Once more, with feeling

Options
kayhag7
kayhag7 Posts: 10 Member
Coming back to MFP today after a year of many changes and challenges that "interfered" with my weight loss efforts. Now I am in a new city, with a gym a block away. I've worked with a personal trainer once a week for five months and added new kinds of exercise to keep me interested. I'm already a Zumba regular for 5 years, and recently discovered BodyPump and the rowing machine. Kettle bells? Not so much! But I feel great about strength, stamina, and cardio now, so it's time to focus on diet.

I'm 64, 5'3", and weigh 169 today. That's pretty much where my weight stays. Like many post-menopausal women, I am amazed and often discouraged with my metabolism. My diet is already healthy, I love to cook, am definitely a "foodie" in terms of interest in cuisine, and thus feel irritated when asked to track calories, etc. I've realized if I can reframe calorie counting/portion control, etc., as just another cool way to think about food, I may transform that irritation to focus. Ever the optimist.

My trainer thinks rebalancing carb/protein/fat levels within a calorie range will do the trick. I'm ready to give it another go, this time with different resources, accountability, support, and feeling. I chose the My Midsummer Scenario group to get a short-term quick-start to practicing this new focus.

Thanks so much for setting this up, and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Replies

• liannecatherine
    liannecatherine Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Kay! I am also returning to MFP after a little hiatus. Sounds like you're already doing the right things, so keep it up! It is tough to lose weight, especially for women. I see you're on the short side like me (5'2), which makes it even more noticeable when we gain, so I totally get you.

Wishing you the best of luck!

-Lianne
  • kayhag7
    kayhag7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Appreciate it, Lianne.
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    All the best to you, Kay! I joined that group as well. I look forward to seeing your progress!