Does anyone else get hooted at while running?

Options

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've been honked at a few times, but mostly people wave. I did get an SUV full of teenage boys that passed me this weekend...one of them was hanging his entire upper body out of the window and yelling at me while they flew by. No idea what he said, but his body language wasn't very nice. Whatever!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No, but I do like to go to Hooters and enjoy a giant pork tenderloin.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

That's what you go there to enjoy?

Suuuuuure.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Most people ignore runners, a few people catcall runners, some people call out nice things to them. the best thing is just to wear headphones and ignore everyone. It will help give your run better cadence to listen to a good running mix and help you focus on your run rather than things going on around you.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Most people ignore runners, a few people catcall runners, some people call out nice things to them. the best thing is just to wear headphones and ignore everyone. It will help give your run better cadence to listen to a good running mix and help you focus on your run rather than things going on around you.

I wear headphones too but keep the music very low so that I can continue to focus on what is going on around me.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. I've heard everything from "fatty" to "sexy" to "love dat a** girl", "look at dem abs baby" I stopped listening/remembering comments a few years ago. I dress in basically nothing when I run during the summer. It only gets creepy when I'm alone and they circle around again the scream more. Once, I was circled 3-4 times and I was really nervous. Meh, I guess I live life on the edge hahaha... No but really it's normal. People are immature.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm in lala land when I run, so I have no idea. Plus I have music on.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When I run with my shirt off I mainly just have little kids at the park run away screaming "Run! It's a Yeti!!!"
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    All the time..then I show them my nipples
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Suuuuuure.

Have you ever had their giant tenderloin?

mc5gzd.jpg
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Don't worry about it, you will always get some moron kids that think its fun to verbally abuse people out car windows as they pass. When I walk the dogs its near a high school, so there is a higher percent of bored moron kids. The most common thing I've had is them trying to bark/make dog sounds or honk to startle the dogs, I'm not sure how honking is possibly amusing though. I'm also not a little guy, so you will get jerk kids no matter who you are. Once around Halloween they threw an egg at me which miraculously hit part of my thick down jacket hanging off me, fell in the grass not the sidewalk and didn't break, so I picked up the egg and I also took off running after the car with my dogs, seeing they had a red light up ahead. It turned green before I got there, the passenger screamed and they peeled out, damn. :)
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Aw I feel sad.. I never get any attention *CRY* But I have my headphones in and my music loud so **** the world.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It happens once a week... I can't understand anything half of the time and it makes me jump each time... I swear some day I'll fall! People are stupid!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Suuuuuure.

Have you ever had their giant tenderloin?

mc5gzd.jpg

The photo is a good argument. It does look rather tasty.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet gotten hooted at while running, but when on my bike, I get all kinds of crap. I've been yelled at, honked at, and gestured rudely at. A less personal but still disgusting thing that happens on the jerk-ridden state highway that provides the best bike riding where I am, is that people in loud, souped-up trucks or cars will speed up violently and loudly when they go by.

This is why I have hardly biked since I moved here. Last summer there were many more cyclists on the roads around here than ever before, so I'm hoping that the jerks will at least be more used to cyclists this season. I'm not letting them stop me from riding anymore!

The only thing that's happened to me so far while running was really nice-- someone passed me and their arm was sticking out of their car window and they were giving me a thumbs-up and pumping their arm up and down. I guess it was another outdoor winter exercise enthusiast!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm in NY... we're all miserable and not very friendly, so I never hear much when I run. The occasional motorist will honk at me, but that's it. Sometimes people will smile at my very cute dogs that I run with, but other than that, tend to leave me alone. Just the way I like it!
  • MrsPrior
    MrsPrior Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not so much whilst running as there are so many other runners out at the same time/place I just blend in, but when on my bike (I cycle 12 miles a day) I get lots of wolf-whistles, honks and things shouted at me - given that I'm not a "hottie" and I don't look that good in Lycra, I have to assume most of these are meant to be derogatory and insulting, but I've got used to them now.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I get starred at, waved at, talked to (even by freaking 16 year old boys...), honked at... HATE CALIFORNIA.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I walk. Where I live now, it has never happened. However, where I used to live this sort of thing happened several times. Once it was so bad it triggered a binge eating period and I didn't walk again in my neighborhood for a long time. (Someone thought I was a hooker and chased me down, wouldn't leave me alone. It was scary. I was wearing normal clothes and make-up, and I was on a street that is common to see joggers and walkers, so I don't know why he thought I was a hooker.) There were also honks and cat-calls sometimes which bothered me a little, but mostly I could ignore them.

A few weeks ago I was walking a friend's dog in a slightly different neighborhood than mine and some fool yelled at me out of his car window. I won't repeat it, but believe me it was extremely offensive, although nonsensical.

Fortunately I have better emotional health these days, so when things like this happen it doesn't send me on a bender the way it used to.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I wear my headphones to drown the ladies out, but I often find it difficult to run when they fling their unmentionables at me.
    Oops, sorry bout that. We didn't mean to trip you.