Best Vegan Protein powder?

Options
Since a few days I've been noticing that I'm lacking protein in my diet. I'd like to get a protein powder to use in shakes. I ordered Chocolate vegan Shakeology and it tastes terrible.

Do you know of any good ones? Extra points if it's chocolate! Also how you use it (smoothie? Water?)

Replies

• nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

I use PlantFusion and I ABSOLUTELY love it. I have the Vanilla Bean, which is fine, but the Chocolate is really where it's at. Usually, I don't dig chocolate ones, because they're chalky or fake... but PlantFusion did something right with this one. It's one of the better vegan protein powders in my opinion (high protein, lower calorie). 1 scoop is 120 calories & 21 grams of protein.

I use it almost every morning in my breakfast shakes and after my workouts. My favourite is: 1 scoop Chocolate PlantFusion, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 2 TBSP PB2, 1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, 1 scoop of Green SuperFood Goji & Acai, 2 TBSP chia or flax seeds, and a handful of cacao nibs if I feel like I've been good lately :)

I hope this was helpful! VEGAN POWER!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life Raw Meal protein powders

Vegan gluten free etc
  • msbardell
    msbardell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to use Maca Up by Paradise something or another. So soy either. It has similar cals and protein to the one listed above. Maca Up is available at Vitamin Shoppe, and it's pretty cheap compared to the designer powders (Vega, Garden of Life, Raw, etc.)
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Perfect Fit made by the Tone It Up girls, Karina and Katrina? Haven't tried it yet but heard super good things...
  • foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    MIO Brown Rice Protein Powder, 19 grams of protein and 110 calories in 3 tablespoons, 1 serving. Pretty cheap and you can find it at Kroger! Great stuff, I have made pancakes as well as shakes with it.
  • jujubntx
    jujubntx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like Plant Fusion Chocolate, and also Vega One Chocolate. I usually mix them with almond milk.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Pulsin Soya Protein Isolate with almond milk!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I use this powder in smoothies mostly- but in a rush I just mix it with liquid.This Vegan protein powder is my FAVE choice. It is called Progressive, Harmonized Vegan Protein.

Ingredients:
    Harmonized Vegan Protein delivers a blend of 5 complimentary plant-based proteins (non-GMO) that include yellow pea protein Isolate, Sprouted brown rice protein concentrated, Hemp seed protein concentrated, cranberry protein and chia seed protein. A multi source protein blend offers greater nutritional diversity than any single source. This 100% vegan formula provides the full spectrum of both essential and non-essential amino acids. Each serving contains 25 grams of complete protein and is ideal for anyone wishing to increase their protein intake while avoiding soy, dairy, or animal source proteins.

I love the Vanilla one. It tastes great. It has Stevia to sweeten. Its really good.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Plant fusion is great! I got PB2 and I mix the two of them. I just shake it up with water, and its delicious!
    Sometimes at home I'll make a "milk shake" with almond milk, pb2 and plant fusion.
    I tried the cookies and cream flavor, but I don't suggest it. The chocolate is better.
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just picked up Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder in Vanilla, I got it at the vitamin shoppe, it was around $26,and the quality is great! I would highly recommend this one. I mix it up in a smoothie with some spinach, berries, banana, pb2 and almond milk and the taste is great.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    vega sport tropical was amazing good. also there chocolate was great to
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I use the Vega smoothie infusions. I throw it in with fruits and almond milk. I find it a bit chalky though so I use half a scoop, which still gives me a good amount of protein.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I vote for Hemp Pro 70. My smoothie: 4 tbl hemp, 1tbl cocoa, 1/2 banana, sweetener to taste, about 1/2 cup almond milk & about 6 crushed ice cubes. Blend everything. (My blender sucks so I have to put the ice in a plastic bag & whack it with a mallet. first) Play with it--you could leave out the cocoa and add vanilla or some other fruit.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    SUN WARRIOR! It's the best way to go. EVER.
  • henriettevanittersum
    Options
    I use this powder in smoothies mostly- but in a rush I just mix it with liquid.This Vegan protein powder is my FAVE choice. It is called Progressive, Harmonized Vegan Protein.

Ingredients:
    Harmonized Vegan Protein delivers a blend of 5 complimentary plant-based proteins (non-GMO) that include yellow pea protein Isolate, Sprouted brown rice protein concentrated, Hemp seed protein concentrated, cranberry protein and chia seed protein. A multi source protein blend offers greater nutritional diversity than any single source. This 100% vegan formula provides the full spectrum of both essential and non-essential amino acids. Each serving contains 25 grams of complete protein and is ideal for anyone wishing to increase their protein intake while avoiding soy, dairy, or animal source proteins.

I love the Vanilla one. It tastes great. It has Stevia to sweeten. Its really good.

Yes, it's my favorite as well. I like mixing in a banana, coconut water and some fat free plain greek yoghurt to make it less sweet. BTW, it comes in chocolate taste too, but I haven't tried that one (yet). But I'm not Vegan obviously.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For the following raw vegan products, lets assume a standardized amount of 50 grams of **powder** per drink:

* Elite Green Protein, Cool Green & Mesquite, 500 grams, $43.00, $4.3 per drink (32g protein)
    * Boku Super Protein, 600 grams, $46.95, $3.33 per drink (41.5g protein)
    * Vega Sport, Vanilla, 829 grams, $48.62, $2.93 per drink (36.7g protein)
    * Vega Sport, Berry, 829 grams, $48.62, $2.93 per drink (36.7g protein)
    * Vega Sport, Chocolate, 829 grams, $48.62, $2.93 per drink (38.2g protein)
    * Warrior Food Extreme V2.0, Vanilla or Chocolate, 1000 grams, $52, = $2.60 per drink (32g protein)
    * Warrior Food Extreme, Natural, 1000 grams, $43, $2.15 per drink (34.8g protein)
    * Sun Warrior Blend, Natural, 1000 grams, $37.8, $1.89 per drink (40g protein)
    * Sun Warrior Blend, Vanilla, 1000 grams, $37.8, $1.89 per drink (38g protein)
    * Sun Warrior Blend, Chocolate, 1000 grams, $37.8, $1.89 per drink (34g protein)
    * Sun Warrior Classic, Natural, 1000 grams, $37.8, $1.89 per drink (34g protein)
    * Sun Warrior Classic, Vanilla, 1000 grams, $37.8, $1.89 per drink (30g protein)
    * Sun Warrior Classic, Chocolate, 1000 grams, $37.8, $1.89 per drink (32g protein)
    * Plantfusion, Unflavored, 908 grams, $28.38, $1.56 per drink (36.7g protein)
    * Plantfusion, Chocolate, 908 grams, $28.38, $1.56 per drink (35g protein)
    * Plantfusion, Vanilla Bean, 908 grams, $31.07, $1.71 per drink (35g protein)
    * Plantfusion, Chocolate-Raspberry, 908 grams, $31.07, $1.71 per drink (35g protein)
    * Vegan Protein+, Double Chocolate, 780 grams, $35.07, $2.25 per drink (30.67g protein)
    * Vegan Protein+, Natural Vanilla, 780 grams, $35.07, $2.25 per drink (37.17g protein)

1) Warrior Food (Health Force & Warrior Force) is not same company as Sun Warrior.
    2) Warrior Food tastes alot better **to me** than Sun WarriorBlend (real vanilla and cacao instead of extracts and flavours like Vega and other cheap brands)
    3) I have not tried Sun Warrior Classic, but it probably tastes same (awful for me) so i won't try it
    4) I have not tried Plantfusion but looks like it may be worth trying due to price, although it contains sweeteners other than stevia.
    5) As far as the protein amino acid chains in all of the above, they are all reasonably ok.
    6) Scoop size varies from product to product so keep that in mind if you do your own work and compare calculations. I standardised it for simple comparison and you may want to use a different amount depending on your target protein consumption amount.
    7) There is more to consider than protein content when evaluating the price of course.
    8) Those that live in the U.S should be able to get even cheaper prices than the ones used above.

I am mixing 1/2 Warrior Extreme Natural with preferred flavoured to increase protein and decrease cost.

BUT I haven't tried this but worth trying, especially if cost is key http://truenutrition.com/c-198-vegan-protein-powders.aspx, Check it out!

Other resources:
    1) http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein
    2) http://finalreview.hubpages.com/hub/Vegan-Protein-Powder
    3) http://proteinpowderforvegans.com/
    4) https://healthforce.com/education/white-papers/warrior-food-2/
  • Reenimal
    Reenimal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump for awesomely comprehensive buying info.
  • SoSheDid_
    SoSheDid_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bumping for that list. Thank you!
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Before you invest in a big jar, find some samples to try. I'm doing that right now. A lot of natural food stores sell one serving samples for $1-3. I looked at the SunWarrior website and it says they will send you samples for the price of shipping. You might check other companies and see if they will do the same.