lean abdominal region, body fat %

Options
How low do I need to get my body fat percentage for abdominal region to look lean. My lean body mass is around 158 lbs and I have fluctuated between 176 - 190 since december. Even when I was 176 I was not satisfied with the look of my abs.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    vague question is vague
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What is body fat %?
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help:

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages#more-2650

Especially the two pictures of the men at the same body fat %.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Even at a lower body fat percentage, without weight work, I'd think you're not going to be satisfied with your look. you need to do some lifting to be happy with your overall look. Muscles tend to be more slack when not worked regularly, and don't pull the skin tight as you lose weight if you are just losing fat and not working the muscles with weight work. Heavy lifting is probably your best bet as you lose weight.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Chances are your calculation for lean body mass is way off.

What size waist in pants do you wear?
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Chances are your calculation for lean body mass is way off.

What size waist in pants do you wear?

I hope its not too far off, 158 lbs doesn't seem like a lot to me. My pants are 34 waist, 33 would fit better if I could ever find that size. 36 waist pants are WAY loose on me, can't even keep them up without a belt. But when I measure my waist around the belly button it measures 36 inches, it measured 35 inches when I was in the low 180s.

158 lbs. LBM is actually quite a bit. How tall are you and how long have you been lifting? Just as a point of reference, I am 6'1" and have around 150-152 lbs. LBM. I wear 32/33 pants. My abs start cleaning up around 175 but I need to get down in the high 160's before they really start to pop.

As another reference, here's a link showing a guy at 190 lbs. with 158 lbs. LBM and 17% BF. He's a pretty big dude....

http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-much-muscle-can-you-build-naturally/
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Like someone already said it depends on how much work you did on them (Or Lucky Genetics) to know if you'll ever be satisfied at all. If the mass isn't there you might just have the flat look and if thats not what you want, you'll have to go back up. If you know you have the muscle mass in them then you'll just need to get leaner than you thought.

I'm coming back down from a Bulk, I reckon I need to get back down to around 147 to be truly Lean, but they are coming through at about 158., But the main point is at 162 they FEEL right, under the fat the Mass is there, they feel much more than when I was lean before the Bulk, so I know when get back down to lean they are going pop. Think washboard flab lol
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If there were a height or picture at 176, this would be easier to answer.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a girl and my BF isn't all that low. 22-25%. I am not super lean but I can see definition. I think it's very dependent upon genetics.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a girl and my BF isn't all that low. 22-25%. I am not super lean but I can see definition. I think it's very dependent upon genetics.

I agree with this. Genetics plays a huge role.