Binged at a funeral... Wrecked diet or no? Estimate help?

Options
Every time I binge/think I overeat, I come on here for support because you guys are so motivational and nice, so I need a little help... I went to a funeral today and the food was simply amazing. It had stuff I never tried before and that I always wanted to (cough huge, calorific French macarons) and I went nuts. I feel soooo bad and like the damage is irreversible. I ate;

3 cups of plain tea
5 carrot sticks
4 slices of cantaloupe
4 slices of pineapple
1 asparagus
3 strawberries
4 grapes
3 blackberries

... here's where it gets bad :sad:

1 chocolate chip cookie
1 big, pink macaron with chocolate creme filling :love: (don't really regret that, it was absolutely delicious and on my bucket list to try a real home made one)
1 sugar cookie with chocolate drizzle
1 mini maple spice cake
1/3 of a date square
2 marzipan chocolates

aaaaand the guilt set in right after.

Thing is, coming from a low calorie diet, I've been battling food guilt and winning, :smile: but I can't help but feel sad about indulging today.

Again, I only binge on days like funerals or social occasions.

Is my weight loss ruined now? Is it possible I gained a pound or two?

Replies

• Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    One bad meal will not make you gain weight, just like one good meal will not make you healthy. Sometimes, having a cheat day is just good clean fun. Go back to doing things the right way tomorrow and you won't be "ruined."

How low calorie are we talking here??
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Log it accurately & honestly. Then forgive yourself & move on.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    One bad meal will not make you gain weight, just like one good meal will not make you healthy. Sometimes, having a cheat day is just good clean fun. Go back to doing things the right way tomorrow and you won't be "ruined."

How low calorie are we talking here??
    My old diet was around 900-1200 calories but that was two months ago. I've now been eating 1300-1400 and feeling better about food, luckily nipping my problem in the bud.

But I'm nervous that I went PAST 1400. I already had about 400 calories under my belt today... then the funeral happened which I'm estimating was around 1,000, give or take... most likely give.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you still look like your picture, you're waaaay ahead of the game.

For myself, I look at it like this; It took me years to get to my highest weight, not one day, not one week. Just like one good day of eating/working out isn't going to make you a fitness model, one day of overeating isn't going to wreck your whole diet.

...unless it was the very first day of your diet, well then, it's wrecked and start again tomorrow. :)

Lets just hope, for many reasons, you don't have too many funerals to go to in a short period of time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You might have eaten 900 calories of food. I bet you're still under your TDEE...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    That's not bad, don't worry! Log it and remind yourself one day isn't going to throw you off the wagon.
  • Mom2Matahna
    Options
    I agree.. one bad day isn't going to make or break you in the long run. If you always deny yourself the "off limit" type foods, this will never stick. It will be just another diet and not a lifestyle change. Don't beat yourself up. I honestly think that we should have one day a week or every other week where we indulge. Not go nuts and eat everything, but enjoy something that isn't on your regular diet. I have a weakness for the maple bars at my local Harmons grocery store because the icing is thick and creamy instead of a maple glaze. Before I decided to start this journey, it wasn't unheard of for me to eat 3 or 4 of these a week. Now, it will be a treat a couple times a month. Unless of course, I stop craving sugar, which I'd like to happen but am not pushing for miracles. :)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    This is what worries you? A few cookies? You need to learn that the journey is not the result of a single action, but the sum of all.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It really isnt that bad, most people have cheat days anyways and still have effective weightloss, dont feel guiltyy, enjoy it and get back to your diet tomorrow its another day :)
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You definitely haven't wrecked your diet! Log it all, maybe today will end with a red number but that's not the end of the world. Tomorrow is a new day, you got to try some new yummy foods and life goes on!
    If you're feeling bad about the red number you could always throw in a little cardio routine tonight (take a little stroll around the block before settling in for the evening) but even without it I'd bet you aren't even over your TDEE.
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wrecked behind too, yesterday. Fajitas on white tortilla, bunuelos, empanadas, donuts, breakfast burrito.... yeah, bad. BUT I got up and did my healthy daily routine today. My advice is drink plenty of lemon water the next day, because all of that sugar/carbs/sodium will make your body hold onto water. Help flush it out with more water (weird, right!?). That always gives me a boost the next day. I like to do lots of leafy greens and some oats to help get stuff moving along the other way.

Hope is not lost :) Don't be so hard on yourself!
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    You definitely haven't wrecked your diet! Log it all, maybe today will end with a red number but that's not the end of the world. Tomorrow is a new day, you got to try some new yummy foods and life goes on!
    If you're feeling bad about the red number you could always throw in a little cardio routine tonight (take a little stroll around the block before settling in for the evening) but even without it I'd bet you aren't even over your TDEE.
    Estimating and logging now.. Wish me luck! :drinker:
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    I wrecked behind too, yesterday. Fajitas on white tortilla, bunuelos, empanadas, donuts, breakfast burrito.... yeah, bad. BUT I got up and did my healthy daily routine today. My advice is drink plenty of lemon water the next day, because all of that sugar/carbs/sodium will make your body hold onto water. Help flush it out with more water (weird, right!?). That always gives me a boost the next day. I like to do lots of leafy greens and some oats to help get stuff moving along the other way.

Hope is not lost :) Don't be so hard on yourself!
    Thank you so much! :smile:

I feel a lot less guilty than I would have if this happened a month or so ago. A big step in the right direction for me...!