I'm responsible for the YAMS!

Options
msbanana
msbanana Posts: 793 Member
Hey ya'll! I'm responsible for the Yams at dinner tomorrow. Mostly because I refuse to eat the ones my mother "makes." By "makes" I mean dumps out of the can adds brown sugar and marshmallows to and bakes into a funky soup. :sick:

I did chili glazed sweet potatoes (I did half yams half sweet potatoes) for thanksgiving and they were a huge hit. I would like to try something like that again (sweet and savory perhaps). Does anyone have any good HEALTHY ideas?

We're having ham, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes (with whole cream & butter :noway: :love: ) I'm making green beans as well... And there will be a whole slew of other things like biscuts, pies, crackers, olives, cheese balls etc...

Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks!!! :flowerforyou:

Oh and happy holidays!!

Replies

• MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I'm not any help because I've never been a fan of yams/sweet potatoes due to the canned yams experiences in the past. I am interested to see the replies though. Maybe they'll give me inspiration to try them again.
  • msbanana
    Options
    mmmm that looks yummy! Keep 'em coming!! :bigsmile:
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    I've made these and they were excellent.

http://www.thefreshmarket.com/recipes/recipes_details_review.aspx?RecipeID=1508

They call for a bit of both brown sugar and maple syrup. I would skip the brown sugar. Also, the orange zest you add at the end can be overpowering, so use it sparingly.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I actually made a sweet potato casserole but I used whole yams from the store and baked them in the oven til tender...then followed the rest of this recipe it's really good you should try this...

Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole

Sprinkle a buttery, brown sugar and pecan mixture over the top of the creamy potatoes in this sweet potato casserole that's sweet enough to be dessert.

Yield: 18 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)

14 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 5 pounds)
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375°.

Place potato in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Combine the half-and-half and next 4 ingredients (half-and-half through egg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add potato to egg mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Combine flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add chilled butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over potato mixture.

Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until the topping is browned and the potatoes are thoroughly heated.

CALORIES 250 (23% from fat); FAT 6.3g (sat 2.4g,mono 2.5g,poly 1g); IRON 1.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 22mg; CALCIUM 49mg; CARBOHYDRATE 46.1g; SODIUM 149mg; PROTEIN 3.3g; FIBER 2.7g
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I did a super easy mashed yams recipe for a friend's Thanksgiving potluck

1. Bake or boil yams until they are soft enough to mash.

2. Blend in some soy milk, pumpkin pie spice, some honey and I threw in a bit of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter

3. Spread in a pan and sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar, bake for like 20 or 25 minutes.

Really easy, really low in calories since you're aren't adding much to the yams. It was a big hit!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Ooooh I have a great sweet potato casserole recipe I need to find where I put the recipe because it was YUMMY and really not too bad for you.

Here you go:

Casserole:
    3 medium sweet potatoes.
    1 egg
    1/4 cup egg whites
    1 tablespoon agave nectar
    1/2 cup original almond milk
    2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate (I used Langers Orange Juice Plus - don't make it into juice, just use the concentrate)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoons salt.

Topping:
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    2 1/2 tablespoons splenda brown sugar blend
    2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 tablespoon melted Blue Bonnet Light Margarine (it's dairy-free and I'm allergic to milk)
    1/2 cup crushed almonds (I used a half cup whole natural almonds, put them in a bag, and beat them with a mallet)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 or similar sized baking dish with non-stick spray
    Peel, chop, and boil the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes or until soft. Mash and measure out 3 cups.
    In a blender or food processor, add sweet potatoes, almond milk, orange juice concentrate, vanilla, egg, egg white, agave nectar, salt. Blend until smooth.
    Pour into pan, spread evenly.

Topping: Combine ingredients, mix well with wooden spoon or hands - crumble over top of casserole batter.

Bake 35-45 minutes. Serves approximately 8 people.

Nutritional info:
    Calories: 214
    Fat: 7
    Protein: 6
    Fiber: 5
    Sodium: 231
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    We've been eating a lot of yams these days. We do them like baked potatoes, or you can skin them and place in a steamer basket and steam till soft then mash sprinkle on them what you want. If you need something to mash with them you can use a tiny bit of chicken stock or some of the water that you used to steam them. I find that I like a little ginger on mine.

Have fun with them.
  • larson0185
    Options
    My Auntie Geeta slices fresh, peeled, raw sweet potatoes into coins, and puts them in a baking dish (one layer--they overlap just a little with every row) with the barest hint of brown sugar, a tiny bit of butter (maybe a tablespoon total for a 9x13" glass dish), a bunch of cinnamon, and crushed pecans. She bakes them until they yield easily to fork pressure. My guess is 375-400F. They're fantabulous.
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    Not necessarily for a holiday dinner, but these are sure good for other times:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/potatoes/sweet_potato_steak_fries.html

I've made these twice, in the oven, using our favorite BBQ seasoning (Pappy's Seasoning) instead of the ones used in the recipe. Even just some chili powder will spice 'em up a bit. I liked them dipped in Ranch Dressing, and DH just likes ketchup. (You can also cut them in rounds or large cubes for easier handling.)
  • msbanana
    Options
    I've made these and they were excellent.

http://www.thefreshmarket.com/recipes/recipes_details_review.aspx?RecipeID=1508

They call for a bit of both brown sugar and maple syrup. I would skip the brown sugar. Also, the orange zest you add at the end can be overpowering, so use it sparingly.

I did this one (I altered the recipe slightly) and they were soooooooo yummy.

Thanks for all the tips guys!! :bigsmile:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm adding mine to late for Christmas but I like sweet potatoes year round, here are my two favorite ways.

Roast a whole garlic. Bake four sweet potatoes, scoop out potato, place in bowl with roasted garlic, two tablespoons greek style yogurt, some salt and pepper and mash. These warm up good so I like to make extra to have for leftovers.

Another way I like them is to peel them, slice into 1/4 in pieces. Rub with a little extra virgin olive oil mixed with some chopped fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, salt & pepper. Put onto baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 30-40 min. If I don't have fresh herbs I use dried and will use one or any combination depending on what I have.

They also make a great snack if sliced very thin, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with something spicey like Emeril's Essence (you can google that and make your own, it's a really good spicey seasoning!) Bake at 425 until there kind of crispy, such a yummy treat!

I don't care for those sweet recipes, the sweet potato and yam are so naturally sweet I just cannot see adding to it but using savory ingredients make them into side dishes that can be not only healthy but very tasty!
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    i'll try a few of these