Appropriate upgrade in kettlebell weight

Options
Hey guys, I started working out with a cheap 15 pound kettlebell a couple of weeks ago and I've taken to it better than any form of exercise I've ever tried. I look forward to getting time in with it, and as someone who's struggled with exercise being a grind I'm excited just for that.
That being said, when I started I couldn't press this weight with my left arm, now I can for quite a few reps and I'm not feeling challenged by swings much, so I want to buy a new bell. Also it'll be kind of a non-food reward to myself :)
My dilemma is that I'm nervous to go all the way up to 26 lbs from 15, will this be too big a jump in weight? I feel like I'd be wasting money with 22 lbs and outgrow it quickly, but I also don't wanna, you know, die.
Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It would depend on how easy you handle your current weight as to whether the jump is appropriate or not.

If swings aren't challenging, something is wrong.

ETA - OK, I'm back. I've converted those weights into meaningful terms and I've realised the issue. You've got a paperweight not a kettlebell.
    Go 26lb, or even 35lbs. You'll just take longer to master the 35lbs.
  • Raggedy_Ann
    Options
    It would depend on how easy you handle your current weight as to whether the jump is appropriate or not.

If swings aren't challenging, something is wrong.

ETA - OK, I'm back. I've converted those weights into meaningful terms and I've realised the issue. You've got a paperweight not a kettlebell.
    Go 26lb, or even 35lbs. You'll just take longer to master the 35lbs.
    Thanks for your input. As a 45 year old out of shape mom working out for the first time in years I felt the weight was a good fit to start for me. You'll be pleased to know my 12 kg real kettlebell is in the mail
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    My quip wasn't an attack on your apprehension as a new exerciser, it was more a 'Ah! No wonder you're finding swings easy!' (Not that they aren't hard to learn how to do even with a light 'bell).

Any condescension sensed was at those people that make these light weights, preying on new exerciser's lack of confidence. Almost every new exerciser is stronger than they realise, they just need a little confidence and a lot of practice.

Don't be nervous, you'll be fine. You'll outgrow your 12kg swings in no time, but you'll still be able to use it for presses or for a warm up before when your next 'bell comes.
    Congratulations on finding an exercise you enjoy. May your hands stay intact for many workouts.
  • ipinkpanther
    ipinkpanther Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey there AnnMarie,

I actually am using 15lbs, I have two of them, do push ups, lunges, figure 8 etc. -- I love em and find 15lb to be perfect for me. It is challenging and I can do 20-30 reps and feel my strength build up, at my own speed.

We seem to be kettleball twins -- keep up the great work and do what works for you :)
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I only own a 12 pound kettlebell and find it's a good weight for more difficult moves (ie one arm swing).... however, whenever the move is using two arms, I bump up the weight using dumbbells (because I haven't invested in more than 1 kettlebell yet). For example, I just bumped up to 20 pounds doing the full kettlebell swing. That was heavy enough. I use a 15 pound dumbbell to do halos or racks. You can switch up weights when doing a kettlebell workout - or alternatively, invest in an adjustable kettlebell so you can modify the weight depending on which move you're doing. Some moves warrant a lighter weight and vice versa. Good luck!
  • becksxxx70
    becksxxx70 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. As a 45 year old out of shape mom working out for the first time in years I felt the weight was a good fit to start for me. You'll be pleased to know my 12 kg real kettlebell is in the mail
    Hi, I just got a 12kg kettlebell this morning, as a complete beginner. What workouts have you been doing, can you point me anywhere? Glad to hear you really enjoy it.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your new kettlebell! I think you will be amazed at how strong you really are. You will definitely feel the swings with the heavier bell more challenging but with good form you should handle them just fine. I use a 25lb. kb for most everything these days. There are some things however that it is still too much... not that I didn't try it, so I use a 15lb. Not worth getting hurt over because "I think" that I "should" be using something heavier.
  • allisami
    allisami Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love kettle bell too and I would not discard the lighter one just yet. Have you ever tried to do a Turkish Gettup with a heavy bell? Hard to do.... at least for me. Waiters carry? again hard to do with a heavy bell at first. Keep those lighter bells and start working on more difficult routines or more intense routines. Also a way to switch it up some. I love the workout though!!