Activity level & standing work desk

Options
Hi all. I'm new to MFP and just getting back into dieting and working out again. I have a question about activity levels. Right now I have MFP set to sedentary because I wear a heart rate monitor when I work out (Polar FT40) and log my exercise calories separately (I do kickboxing 4 days a week and I've been trying to lift 2x a week), but I'm wondering if I should change this. I have a standing desk at work so I stand for a good portion of the day while I work, which technically helps to burn more calories throughout the day. I also have a 15 min walk to and from the train station every day, and I have a dog that I walk for another 15 minutes or so at night. So I'm not truly sedentary. On my days off I'm usually running errands, working out, etc so I'm not sitting around all day. If I'm logging my exercise calories separately, should I keep my activity level at sedentary or should I change to lightly active? I only have about 15 lbs. to lose and right now my net calorie goal is 1,200 so I want to make sure I'm not under eating to hinder weight loss.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Change your activity level OR eat all your exercise calories. And perhaps set a goal for no more than a 1 pound per week loss rate.
  • lcknyc11
    lcknyc11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am eating back all of my exercise calories and I'm currently set up to lose 1lb/week. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing anything up with my net calories with having my activity level set as sedentary.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd probably change your activity level to lightly active since you're on your feet all day and doing some other activities that aren't technically loggable exercise but contribute to extra calorie burn. Sedentary assumes you're sitting the majority of the day and that definitely doesn't sound like how it goes for you.

You could also change your weekly weight loss goal to 1/2 a pound per week which would be a bit more reasonable given the amount of weight you have to lose.

Good luck!
  • lcknyc11
    lcknyc11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!