What are your go-to recipes?

Options
Psychedelicately
Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
I'm looking for quick/easy-ish recipes to add to my list of go-to's. Here are some of mine:

Pita pizzas - 100% whole wheat pita bread, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and veggies. Warm up the pita in the oven then add toppings and heat for about five minutes.

Greek yogurt with oats/coconut/fruit/nuts/honey/anything else I come up with that sounds good. I do the same thing with oatmeal - cook the oats then add all the same as above but I use brown sugar instead of honey. So so good and quick.

I do a lot of potatoes with a little butter and salt and pepper/seasonings.

I cut up squash/zucchini/etc, add a little olive oil and salt and pepper and bake in the oven.

Lettuce wraps instead of tacos - ground turkey/cheese/lettuce/tomatoes/cilantro/green onions/salsa or sriracha. Doesn't take long and is super easy. Sometimes I'll switch out the ground turkey for black beans and put that over lettuce (with all the toppings) as a salad. Really good.

I'm trying to incorporate as many fruits and veggies as I can into my diet, but I never learned to cook (just now starting to experiment with it) and I don't have a lot of time. I end up eating the same thing over and over a lot, kind of a variation of what I listed above. We did make eggplant parmesan the other day and that was delicious, but took a lot of time so I'm looking for quick/simple recipes.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    pizza
    bolognese sauce -- you can add lots of veggies in here ie: chickpeas, peppers...
    soups -- again make different combinations of veggies
    stir fry
    salmon patties/ burgers
    salads - make my own dressings and use different combinations for whats in the salad
    baked sweet potato
    breakfast burritos - egg, black beans, cheese and cilantro

i actually have a great group of girlfriends and we do a rotation for who is hosting a supper every week. i find that during the week i'll usually make the same thing for lunch and dinner, but then maybe once a week or every other week try something new (especially when i'm hosting). i really like skinnytaste.com for healthy recipes. i've made the squash/black bean enchiladas twice now ( once with squash and the other time with sweet potato) and both times it turned out really well.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You may want to try and pick up a cookbook from the bookstore or your library. My family has always cooked everything from scratch but it was a little difficult for my husband as he didnt come from a family of cooks. His favorite health conscious/amazing eats cookbook is by Ellie Krieger. Lucky for you, you can basically find all of the recipes online...

Off the top of my head, I love her egg salad and Chicken Sausage/Escarole pasta recipe.

The Escarole recipe reminds me of something that I used to eat growing up. Instead of the pasta, I love making it like a soup (more broth and more veggies)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/pasta-with-escarole-white-beans-and-chicken-sausage-recipe.html

Here is a link to all of her recipes found on FOODNETWORK... everything is healthy/tasty/fast to whip up!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/chefs/ellie-krieger/recipes.html
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Close to your lettuce wrap taco things except with mexican seasoning and green peppers cooked in for a taco/fajita taste. Great with a small wrap!

Zucchini boats - Brown some ground chicken or turkey, throw in any seasonings you want, again I do the mexican seasoning. Some onion and some crushed tomatos. Cut zucchini in half and scoop out seeds leaving a hollow place to put meat. Add meat mixture into zucchini and bake on 350 for 30 minutes.

Overnight oats - Use old fasioned steel cut or original oats, add plain yogurt 1/2 cup, almond or 2% milk 2 tbs, and as much fruit as you want. I sweeten with brown sugar sometimes and use vanilla yogurt instead. Let sit in fridge overnight and can eat cold or heat up for breakfast.
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great ideas so far - thanks you guys! I'm going to try a lot of these this week.

Checking out that website now too