1400 a day?

I started 1400 a day because I was trying to eat my bmr (about 1800 a day) and I gained 18lbs in a month even though it was mostly fruit and healthy foods. I have been eating conservatively (tiptoeing around "diet" because I dont like to do that) since 2011...when I started my diet.

My carb goal is higher because if I dont eat at least 100-120g a day I have no energy and feel awful. I am not Insulin resistant so I know it isnt that. Idk why i am so sensitive to lower carb but it just doesnt work for me.
  • cm1458
    Options
    You said you log your food... but do you weigh everything?

I weigh everything...except for when we are eating out..which is about 2 or 3x a month tops. but I always go with grilled chicken, vegetables and rice when we do and it says on the menu the weight of the chicken.

Sometimes, when out, I get sweet potato fries but theyre usually a no more than once a month treat.
  • debr1126
    debr1126 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Most of my carbs come from fruit, vegetables, and (I know these are sort bad) protein bars. I feel tired and moody when I get less than 100g carbs a day.

Yeah, I had a peek at your diary and you are very brave for making it public--I sure wouldn't make mine public! *brrr!*

The only thing I see on there that makes me go "hmmm" is the protein bars. You're eating at least one, sometimes two of them a day and, like you said yourself, they're a kind of iffy choice.

Could you maybe try foregoing those, or at least keeping it to one a day, and swap with lean lightly seasoned meat (not deli or processed meat) and veg? Or maybe a whey protein supplement with less carbs? You could get a lot of protein with the whey, fewer calories, and have more room in your budget for vegetables. I don't see many veggies at all on your last few days.
  • cm1458
    Options
    I also failed to mention that I use a Polar ft4 HRM every work out (it has a chest strap) and as far as i know it should be very accurate as to how many calories I am burning. It asks for age, height, weight, sex, and max HRT RT.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Doctors can be such jerks sometimes. I'd say try to find even a general practitioner who makes you feel comfortable. I had a cancer scare two years ago, and as scary as the experience was, it taught me how important it is to find doctors who hear you and try to involve you in your own treatment rather than trying to just throw one-size-fits-all treatments at you.

Have you considered meeting with a dietitian? Your diary sure seems like you're on the right track. I don't know enough about PCOS to offer specific advice, but maybe some small changes will really help. I know you're frustrated, but don't give up! It may take awhile to get things figured out, but some temporary setbacks now could help you get your PCOS under control for life.