Getting started - help with calorie counting

Options
Hi. I have done many diet programs successfully but have trouble
1. getting started again
2. staying there when I start to get my weight down.

I will lose 20 of the 40 I need to lose then gain it all back because I am excited about getting in to my clothes again.

I garden for my self and others so I tend to lose well in the summer. But in the winter I tend to become more sedentary. I have no excuses for not exercising because I work at the Y but getting time after work to exercise can be a challenge. I also have 4 Alsatians who would love walks.

So how do I find out how many calories my foods are? I make most of my own foods, including my bread. Last night I had a salad with a tiny amount of grilled pork and olives that would count in the count. I also grilled a pork pattie with sautéed onions and peppers and one slice of that bread. I have no idea how to count the calories for all that.

My food downfall is sweets. I cant turn them down and chocolate always has my name on it. Also I have a hard time eating just one. So I welcome any help I can get and appreciate all the motivation. Thanks Thomps

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to do the work and follow the recommendations of this link then you will be on your way:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Labrydog
    Labrydog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder to put your own recipes in and then it's easier to log your own pre-calculated foods. I love using this as I make most of my own food from scratch.

Weigh EVERYTHING , at least at the start as most foods on the database come with the handy 1g/oz option so it's pretty easy to get an accurate calorie calculation.

I sat down at the start for a full afternoon and put all my usual foods into meals and recipes. It was time well spent as now I can easily log from my frequent foods.

Hope you have success!!!