I need some help with my "diet"

Options
I was wondering if I can get any helpful ideas on changing my diet plan. I'm down 73ish pounds since I first started my journey, however I haven't lost anymore weight. I lost this weight by exercise alone. But now I'm at the plateau point and need some suggestions. To give you some insight on how I currently eat, I eat a lot of greasy food. Cheeseburgers, high sodium and A LOT of sweets! People have suggested to me to eat fruit, problem with that is I HATE most fruit with the exclusion of berries... But those are a little out of my price range. I can tolerate some vegetables, but I noticed that they are ones high in starch. I hate water unless it has lemon or something in it such as Crystal Light. Not much of a soda drinker but I do love sugary drinks, Kool-Aid and southern sweet tea! I don't eat a lot of chicken or white meats. I REFUSE to eat pork with the exclusion of bacon and sausages that end with the letter "i" I just hate the taste of pork. I feel like I'm going through withdrawals if I don't have something sweet everyday. Sweets are my "drug" of choice.. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my drug of choice as well. Lots of junk food. All I can say is that when I'm using MFP I REALLY don't want to log junk food and this helps me steer clear. I did have an ice cream cone the other day when I really really wanted it, but I got the kid size. Just so I could log the smallest amount I could on MFP. It's kind of an obsession. But as they say, if I can stop the junk probably anyone can because I'm terrible.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I would say moderate the portions of the foods you do eat. Set a calorie goal, weigh and log your food to create a calorie deficit.

What is your aversion to fruits and non-starchy veggies? Taste or texture? Have you tried different ways of preparing different foods? For instance, I find steamed cauliflower unappealing, but I enjoy it mashed or roasted.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You don't need to stop eating the foods you love, just less of it. First order of business should be to read these.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    At a certain point you won't be able to exercise off bad eating habits.. your at that point.. time to get serious with your eating habits and calorie counts.

I think you know what needs to be done.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    To a certain extent you have to decide what you want. To live healthier you must make healthier nutrition choices. I don't know of another way. I was the picky eater growing up. As an adult I started to eat vegetables because I knew I needed to. Not easy to shush the 6 year old inside of me that 'didn't like' foods based on how they looked. Trying things again, and in different ways, has helped. Such as baking broccoli, cauliflower, zuchini tossed w/ a little olive oil and seasonings.

I'm not big on plain water either, though I do use the low calorie flavor enhancements. Drinking some cherry-limeaide water right now actually.

For sweets, have you truly tried ALL fruit? Apple slices & blueberries with a little fat free or sugar free whipped topping can be a great dessert.

If you truly want to eat cheeseburgers and such - the results will be better if you make them rather than buy from fast food. You can at least drain away much of the fat/grease that way. And use lighter-option buns.

Ultimately I think it does boil down to making choices.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    At a certain point you won't be able to exercise off bad eating habits.. your at that point.. time to get serious with your eating habits and calorie counts.

^^Pretty much this. You need to eat healthier foods in healthier portions. OR at the very least eat what you like but at calorie deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This^

Let's say you choose not to change a single eating habit. As you become smaller.....so will the portion sizes. These small portion sizes + exercise will be required to maintain your "new" weight. Are you ready for a lifetime of small portion sizes?

You don't have to change everything......keeping weight off isn't about being perfect. Pick you battles. Personally, I will never give up chocolate. I do eat fast food occasionally. I grew up eating fruits & veggies.....so I'm lucky there. But there is a large variety of fruits & veggies.....and veggies can be cooked (or raw) so many ways.....I think if you really try....there will be some veggies you get used to. Veggies are low cal (high volume/high fiber)......really excellent to "stretch" daily calories & fill up a plate.

Plain water takes getting used to. Having something sweet (diet or otherwise) ALL the time is a bad habit for lots of people. I use a Brita water filter pitcher......I keep it in the fridge.....it's wonderful after exercise.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Start with small changes and each week or two set a new goal. If you try to do it all at once odds are you will backslide and have a hard time.

Start, like other suggested with reducing portions - take small fries/ burger or child size meals rather then large or regular size. You may be surprised how full you can still be because portion size are HUGE even for kids.

Find low cost grocer or cheaper places to buy fresh produce if thats the problem. I live in LA and we have a store called 99 Cents, where everything is 99 cents or less and they have TONS for fresh fruits and veggies - including berries and stores like Trader Joes also have great deals.

Try different things - eating rights is not just about eating "clean" or "healthy" but eating what works for you. For fruit alternatives try grapes ( they are REALLY sweet, especially the red seedless) or watermelon also sweet. As for veggies that is tricky and sometimes does require more work lol. I find that I eat more raw veggies (baby carrots, green peppers, radishes, etc) with a dip rather then a salad since I like that more. I also buy a lot of prepared veggies with flavors and sauces and heat them.

Good luck.
  • BigBeauti23
    BigBeauti23 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of fruit... and as far as non-starchy foods I just don't grab them first...
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    I believe it's all about portion control. Eat what you want, but stay within your guidelines. I also hate most vegetables, but I highly recommend trying them again if you haven't had them in awhile. Sometimes I am surprised by what I actually like when I try it again after a long time.

As far as your water goes, have you ever tried flavored carbonated water? Every grocery store I go to has their own brand as well as Target. Some flavors are better than others, but it can be easier to increase your water intake with something yummy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This ^^

And even if you manager to lose all the weight without changing your diet, a poor diet may still cause you health problems in the long run.
  • chemteacher1987
    chemteacher1987 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

QFT!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of fruit... and as far as non-starchy foods I just don't grab them first...

I want to make sure you're reading everyone's suggestions. You don't HAVE to change WHAT you're eating. Just HOW MUCH of it. If you like hamburgers and hate fruit, ok. Just make sure to eat less calories of hamburgers than you burn throughout your day thru your activities and exercise.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My question is, Are you really any healthier now than you were 73 lbs ago?
    From what you said, I'm going to have to really say, no.
    Stronger? yes. More endurance? yes.
    Can you still have those things you love? In moderation, yes.
    You CAN LEARN to like different foods. Your skin, hair, nails, sleep, energy, etc. can all improve IF YOU decide that's what YOU WANT.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    While you don't care for the taste of fruit and veggies, maybe you could slowly incorporate those foods into your diet more. The more/longer I eat healthy thing, the more I start to like them and crave them. If you really don't like them though, then it is time to get serious about portion control.
  • negrita1126
    Options
    There are small things you can do... fresh fruit may be hard on your wallet so maybe try frozen berries. You can always throw them in a blender with a little almond milk, freeze it and that can be an ice cream substitute. If you have the burger, don't eat the bun or eat half of the bun. I understand what you mean about water but adding the right kind of flavoring to water really helps. Personally, I have modified my portions and added lots of veggies to help make me feel full. Lastly, you have to plan... if you plan your meals, you can make more conscious decisions on what you eat... Hope some this helps.
  • Lindsayryk
    Lindsayryk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love a well seasoned turkey burger! Girl you can find substitutes for almost everything.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I agree to make small changes. You don't need to completely change your diet so that you're eating food you hate. What you need is a calorie deficit, and that's just a lot harder when you eat mostly calorie dense foods. To begin with, you've managed with your normal intake and exercise, but as you get lighter, you need to decrease your calorie intake to still see results. Eat the vegetables you already enjoy, just increase the amount you eat. You can try to expand your palate by gradually introducing new things and making yourself try them a few times to get used to them. It can be done - I used to be extremely picky but have learned to first tolerate, then enjoy new foods.

First things first though. Are you already logging your foods? Look at your diary and see where you can tweak things to shave off a few calories here and there. Have the same food, but smaller portions. Or, have the fried food you like every other day, and the days in between have something leaner, like grilled (broiled) chicken. Have sweets, but less of them. Smaller portions. I still eat chocolate every day and often have other things like cookies etc, but in much smaller quantities than I used to. And, I cut down gradually to allow myself time to get used to it.

You absolutely don't have to cut out everything you love, but as you're not making progress now, you will have to compromise somewhere. Focus on making cuts to things that aren't your favourites. Remember, you don't have to eat your favourite food every day to enjoy it - once or twice a week will do too. Or, if you currently have a lot of fried food for two meals of the day, have it for one meal and a salad for the other meal. Small changes will get you surprising places. Chances are, you'll find that your tastes gradually change so it doesn't seem so hard.
  • henrylorb
    Options
    I see on your profile that your tagline is "I'm not on a diet, I'm on a life changing commitment!" Are you changing your life if you're not stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things? To really change your life, you have to change habits that are ingrained in us. Being healthy is not just being skinny. Being healthy is watching what we put into our bodies. It's okay to have a cheeseburger every now and then, but it's not healthy to eat fat and grease every day. Try turkey burgers with sweet potato fries, for example -- make your cravings work to your advantage.

Sugar IS addictive (read more: http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction), and to break your addiction, you have to abstain for a second. Eat healthy sugars with fruits -- frozen fruit is still nutritious but may fit in your budget better than fresh. Then you can add in the more "unhealthy" sugars and make it fit your goals.

Speaking of, it sounds like you might do well on the "If It Fits Your Macros" lifestyle. Eat anything in moderation, as long as it is in your calorie, fat, carb, sugar, etc macros: http://iifym.com/.

Good luck! This is a hard journey, but there are a ton of people here to help!
  • JennSilva33
    Options
    I cheaper way to eating berries is to buy them frozen. I buy my store brand of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. In the morning I put half a cup into a baggie and take it to work with me. By the time lunch comes around they have thawed out. Night time is when I usually get my sweet tooth, so I will take a cup of mix berries (defrosted), two heaping spoonfulls of cool whip and sprinkle some sugar in the raw on top and have that as my dessert. It is a much healthier way to have dessert, plus it is pretty filling.