Is it really possible to get enough Protein??

Options
Seriously, I've been trying to eat enough protein to meat my daily goal, but I'm just even sure how to reach it. I discovered a pretty high protein breakfast that I like this morning but then realized my macros were still messed up and I should really be aiming for 115-120 grams. I'm just not sure if that's even possible without some kind of protein shake/supplement. I would prefer to avoid those. Any suggestions for high protein meals, that don't kill all the other areas of my macros??

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    grilled fish, chicken, turkey, lean beef, grilled seafood, protein powders (less than 75% protein and you "waste" a lot of calories).

I eat a high protein diet while also being conscious about overall nutrition. You're welcome to browse my dairy (I'd suggest weekdays, I'm a little lax on what I eat on weekends).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat some kind of meat, poultry, fish, etc at pretty much every meal as well as eat greek yogurt pretty much daily. I do supplement with whey but my protein goal is around 145 grams...without the whey I'm usually right around 115 grams which is still right around 0.8 grams per Lb of my LBM so as long as I'm above that I don't sweat it too much...I tend to be closer to 145 on lifting days and more in the 120 neighborhood on non-lifting days.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Seafood - shellfish in particular - is very protein per calorie efficient.

Whip up a batch of scallops; crack some crab; throw some shrimp on the barbie. Stir fry fish some with some scrambled egg or egg whites for even more.
  • _John_
    Options

Whip up a batch of scallops; crack some crab; throw some shrimp on the barbie. Stir fry fish some with some scrambled egg or egg whites for even more.

yeah, lolpoors who can't afford to get all their protein from fresh seafood...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what's "enough"?? Not everyone's goals are the same.

For me- I'm shooting for at least 40 %- most of the time I'm a bit low- but I'm aiming for 150- and it's rare I don't hit at least 100.

All of these frequent my regular food shopping cart and I do just fine.
    greek yogurt
    eggs
    eggs
    bacon
    steak
    chicken
    milk
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

You don't need to get *all* from seafood but it is a really calorie -efficient way to help meet protein goals.

And it doesn't need to be fresh and break the bank -- I get frozen fillets, frozen jumbo shrimp, canned tuna of course, etc. all the time. Of course, fresh scallops and crab are pretty freakin' awesome if you can afford it . . .
  • _John_
    Options

You don't need to get *all* from seafood but it is a really calorie -efficient way to help meet protein goals.

And it doesn't need to be fresh and break the bank -- I get frozen fillets, frozen jumbo shrimp, canned tuna of course, etc. all the time. Of course, fresh scallops and crab are pretty freakin' awesome if you can afford it . . .

I love scallops and lobster...I was just messing. I pop a can of salmon as often as my wife won't kill me for the smell...
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    These are great suggestions, thanks. I just noticed going through my pantry that canned tuna is 15g of protein per can..yikes!! I love me some seafood too!
  • Nyrissa
    Nyrissa Posts: 40
    Options
    I was just about to post about this!
    My goal is only at 70 grams right now, that's what MFP set it at, but I usually only get somewhere between 20-50 grams. ><

Seafood seems to be the popular opinion in this thread, but I'm allergic. Also for milk products, and (some) nuts.
    Allergies seem to be my downfall.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Dammit, y'all, now I want a giant platter of baked scallops!!
    These are great suggestions, thanks. I just noticed going through my pantry that canned tuna is 15g of protein per can..yikes!! I love me some seafood too!
    You might want to look again unless it's a tiny can. Usually they have about 13-15 grams for 2 oz. drained. There's usually about 2-2.5 servings in the cans I have at home.

You're welcome to creep my diary (look back in late summer/early fall of last year for when I was being strict with my diet). And you will see plenty of protein supplements, but to reach 115-120 grams, you wouldn't need to add those in. I just have a much much higher target, and so I choose to use them.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I was just about to post about this!
    My goal is only at 70 grams right now, that's what MFP set it at, but I usually only get somewhere between 20-50 grams. ><

Seafood seems to be the popular opinion in this thread, but I'm allergic. Also for milk products, and (some) nuts.
    Allergies seem to be my downfall.
    OK, so maybe try eggs and meat.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I was mostly vegetarian so far this year until I noticed that I was never getting enough protein, and I eat dairy and beans. So I reintroduced meat into one meal per day and I have no problem hitting the protein macro now.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, a handful of almonds (or any of your favorite nuts), nut butters, beans/lentils and fat free Greek yogurt are quick and easy ways to add protein to your daily totals.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Just have a nice rare ribeye or flatiron steak. With sauteed mushrooms. Or roast or fried chicken, lamb kebabs, pulled pork, roast duck with rosemary, ... one should not have to drink protein shakes ( ugh!) when there is so much delicious meat available.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Just a question-- why would you prefer to avoid a protein supplement? Are you similarly against multivitamins?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

It's probably more than that...that's probably just the serving...a can is usually a couple of servings at least.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I love tuna, great source of protein. I get the 5oz cans, which is about 33g of protein! Most of the best sources of protein have already been touched on by other people here. Feel free to friend me and check out my diary. I log daily and I eat about 190g of protein a day.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

It's probably more than that...that's probably just the serving...a can is usually a couple of servings at least.
    Jinx. :tongue:
    Hard boiled eggs, a handful of almonds (or any of your favorite nuts), nut butters, beans/lentils and fat free Greek yogurt are quick and easy ways to add protein to your daily totals.
    Well, nuts & nut butters are definitely more of a fat source, and legumes/pulses are more of a carb source.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like shakes with cottage cheese, greek yogurt, egg whites, fruit. Lots of protein. I do use a protein supplement most days but that's only accountable for 25 grams of the protein I get in a day. Meat is your friend.
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For a non-meat option, seitan is an amazing source of protein. Really easy to cook too.