Anyone taking or have taken Meloxicam?

Options
The Orthopedic doctor gave it to me for a knee injury. Works great, took away the pain and swelling. Also gained 1.4 pounds in 2 days. Read the side effects and unexplained weight gain is one of them. This is a short term Rx until I get the MRI and find out what is wrong with my knee.

I am looking for someone else that has taken it. I want to know if I stay on it for 30 days will I gain weight steadily? Will the gain taper off after a couple of days? Most importantly - Will I be able to loose weight?

My diary is open I did not eat anything so bad to gain this much weight. I think it is the med.

At this point I am going to stop the medicine and deal with the swelling and pain until the MRI. I worked so hard and don't want to back track.

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor before you discontinue. Voice your concerns to the medical professional that you hired to treat your pain/injury. They may have an explanation or recommendation. And for all we know, the Rx may aid in the MRI.

In clinical studies, less than 2% of people reported weight gain as a side effect*. Your 1.4 pounds in two days could be water weight. That could be too much salt last night. Congrats on your progress, don't fret over a very small and very likely temporary set back. If you are doing the right things, your weight loss should continue. Good luck, hope all turns out well.

P.s. I don't think your diary is open.

*http://www.ibuprofenhelp.info/mobic/
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i got a knee injury jogging and my doctor put me on it for a month. i adapted to it after a week and didnt gain. losing was super hard while i was on it!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It could also be just water weight. You can fluctuate 3-5 lbs a day. I would venture to say that it would more than likely need to be in your system longer than 2 days to really cause weight gain to be concerned with.

ETA: the meds would have to be in your system longer.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It's an NSAID anti-inflammatory. I've used them all :)

Weight gain was zero issue. Wanting to be on an anti-inflammatory for any extended period of time : (

I wouldn't worry about it short term. Meloxicam is a pretty powerful anti-inflammatory, but it has to be in your system a while. It works a bit diff than Ibuprofen or Naproxen. Talk to your doc. Get your MRI. Address the problem. Look at more holistic / natural anti-inflammatory options for longer term. That is how I roll. I had total knee replacement 3 years ago - so YA. I know knees and inflammation.

Good luck !
  • Straitlover1965
    Straitlover1965 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, I took it for 10 days for my tennis elbow. Gained 7 lbs that did not go away after I finished the prescription. It had taken me 4 months to lose 8 lbs (this was when my menopause was really kicking in), and I gained 7 of them back in 10 lousy days!!! Even worse was it didn't even help. I had to get a cortisone shot at my followup appt.

I won't be taking it again, I know that much.
  • littlelou374
    Options
    Hi, there. I took it for several months. My personal experience didn't include a weight gain issue, so I'm not sure if it's a listed side effect or not. At any rate, I agree with whomever said to call your doctor. There are so many different NSAIDs out there that I'm sure he/she could prescribe a different one that you are more comfortable with.

Hope you heal soon!
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    i got a knee injury jogging and my doctor put me on it for a month. i adapted to it after a week and didnt gain. losing was super hard while i was on it!

This I could possibly live with.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes, I took it for 10 days for my tennis elbow. Gained 7 lbs that did not go away after I finished the prescription. It had taken me 4 months to lose 8 lbs (this was when my menopause was really kicking in), and I gained 7 of them back in 10 lousy days!!! Even worse was it didn't even help. I had to get a cortisone shot at my followup appt.

I won't be taking it again, I know that much.

This is my biggest fear. It is really hard for me to loose weight