Do MFP friends really help?

Options
I have been doing MFP for months, off and on for over a year actually. The one thing I've noticed this time is that I have alot more support in the non-cyber world and it seems to be helping me alot during the week. However, when the weekend hits, I lose all thoughts of tracking and motivation. I was wondering if people out there have MFP friends who help keep them accountably during the weekend and if it helps?

:embarassed: also, if it does help, please add me!

Replies

• Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal thing, and also depends on who you have as MFP friends. If you have supportive friends and are open to (but still take with a grain of salt when necessary) advice, constructive criticism and commenting, then it's more than likely to be helpful. And vice-versa.

I, personally, don't have any MFP friends as this is a very personal journey for me. However, you will often find me chilling and interacting on the forums -and I find that I feel supported through this. To each their own :smile:
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Depends on how close you are willing to get to someone.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Well, I don't want to pick out curtains with anybody...:laugh:
  • Sinisterly
    Options

Well, fine! You don't have to be my friend!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    Lol :flowerforyou:

I mean what you're willing to share with someone regarding your journey. :smile:
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options

Well, fine! You don't have to be my friend!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    Lol :flowerforyou:

I mean what you're willing to share with someone regarding your journey. :smile:

Lol my life's an open book...and so is my diary I think.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think it helps, though I have only really started participating in the forums and adding friends here recently.

Consistentcy is a huge problem for me. I get bored easily. MFP friends make it a lot easier to remain consistent, and I feel like I can actually stick around and achieve my goal weight. I used to log my calories for a while-maybe two weeks at a time, then give up. It was boring.
    No one saw anything I did...which was comfortable. I didn't realise you could add friends here, either.

This time I have been here the longest I ever have managed to. I have been counting my cals and exercise for about 40 days (I missed 4 days and the count started again) but the important thing is I didn't drop the ball there, and feel more motivated to continue logging in with people here to talk to, forums to read and learn from etc. It is more mentally stimulating.
    And while I was nervous for anybody to see the calories burned and personal stuff, It does surprisingly feel good to have people comment on it, and it's encouraging to see others' efforts too. I genuinely feel proud of them and motivated by their achievements. No one in my life is trying to get healthier or lose weight, so that's really nice to be surrounded by also :)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Forums help me but having friends on here not so much - mainly bc if I focused on that I'd probably spend too much time on the site and I try to avoid that.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your interactions with your friends.

Some of my MFP friends have been a huge help to me, helping me get up when I fall over, and making sure I don't get too down when I can't see the progress, congratulating me when I do. It is not so much that they keep me accountable, more they keep me supported and stop from being discouraged.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    People who have MFP friends, how did you choose them?
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options

^^^My next question as well...
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I might try a lonely hearts advert,

"34 year old female slimmer seeks similar for regular updates and encouragement. Would like to work in stones and pounds. No time wasters".
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    you get back what you put in i think

if you are actively supporting others then they will be more likely to support you
  • Sinisterly
    Options

^^^My next question as well...
    Sense of humor. Runners (I like to run), etc.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    personally i like having mfp friends as they form a small group to share the journey with - the forums can be large and more impersonal. I like to be able to chat about people's diaries, great for meal and exercise ideas. Choosing friends is difficult but my fl has tended to focus on people from the UK only because the same time zones, supermarket chains etc make it easier to discuss foods - i do have a few friends from US and they are great but they are active when I'm asleep and, while fascinating to read, their food diaries are often hard to decipher because of ingredient variations. I also like to have friends of a similar age in the mix.

If I have not responded to any friend requests it is not because I do not like the look of anyone - happy to cheer everyone along - it's more that i like the list to be small and relevant for me.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options
    I might try a lonely hearts advert,

"34 year old female slimmer seeks similar for regular updates and encouragement. Would like to work in stones and pounds. No time wasters".

:huh: *shudders* online "dating" profile for fitness friends...

might try this, but how do you honestly sum yourself up in just a few words???
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My MFP buddies help and inspire me. I am from the UK and 32yrs old. The majority of my friends list are similar age and all from the UK, the reason I kept my friends list 'local' is so I can look at their diaries and steal their food ideas, unfortunately I cannot do this with people from overseas and also the measurements are often in different units.

I bore everyone in my personal 'real' life about diet and exercise so its great to have like minded people to chat to online. I keep my friends list small(ish) approx. 16-18 people so I can genuinely support and get to know them and vice versa.
  • NovaStar82
    Options
    I wouldn't be without my MFP buddies and try to make sure I've something in common with most of them, be it location, sports, sarcasm and wit etc ;-)
  • rhonda6374
    rhonda6374 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, they play a huge role in my motivation. I see them moving ahead, working out, and eating well and it inspires me. They also pick you up when you are down. I have one accountability partner that I message each day that I work out and vice versa.

You can friend me and do the same (message) if you would like on the weekends or during the week if you need. The only thing I would ask if you do that is can you be consistent?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yes, I made a lot of friends here that became REAL friends... We text and talk about fitness and food and our goals, it stops me boring the **** out of my co-workers and family who don't share the same interests.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    The folks on my FL are awesome, and make this whole trek a lot more bearable. It also helps me to not drive my girlfriend completely insane with my obsessing.

Probably 98% of my friends are redditors from /r/loseit, but I've found some great people on here as well.