Am I doing too much?

Options
I am re-starting NROL tomorrow and I started C25K today. (I did the first day of both last week then got sick so I am starting over today) I am quite out of shape. For the first 4 weeks I plan on doing C25K on Mon, Wed and Fri and do NROL Tues and Thurs. I am starting with the "break in" for NROL so it is only 2 days a week for the first 4 weeks. After that I will probably alternate so I am doing NROL Mon, Wed, Fri and C25K Tues, Thurs and Sat. Do you think that I am trying to do too much at once or is splitting weight training and cardio days like this a good way to go for both fat loss and muscle gain.
Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have myself done the new rules of lifting for women and personally I think it's easier just to do the regular sEt 3 day split or the regular 2 day split. I wouldn't recommend trying to add anything else on to it because when you do it's going to cause your muscles to not want to work correctly, and challenging your muscles too much while starting a new program can actually cause you to do more damage than good so its up to you but I would say not to.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no idea what the code letters and numbers mean
  • bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no idea what the code letters and numbers mean

NROL - New Rules of Lifting
    C25K - Couch to 5k
  • RunMonkeyMama
    Options
    So, basically, you're planning to run MWF and lift T/Th? That seems pretty reasonable, as long as you listen to your body, and stop if anything hurts (not is hard, but actually *hurts*).
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I have been doing both for awhile now..
    I lift before I do cardio. You can most definitely split it up and lift on days you are not doing cardio.

Just be sure to incorporate a rest day from time to time.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    That's a similar schedule to the one I keep. I lift Mon, Wed, Fri, and run on Tues, Thurs, Sat.

It took me 2 years to work up to that level, though I may just be a pansy. While it may be physically possible, I'd just be careful not to burn yourself out by doing too much too fast.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as over-training; only under-recovering. So, if you are eating enough and getting enough rest to recover from your training sessions then you'll be just fine.
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking of doing the same thing. just doing C25K slower than the plan is laid out. resting every 2 days. good luck!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    See here's the thing - when you start a new exercise program or eating plan you want it to be sustainable. From a standing start you are planning on working out five days a week. Look down the road four weeks and try and see what will happen. willl you be too tired to do one or the other work out? Will you begin to skip work outs and if so will you beat yourself up over it?

Best to choose one or the other, make it a habit for a couple of months and then add the second one in.

As an aside, I started NROL earlier this year and I have one set of the "B" exercises left in the first fat burning segment. Before I started I was running twice a week, lifting dumbells twice and yoga twice. I have found NROL to be so demanding that I'm only just adding back running once a week a couple of weeks ago and I did yoga for the first time in two months this am.