Marathon Running

Options
I was just asked to run the Marine Corp Marathon in Oct 2011 by some work folk!!

Keep in mind I have NEVER ran a marathon before so 26 miles???

OMG!!!! Where are all my marathon runners? I need to start training NOW!

Replies

• WendyTricia
    Options
    I've never ran a marathon before, but I want to start training for the Chicago Marathon - it's in OCtober 2011 as well. Three years ago I tried to train, but my shin splints stopped me dead in my tracks. (No pun intended). But I want to try again, I was a lot heavier then, so that had a lot to do with it.

Would love tips and support. Also would like to see how you're progressing Tameka!
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    And what was your reply? You can do this. And yes you'd better start training now. It'll be tough but what an accomplishment it will be.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm ---> Marathon training

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm ----> Half marathon training that can help you get started.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i just ran my first half marathon in october. keep in mind i only started running in the early part of june! I started running outdoors as soon as possible. I did have to go to the gym because of daycare issues. I'd say make sure to train in the environment you will be running. I ran alot on flat surfaces so the hills and the bridge we had to cross was horrible! the runners world website has you plug in everything you want to do. then it gives you a schedule to follow to work on endurance and time. it really helped. plus, just being around all those people gave me the support i needed. my only goal was to run the whole thing and i did. my time was 2 hours and 30 min. not good but not bad, especially for my first time.

im doing another one in march. and i want to do the full new york marathon in a year or two.

also look into how to eat. i barley eat meat and i have a blood disease so i had to be careful. after the marathon i pretty much slept for 2 days straight!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    It will be such an awesome experience! I ran Chicago in 2006, and I plan to run Green Bay in May. What are you currently running? I used Hal Higdon's program the first time and I believe the long runs started at 6 miles. The whole program was 18 weeks long so your "official" training (with almost any program) would start in June. But if you can take until then to get yourself comfortably running 6-8 miles, you will be in a good place to start. And your goal should be just to finish--no matter how much you run now!

Keep us informed, and feel free to friend me if you want support or have questions!
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've never ran a marathon before, but I want to start training for the Chicago Marathon - it's in OCtober 2011 as well. Three years ago I tried to train, but my shin splints stopped me dead in my tracks. (No pun intended). But I want to try again, I was a lot heavier then, so that had a lot to do with it.

Would love tips and support. Also would like to see how you're progressing Tameka!

awesome!! we can keep it each other "in the know"!! I am going to start researching things on how to train PLEASE send me everything u learned so far. I would be oh so grateful!!

So we'll be good to go by Oct!!!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    And what was your reply? You can do this. And yes you'd better start training now. It'll be tough but what an accomplishment it will be.

Hi BJ!! THanks!! You know I said "SURE"! Love the challenge!!! Ok, I have to get my study on now on how to train for a marathon!!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm ---> Marathon training

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm ----> Half marathon training that can help you get started.

thanks Meg!!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    i just ran my first half marathon in october. keep in mind i only started running in the early part of june! I started running outdoors as soon as possible. I did have to go to the gym because of daycare issues. I'd say make sure to train in the environment you will be running. I ran alot on flat surfaces so the hills and the bridge we had to cross was horrible! the runners world website has you plug in everything you want to do. then it gives you a schedule to follow to work on endurance and time. it really helped. plus, just being around all those people gave me the support i needed. my only goal was to run the whole thing and i did. my time was 2 hours and 30 min. not good but not bad, especially for my first time.

im doing another one in march. and i want to do the full new york marathon in a year or two.

also look into how to eat. i barley eat meat and i have a blood disease so i had to be careful. after the marathon i pretty much slept for 2 days straight!

good info! yeah i heard i need to start running outside! And i am a gym junkie!!! So i have to adjust myself accordingly. Will lifting weights be bad, because i am a weight lifting junkie as well????
  • tameka1220
    Options
    It will be such an awesome experience! I ran Chicago in 2006, and I plan to run Green Bay in May. What are you currently running? I used Hal Higdon's program the first time and I believe the long runs started at 6 miles. The whole program was 18 weeks long so your "official" training (with almost any program) would start in June. But if you can take until then to get yourself comfortably running 6-8 miles, you will be in a good place to start. And your goal should be just to finish--no matter how much you run now!

Keep us informed, and feel free to friend me if you want support or have questions!

Ok thanks. you've eased my anxiety. so june is the "official" good time to start training? But yes I will def try to increase my endurance now!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I had never ran in my life - I started running in March of 2010 and ran a marathon in October 2010. You can do this. Start now, take it slow and be consistent. I read everything I could read on marathon training plans and running. Education was the key to success and confidence.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the run/walk methods made popular by running guru Jeff Galloway, he has some training plans available for free on his website. A lot of statistical evidence has been compiled that proves most recreational runners will actually run a faster race by using a run/walk strategy (i.e. run 5 min, walk 1min, repeat). If you plan to use this strategy, you will want to purchase a sports watch with "interval timer" function so that your watch will beep at designated intervals to signal the start/end of your walk breaks

Personally I don't use the exact run/walk ratios that Galloway's website posts, however they are a good starting point if you are a new runner & you can adjust them if necessary to suit your needs. For example, I average an 11-min per mile pace on a "long run". Per Galloway method I should use 2:30 min to run, then 1min to walk, repeat. For me, this is a bit too frequent to walk so I usually use a 5 min run, then 1 min walk. But, if I am having a bad day and very tired, I might change to a 4/1 or even a 3/1 ratio.

Probably the most important factor in marathon training: REST. If your training plan calls for a rest day, TAKE IT. Most running injuries are caused by training too hard!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Also should add - cross train and Stretch!! I didn't do enough stretching and ended up with a muscle imbalance in my legs giving me knee issues which have taken months to resolve. Best of Luck.
  • powel1ms
    Options
    Hi all! I ran my first marathon in May of this year and will run my second in April 2011. Prior to the marathon I ran 3 halfs and numerous 5 and 10ks. I followed Hal Higdon's beginner plan and loved it. I would recommend having a solid base (10-20 miles per week) for at least 6 months prior to starting a training plan to avoid injury. As others have stated, it is important to stretch, cross train and take your scheduled rest days. Also, make sure you have proper shoes prior to starting any running program. I started running in old shoes that I had "fitted" myself for and had shin, knee and foot pain. I went to a local running store to be properly fitted and those issues disappeared!

Best of luck to you and feel free to hit me up if you have any questions I might be able to answer.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    I have never run more than 10K Tameka but have registered for my first half-marathon in May.