recipe calculator

Options
camille45
camille45 Posts: 106 Member
im having trouble with the recipe calculator feature, not sure if im inputting the info right. For instance when listing ingredients, how do you know which ingredient from the database is accurate? And how do you list the ingredients, if they are not listed right then the calories per serving wont come our right..correct?

Replies

• atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    hi camille...i use the ingredient database a couple of different ways...

if the ingredient is prepackaged with nutritional data then i compare and add
    if it's not then i look for the ingredients with the most confirmations and make sure the qty is correct (think 1 cup or 1 tablespoon) and hope for the best.

i don't think it matters the order of the ingredients and you determine how many servings your recipe is to feed.
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    that helps! thanks adw5215
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    hi camille...i use the ingredient database a couple of different ways...

if the ingredient is prepackaged with nutritional data then i compare and add
    if it's not then i look for the ingredients with the most confirmations and make sure the qty is correct (think 1 cup or 1 tablespoon) and hope for the best.

i don't think it matters the order of the ingredients and you determine how many servings your recipe is to feed.

I agree with this answer. Sometimes I select multipal choices ofor the same ingrediant and take the average. For example.. the tortilla for my breakfest burrito was not list in the database. so iIpicked 3 different 6" tortillas and picked the one in the middle.

Good luck!
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    u can see the nutr values of foods before you click add, it also will ask u if this is correct, if not if gives you the option to change what is not correct. also if you dont see your food, u can easily add it to the database. i personally make sure my selections r correct otherwards i am cheating or lying to myself.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    im having trouble with the recipe calculator feature, not sure if im inputting the info right. For instance when listing ingredients, how do you know which ingredient from the database is accurate? And how do you list the ingredients, if they are not listed right then the calories per serving wont come our right..correct?
    I use Spark recipes ( it is free) to calculate then enter here....this site (MFP) is motivational and has inspiring people.
  • tmgaytan
    Options
    My husband and I were trying to figure out how to calculator homemade dishes. I did a quick search for a recipe calculator and came across a recipe calculator at sparks people (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp). You can enter in the total ingredients from a recipe for the whole dish and then break it down to ONE serving!! LOVE it!! :) I really like accuracy and love that I can see how much is in a dish.

We're having apple-pecan pork chops tonight for dinner with brown rice and sweet yellow corn. The apple-pecan pork chops is about 6 pts for the Points System, but I wasn't for sure how many calories/fat, etc. was in the dish until using the calculator.

Oh! And what I do is take the nutrition facts from the recipe calculator from sparks people and input it to My Food here at MFP.

Hope this helps!

Tina
  • ensenada39
    Options
    I am having trouble login in to this application