HRM monitors

Options
I'm looking for a calorie/HRM monitor that straps around your waist and also has a tracker that you can also wear on your wrist. Anyone have one of these? What's a good brand and how much are they?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There are no devices that I know of that are both an activity tracker and HRM.

If you go with a HRM, you want to get one with a chest strap. The ones that do not have one are far less accurate.
    A good read when considering a HRM
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I actually found one, its the Polar FT4. It has a chest strap and watch so it calculates both. The one I bought is for cross training and fitness. I mainly do Zumba so I needed a simple one. They also have ones that have GPS.
    http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I actually found one, its the Polar FT4. It has a chest strap and watch so it calculates both. The one I bought is for cross training and fitness. I mainly do Zumba so I needed a simple one. They also have ones that have GPS.
    http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4

I may be misunderstanding what you mean by activity tracker - usually people refer to FitBits and other devices you wear all day long to monitor you daily activity/calories. You can wear your Polar all day long but it won't give you an accurate calorie estimate like the activity trackers do.
    Also keep in mind when they advertise a HRM for different activities, that does not necessarily mean they will give you an accurate calorie estimate for that. There are HRMs advertised for use with strength training, however, it is for monitoring HR during exercise to know when you are ready to workout again. The calorie estimation formula is not accurate though.

Polar should be find for Zumba. Again, I thought you were looking for something to wear all day.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    I'm just worried the strap won't fit. It says it's a M-XXL but I have a small waist and im afraid it'll be too big.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I'm just worried the strap won't fit. It says it's a M-XXL but I have a small waist and im afraid it'll be too big.

It fits under your bra line, so it will be larger than your waist. I don't have a polar but all the HRM straps I had a pretty adjustable.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    I have a 24" chest waist so hopefully it will adjust that far. They do have a woman's one that is pink but the strap also comes in a medium. I looked at one review and she said she was petite and it worked but who knows. They sell size small straps on amazon for $20 but I really don't wanna buy one if I don't need it.
  • carlywitham
    carlywitham Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My HRM strap is a little large, but I just use a hair tie (or tie some of the elastic in a knot) to shorten it slightly and this works fine!