Tenderized Deer steak - need recipes

Options

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    We only kill 2yr old doe for the freezer, tastes just like grass fed beef. No one can ever tell. Button buck tastes fine but not worth the butcher bill. All buck should be turned into smoked summer sausage in my opinion. My husband was forced to harvest a 4 yr old buck that had been poorly shot by a poorly trained hunter 3 yrs ago. He excised the ruined quarter and We sausaged the whole animal. We kill for meat, not for rack.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    We only kill 2yr old doe for the freezer, tastes just like grass fed beef. No one can ever tell. Button buck tastes fine but not worth the butcher bill. All buck should be turned into smoked summer sausage in my opinion. My husband was forced to harvest a 4 yr old buck that had been poorly shot by a poorly trained hunter 3 yrs ago. He excised the ruined quarter and We sausaged the whole animal. We kill for meat, not for rack.

Absolutely. Sign of a good hunter!!!!!!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, I need to get into hunting.. I want deer.. SO badly.
    LOVE deer meat.
    Just in. For the deer.

Sadly, no recipes, but one day... DEFINITELY.
  • autovatic
    autovatic Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What about jerky? It's actually easier to start with it slightly frozen, so you can slice it no thicker than 1/4". Against the grain, if you want it to be more tender (more brittle, also).

Typical marinade has oil, salt, spices and an acid like vinegar:
    1/4 c soy sauce
    2tbsn brown sugar
    2tbsn Worcestershire sauce
    1tsp garlic powder
    1/2tsn onion powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 c oil
    Combine all ingredients, whisking in the oil last. Place the strips in the marinade and refrigerate over night. Remove meat from marinade and dry on paper towels. Place strips flat on baking sheets - not touching each other. Heat in oven at 180-200f. Dry until a piece cracks but doesn't break when bent (usually between 5-10 hours). Start checking on them around the 3 hr mark. Tedious, but tasty!
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The trick is to bread it and fry it in a small amount of oil. My breading is flour and seasoning. Just make sure that your flour does not smell like flour after you are done adding the seasoning. If it does add some more! Wet with evaporated milk and a few drops of any kind of hot sauce mixed together. then bread with well seasoned flour. And fry a few minutes on each side, just until the pink is gone. Best of luck.

Some people just don't like it no matter what you do with it...that is okay too.

Blessings!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Around here a lot of folks do the deer sausage. It's about 85% deer and 15% pork. It's good, but the cost takes away the advantage of killing your own meat. When I was younger and had killed an older deer, I would slice it as thin as possible and fry it very quickly in a deep fat fryer.
  • ballito
    ballito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Slice thinly. Quickly stir fry. Make sauce of - 1/2 cup oyster sauce, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp honey, garlic. Stir to coat venison. Yummy. Have another on with herbs and spices but It's at home. Will post shortly.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    What about jerky? It's actually easier to start with it slightly frozen, so you can slice it no thicker than 1/4". Against the grain, if you want it to be more tender (more brittle, also).

1/4 c soy sauce
    2tbsn brown sugar
    1tsp garlic powder
    1/2tsn onion powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 c oil
    Combine all ingredients, whisking in the oil last. Place the strips in the marinade and refrigerate over night. Remove meat from marinade and dry on paper towels. Place strips flat on baking sheets - not touching each other. Heat in oven at 180-200f. Dry until a piece cracks but doesn't break when bent (usually between 5-10 hours). Start checking on them around the 3 hr mark. Tedious, but tasty!
    [/quote

Wow, this sounds really good.. Thanks
  • ballito
    ballito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Here is the other recipe as promised

2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 tsp dry thyme or fresh
    1/2 curry powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
    Black pepper

Toss venison in spices. Heat oven to 200/400. Sear meat in hot pan. Cook in hot oven 15-20 mins
  • lizwizCYLS
    lizwizCYLS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    beer....soak it in beer with lots of garlic & chopped onions for 2 - 3 days & that'll help tons....1st venison my x ever brought home was from an area where the darned critters ate CEDAR TREES....strong & gamey yuck....also 50% 50% with hot pork sausage will help compensate for the extremely low fat & fine grained texture which tends to make it dry & chewy
  • autovatic
    autovatic Posts: 99 Member
    Options

1/4 c soy sauce
    2tbsn brown sugar
    1tsp garlic powder
    1/2tsn onion powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 c oil

Wow, this sounds really good.. Thanks

Keep in mind your whole house will smell like meat. Not that I mind that smell, but you and the dogs will probably be drooling all day - I was! I tried it overnight once, as well, but it's a lot harder to monitor that way.
  • draya114
    draya114 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am thawing out some Round Venison steak right now! We usually eat the back strap and ground venison I haven't cooked anything with this yet. My plan however was to sautee in a pan with some onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms then put on a Hoagie bun with swiss cheese. My husband is skeptical thinking it will taste too gamey. We shall see!
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm a hunter and I teach outdoor cooking and have been cooking deer meat for as long as I can remember... I LOVE venison. People have a tendency to destroy the meat by abusing it. What I mean is, process it properly, store it properly, and cook it properly....

Low and slow is the name of the game for roasts and the like. For thinner cuts, flash cook it and leave it a little rarer than you would leave your beef. TRUST ME ON THIS!!!

DO NOT OVER COOK YOUR DEER MEAT!!!

If you want a great recipe for tenderized deer steaks, do what I do and keep it simple. Dredge them in a little seasoned flour and fry them in a HOT skillet until they are crisp on the inside but still soft. You don't want to cook all the juices out of them or they will be dry and tough as shoe leather.

Or put them in a baking dish with some onions, a little flour and water, a tablespoon or two of Worchestershire sauce, and a big can of diced tomatoes. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour and serve with mashed potatoes. Make yourself some easy Swiss steak with those tender little morsels...

Oh and I have two deer roasts in the crockpot at home simmering away for dinner.... Can't wait!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have 6 packages of pretenderized deer steak left from last season. I have tried it in stew- nasty. In soup- nasty. Fried- nasty. Grilled-yep, nasty. A friend suggested I make "chicken fried steak" with it. I have never made that. Any suggestions that will not be... NASTY?

Well, if you don't like venison then there is only so much you can do. Personally, I love it. Try marinating it first. There are many recipes on the internet. One of my favorite ways to eat venison is in stir fry.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, I need to get into hunting.. I want deer.. SO badly.
    LOVE deer meat.
    Just in. For the deer.

Sadly, no recipes, but one day... DEFINITELY.

Find a local deer processor and ask them if they sell meat that is not picked up. There is almost always a few who kill a deer then don't have the money to pick it up from the processor and many processors will sell the meat to whoever is willing to pay for it.
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Brine the venison. It will restructure the meat and make it tender. Then you can cook it however you like.
  • mjbself
    mjbself Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe make jerky out of it. That is what my dad does with the cuts he doesn't prefer.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing with venison is DO NOT OVER COOK IT!! Medium is the most venison should be cooked, I prefer medium rare. The more you cook it tougher it gets and the stronger the "gamey" taste gets. My family loves venison in a stroganoff, but any beef recipe can be substituted with venison.

Edited for spelling.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Most people have trouble with it because it is so lean, therefore can be dry and tough if not cooked properly. Any cooking method where it cooks quickly and retains moisture will work. Since it's been tenderized, it should cook more easily than usual. Maybe lightly braise, then thin slice cross-grain? Some great suggestions above me.

If you get more deer meat this season, the easiest way to package it is ground (except for back strap, which is heaven on a plate!). Ground venison can be used anywhere you'd use ground beef/poultry. but keep in mind its' need for some additional fat/moisture when cooking.

Yep, yep, and yep! There is nothing better than venison back strap grilled to just rare with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Another easy packaging method is canning. You can used canned venison for all sorts of delicious meals...stroganoff, chili, stews, casseroles, etc...