Query about Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hi everyone.

I am looking at getting a heart rate monitor so I can log my excersise calories correctly but I am not sure which one to get.

I am female but am not sure if the chest band for the female heart rate monitors would fit me as I am rather large at the moment. Would I be better off getting one of the ones that is aimed at men or would this be a bad idea?

If you have any reccomendations that would also be great.

Thanks

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar H7 HRM. It pairs with my phone. The chest strap is unisex and adustable. I would check your measurement and then check the stats for the HRM. Good Luck, I hope you find what works best for you.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin ViVo Fit with their elastic chest strap. The watch is meant to be worn 24x7 with batteries that last 1 year which is cool. You just put on the strap for exercise and it can sync via your phone or computer to Garmin for tracking. I hear that the contracts are signed for MFP integration as well via the apps page, but I'll believe it when I see it!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in getting one but it has to be waterproof to track swimming if possible.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about other brands but the Polar chest straps are fully adjustable so pretty much one size fits all and as the above poster said, are unisex. The watches are marketed by gender but that's just because women tend to like smaller sized watchers and more colors than men.

I weighed the same as you do when I started (going by the ticker on your profile) and the chest strap for my Polar F6 (comparable to the FT4 I have now) fit just fine. Not sure if you know this but the strap goes under your breasts so it just has to fit around your chest.

If you're still concerned, I'd imagine that if you went to the product website, it would say the measusment of the chest strap so you can check it against your chest measurment to make sure it would fit correctly.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in getting one but it has to be waterproof to track swimming if possible.

Some of the Polar models are water resistant. You just have to be careful not to press any buttons while you're underwater and you need to make sure that when the battery in the watch or transmitter is replaced that the seal is still good. You can check their website for more info
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4- I'm pretty sure it's waterproof too.
  • samg135
    samg135 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the advice.

I went for the Polar FT7 in the end and am looking forward to it arriving.