Great snack ideas for 12 hour night shifts?

Options
I often work 6:30pm to 6:30am. Does anyone have any tasty and healthy snack ideas for long night shifts?

Replies

• MichaelRobinson1994
    MichaelRobinson1994 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any brands off the top of my head as I rarely buy them, but most protein bars in stores (the ones that are like £2-3 each) often have 200-400 calories in them and are usually very filling!
    Not too cost effective, but they should satisfy you for a few hours!
  • hobbesla4
    hobbesla4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a refrigerator, I would pack things like cherry tomatoes, fresh fruit, etc.
  • Gizzy1976
    Gizzy1976 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I used to eat crackers and soft cheese with chopped up salad and make sugar free jelly. I also used to make porridge lol
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    Sugar free jelly (jello)
    Berries
    Fruit
    Crackers and light cream cheese
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I need this - I'm starting night shift in July. I'm thinking quick, easy to eat things, like fruit, Greek yogurt, sandwich roll-ups, etc. And no soda, only water, for me. Good luck!
  • iamthesweenmachine
    iamthesweenmachine Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like to keep a box of granola bars in my locker at school. They're quick, healthy and never expire!!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I work swing shift and some of my staples for over night are. Celery with Humus or peanut Butter or PB2 if you really want to cut calories. Baby carrots. Greek Yogurt cups. Special K protein bars. Beef or Turkey Jerky. And of course being its nights. LOTZ OF COFFEEZ.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Not sure your calorie needs. But I sub one of my snacks out for a lighter meal...so I end up having 4 meals and one snack. I work a desk job and have access to a fridge and microwave so I have a large selection of what I have available to me to bring. Here are my usual snacks:

Chicken wrap with popcorn and fruit (came to about 372 calories tonight)
    Snack bar (tonight I have a Now Raspberry Peanut Butter Almond Bar that is 180 calories)
    Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup of granola and 50g of berries (usually comes out to about 280 calories)
    Cottage Cheese with carrots and celery for dipping
    Nachos (making your own and using unsalted tortilla chips is actually pretty darn good. You can add the precooked chicken for protein and still keep it pretty darn low calorie)
    Bell Pepper Nachos (cut a bell pepper up into 8 pieces. Mix 1 tsp of taco seasoning, with one tablespoon of water, and then mix in a 3 oz serving of pre-cooked chicken shredded or diced. Place a bit of the mix onto each of the bell pepper pieces, and top with a tsp of cheese then nuke for minute or so. Garnish with some fresh pica de gallo and plain greek yogurt...YUM!))
  • titchthetwin
    titchthetwin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tea! i drink so much tea. its the 4-5am that'll get you. porridge. wholemeal toast with peanut butter. yogurt. eat something at 4 or 5 and dont eat before you go to sleep. :) mcdonalds on the way home is my nightshift killer!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    for me on nights these days I'd need coffee , strong and lots of it :-p

As for healthy snacks .. Fruit