Are egg beaters bad for you?

Options
I am going to a place for breakfast and I have the option of replacing my eggs with egg beaters which i wanted to do to save calories.

I often have trouble staying within my calorie goal because i am such a snacker (i do manage to stay under most of the time haha).

I'm not really sure what is in them but they seam sort of fake to me, are they okay or should i just stick with regular eggs?

Thanks!

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with them, they're just egg whites. The only thing is you will miss out on a lot of nutrients found only in the yolk.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    according to their website

"What are Egg Beaters made of?
    Egg Beaters Original is made of 99% all-natural egg whites. We season the egg whites, add in beta-carotene for a natural yellow color, and then add back in the vitamins and minerals that are found in the yolk of an egg.

Egg Beaters 100% Egg Whites are made of 100% all-natural egg whites. See our What Are Egg Beaters? page for more information."

so looks like if you are getting something made with the "original" formula there is other stuff added back in, so I suppose it depends on how you feel about the nutrients that are added back vs. those in whole eggs, as well as the other stuff added to original.

I have to say, I was surprised to find out they were made of actual eggs. I always wondered about that (just had never thought to look before) and figured they were made of something funky like seaweed or whatever.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    What on Earth is an "Egg Beater"??
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options

My exact thoughts when I first read this! I was like 'how can they be bad, they are just a kitchen utensil? Are they made of lead or something?" Whoops! hahahah :blushing:
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

I use my egg beater to beat my eggs when baking a cake.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

I use my egg beater to beat my eggs when baking a cake.

Eggsactly
  • Ellyssandraa
    Options
    Its an egg substitute but I've never eaten them before and I am sort of unsure about them
    http://www.eggbeaters.com/
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Its an egg substitute but I've never eaten them before and I am sort of unsure about them
    http://www.eggbeaters.com/

Cheers.

Is there ought wrong with whole eggs? (I know some folks are allergic to egg protein)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'd say go with eating real whole eggs. At least you know what you're getting and they aren't a lot of calories.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with them, they're just egg whites. The only thing is you will miss out on a lot of nutrients found only in the yolk.

which is an awful lot of nutrients. Egg yolks are very nutritious.

Egg whites are a good way to bump up your protein intake without bumping up the calories too much, but do eat egg yolks as well. If you're finding it hard to fit whole eggs into your calorie goal, maybe you need to eat more, i.e. reevaluate your calorie goal.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you are getting all your micro nutrients from the rest of your diet then just go with egg whites (as opposed to a substitute) less calories.

That being said nutritional content aside, the yolks are the best bit - I would happily ditch the whites and just eat the yoke every time.:smile:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Naturegg Simply Egg Whites which is similar to egg beaters has a fair amount of sodium. If sodium is a concern, check the sodium content in egg beaters in comparison to fresh egg whites. The fresh is lower in sodium and lower in price than egg beaters.