Frustration regarding weight loss!

Options
I am very frustrated with weight loss right now. Another week has passed and i had a 3 pound weight loss for this week. That is very small, considering what I eat! I see shows like the biggest looser and the lose a ridiculous amount of weight each week and I get a measely 3 pounds!!!

Replies

• melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That's what frustrates me about the Biggest Loser. The numbers are not safe or realistic for folks like you and me! A pound or two as week is healthy and SUSTAINABLE! We want this to be for life right? We need to take our time, learn to like new foods that don't pack on pounds, and develop the real lifestyle changes that will keep the weight off. None of us has a Jillian or a Bob to pull us out of bed and put us on the treadmill and we don't have personal chefs to stock our fridges with expensive fresh fruit and vegetables. We have to do this the real way. Real food, around all the real people who sabotage us with their LOVE (buying us the old chips, pop and chocolates that always make us feel better) and finding real ways to MOVE our bodies. We need the total package. Three pounds is an AWESOME number. One or two pounds a week is where we should be. I find I have enough water fluctuation that it's less frustrating actually to only weigh myself every couple of weeks. But I do have to guard myself carefully because if I don't weigh in regularly the pounds can creep on. OH! And I'm goign to start getting much more focused on that FAT number that comes with the calories. I'm afraid that makes a HUGE difference.
    Merry Christmas.
    Give yourself the gift of self love this Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Melody
    in Canada
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    the thing to remember with the biggest loser though is that they exercise ALL DAY. they only show one or two workouts, but 3 pounds in a week in normal standards is LITERALLY a ton! doctors reccommend you only lose one pound a week.
    I know it's frustrating, and in reality, they do that on the biggest loser to make people feel like they can't achieve that kind of weight loss in a week, so they must be doing something wrong---thus the promotional "buy our whey protein, join our online group, give us your money" comes in. It's not a bad thing, but i agree it's not fair to make people feel inferior with 3 lbs.
    if you think about it, you lost 3 guinea pigs. thats a lot of weight for one week. and honestly, it's a little weight here and there.
    It's taken me a year to lose 30, and i still have 30 more to go.

try not to focus on the numbers. :-) You're embarking on an incredible journey of self discovery and empowerment, and that takes a lot longer than the biggest loser will ever show. Keep up with eating smaller meals several times a day and don't sweat it-your body will lose the weight in it's own time and you will have been doing it safely. <hugs>
    take care and God bless!
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I average losing about a 1/2 pound a week. Three pounds a week is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! The constestants on TBL workout hours upon hours a day. You are doing GREAT!!!
  • lizzy_fatana
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I just see the big numbers others are losing and think it should melt off overnight but it wont. Thanks to everyone putting it in perspective!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I work as hard as anyone one else but I lost 2 pounds in the last 6 weeks. That is just how it is. So you can imagin that for me 3 pounds would be fantastic. Don't bother with anyone esle numbers....they are not your reality.

Good luck
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    please remember that is tv! you dont know whats going on behind closed doors!...3lbs in 1 week is great!! Im happy with whatever as long as im not gaining!....your doing great!
  • vbhoj74
    vbhoj74 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone here, 3 lbs/week is a super achievement. Keep that motivation rolling.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'd be ecstatic if I were you....it could be worse and you could be losing a lot less. 3lbs a week is a lot, maybe even too much for most people.
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged with three pounds-it's a lot-I would be thrilled! Plus, I read somewhere that if you lose 3+ pounds a week over time that can increase your risk for gallstones. Our bodies/livers can only tolerate processing so much fat/muscle burn.
  • lisateachawa
    lisateachawa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Three pounds is awesome! Biggest loser exercises all day and gives us unrealistic goals. I am gaining of late - (Christmas cookies) and would love to have your loss - or any for that matter!!!
    Keep up the good work and don't let the scale ruin your day - you are making a difference in your life and in your health. Keep it up!
    Teachawa