P90X help needed!

Options
If anyone has completed P90X I would appreciate any advice or help you can provide!

I am at the very end of week 5. I have never missed a single day of p90x yet. But I am struggling at this point with needing rest, particularly for my legs. With Plyo on Tuesday, Yoga on Thursday, and Legs day yesterday, it feels like my legs never get enough rest. They never stop hurting, even with the normal single rest day each week.

Today is supposed to be KenpoX, but honestly, my legs are blown. I need an extra rest day this week. This is not me complaining because I am bit sore. I spent the last 20 years competing in full contact kickboxing. I can deal with pain. This is not just pain, this is never fully recovering in the last 5 weeks.

Is this OK, according to the P90X plan? Will skipping one day screw me up? I am willing to push through and do it today, if it is necessary to get the full benefits of the program.

I am 41 and weigh 263 lbs. I have had 3 knee surgeries on my right leg over the past 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide!

Replies

• scoronado3
    Options
    It's ok to skip a day if your body isn't feeling good. What is your diet like? That can make you feel drained and not perform so will especially with plyo and any of the other cardio workouts. Are you modifying or using weights? Don't push yourself. Hope this help. Add me as a friend and I would love to keep helping you.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm a little older than you but I put soreness into 2 categories. If it is achy joints then rest day(s) are required. If it is muscle soreness then use your best judgement. Since this isn't beginner's soreness I think your legs are begging for rest days. It will not hurt but in fact may help. Give them a chance to repair themselves. People and programs way underestimate the value of rest days.
  • larsfromars
    larsfromars Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, and have did multlply rounds of p90x in the last few years. I found 90 minutes of Yoga to be excessive. Once I completed P90x2, I substituted its's 60 minute Yoga workout in my rounds of P90x. With this change I felt fresher, and really started to enjoy
    Yoga.
    So you might give some thought to finding a cheap, good rated, Yoga disc on Amazon with an hour workout...and use it
    instead. Just a thought.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just take an extra rest day, it wont do you any harm...
  • kbutler6
    kbutler6 Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you tried doubling the stretching time, and do a few squats or lunges on Monday and Wednesday?
    I feel like all those squats and lunges on one day a week is not right. Spreading it out over the week makes sense to me.
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's ok to skip a day if your body isn't feeling good. What is your diet like? That can make you feel drained and not perform so will especially with plyo and any of the other cardio workouts.

I have completed a few rounds of P90X and on my second P90X3 round. I have found out that if I dont fuel up with some carbs before I workout, like 1.5-2 hrs. before. I tank it. We put so much effort to achieve our goals, I just changed up what and when I eat my carbs and have found this to help. Add me if you would like.
  • tiffanylindenmuth
    tiffanylindenmuth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. You do not want to hurt yourself. I do P90x and I run 3 miles 4 days a week so I understand completely. I don't skip my workouts. I push through and sometimes at a lower intensity so I can manage. BUT one time we had no time in the day between work, dinner, soccer practices (have 3 kids 10, 7, 6), and movie night with the kiddos. By the time we were going to start the 90 minute Yoga it was 10pm. We both wake up really early for work (5am) and this did not seem like a good idea, so we just pushed it back a day. That made that Friday our rest day. Then when it came to our normal rest day (Monday) we were doing the last workout of that week instead and then we just started the next workout week on Tuesday. If you have to move your rest day then do it for that week. If that doesn't seem to be enough then maybe have a week with two rest days and try to skip one of the easier workouts like Kenpo or cardio. I hope you feel better! Hang in there.
  • chmtastic
    chmtastic Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day!

I've done P90X and agree that the yoga is a little long. I still like to do yoga on Sundays and I do it for an hour. I am now doing the 21 Day Fix and there is a yoga workout that is 30 min. And just like someone posted, in each p90x, the yoga time has decreased!

Give your legs a break and get back to things tomorrow :smile:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    sounds more like chronic injury. take more rest is an option.

modifying moves so they cause less pain and allow you to continue to work out might be a better option and perhaps improve the state of the chronic injury to the point where you won't have to modify anymore.

also consider therapy?
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    I never could get thru the p90x 90 minute yoga....so I purchased Tony's One on One "Fountain of Youth" Yoga. Its about 43 minutes. Love that one, and its doable mentally :)