Diet Rite or Zevia? Trying to kick my Coke habit...

Options
I LOOOVE Coke and I'm pretty sure it's the main reason I have gained weight. :/ I know none of the diet varieties are "healthy" but at this point, i just need to kick the Coke habit until I eventually am able to switch to water. I tried flavored sparkling water and nope, didn't curb my Coke craving.

I cannot drink Diet Coke/Diet pepsi because I get migraines. So I want to try Diet Rite w/ Splenda and Zevia w/ Stevia. I'm looking for opinions on which tastes the most like regular Coke. I'm thinking I'll try to Diet Rite first since it' cheaper.

Opinions on the taste of either of these?

Replies

• ItsDickers
    Options
    I really like the Zevia Cola flavor. I haven't had much luck loving the other flavors though. You will need to adapt to the stevia taste, even if you already drink Diet Sodas. I equate that as getting used to the diet taste when moving from regular soda anyway.

It seems (based on articles I've read) stevia is supposed to be healthier for you as opposed to artificial sweetners, but I know people will say you should kick the soda habit altogether.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Stevia, but it has to taste better than aspartame right? Man, you would think they could make a diet Coke that tastes just like regular! LOL I wish!!
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Does Coke zero give you headaches too? Coke Zero tastes close to the real thing. I transitioned to coke zero, then sparkling water, and now I only drink water, tea, coffee, and beer and don't crave soda anymore.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda in coffee, Stevia in tea, and I drink any diet cola I want. It's not "good" for you, but not bad either. But each have their own tastes that require getting used to some degree or another. Just depends on you.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I love Coke too. Honestly, the best way to kick it is just that - kick it. Stop buying it. Don't even look at it. I went cold turkey with it. Terrible headaches the first 3 days, but then you forget about it :-) I enjoy not having to put in the extra 250 calories in my food diary for a 20 oz bottle of Coke. Will power!
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Does Coke zero give you headaches too? Coke Zero tastes close to the real thing. I transitioned to coke zero, then sparkling water, and now I only drink water, tea, coffee, and beer and don't crave soda anymore.

Yeah, it has aspartame. :(
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I just drink Coke, so I can't be of much help to you.

But you didn't gain weight from drinking Coke alone, you gained weight from eating/drinking too many calories, for too long a time.

Good luck with finding a replacement.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yeah, it has aspartame. :(

What about Pepsi real??? or just fit coke in...
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Love the Zevia all flavors! My kids even drink them! You have to get used to the stevia after taste, but for someone like me who should not have much sugar, it's perfect!

I use the flavored stevia in my coffee too! The dark chocolate and vanilla cream are awesome! lol

Good luck to you on cutting out the pop! You can do it!

:wink: :flowerforyou:
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    Deleted.
  • armydreamers
    Options
    Love the Zevia all flavors! My kids even drink them! You have to get used to the stevia after taste, but for someone like me who should not have much sugar, it's perfect!

I use the flavored stevia in my coffee too! The dark chocolate and vanilla cream are awesome! lol

Good luck to you on cutting out the pop! You can do it!

:wink: :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I guess I will just try it and see. I know it's not worth it to be drinking all this Coke because I can almost FEEL it making my belly bloat! LOL Yet, I can't quit it! Love it! Ugh. :/
  • armydreamers
    Options
    How about Hansen's Diet soda? Anyone tried that?
  • mlm5537
    mlm5537 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your headaches are from the aspartame and not a lack of sugar/caffeine??

I was also addicted to Coke and gave it up a few months ago. In order to kick the cravings I ended up giving up all caffeine including coffee and tea. Sometimes if I am still craving a Coke, I get a can of diet a&w rootbeer. Its enough to trick my brain into thinking it is satisfied without compromising my diet.

I tried the flavored sparkling waters but it just isn't the same. It is probably easiest to cut extra drinks all together and slowly re-introduce something like the Zevia if you get bored with water.