Pls help me explain why a net cal ttl of 500 is bad

Options
2»

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hey redjenn,
    This is probably not going to help but I am very similar. I gained 70 pounds during my last pregnancy. He is 2 and I am still ~25 pounds up. "Dieting" has not helped me in my 2 years. I've shifted my focus. I am lifting heavy weights (stronglifts). I lost 2 inches in my belly the first month. My body is changing slowly but my weight is staying about the same. I am eating my tdee -15-20% and going more for consistancy. I may have to go down a little to lose but I am not willing to starve to get there. I'm short but 1200 calories is not enough for me and i can do 2 weeks before binging for a whole week.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    hey all, I'm the friend! Here is a little explination of whats going on.

I have been lifting for years. When I got pregnant I was 170 pounds, with a body fat percentage of 26-27%. I was in great shape but have always had to limit my calorie intake to about 1200 calories to lose weight. I was able to maintain my weight on about 1800 calories a day. I was very happy with my body, but very unhappy with what it took to maintain my body. I realize this was flawed thinking because as soon as I increased my caloric intake when I became pregnant my weight went through the roof. When I delivered my baby I was 268 pounds. (yes, I gained 98 lbs)

So now, I have lost some of the baby weight but am still about 226 and am completely stuck. I lost the first part of the weight the same way I always have. Very low calories. I have definitely lost more fat than muslce, but my body is just refusing to lose weight now. My fear of eating more calories is really just that I will put on more weight. I am afraid that my "weight loser" is broken. I am not sure how to increase my metabolism so that my body responds normally to the proper amount of calories.

Has anyone ever screwed up their metabolism on very low calorie diets and recovered from it?

I would recommend that you use a TDEE calculator and figure out your total calorie needs for the amount of activity you are doing. Take a 20% cut from TDEE. The TDEE - 20% shouldn't be much more than what you figure your maintenance was before.

Take pictures and measurements monthly. If there is no change in 2 months, then reevaluate.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Okay so I think you're in need of some support for helping repair a damaged metabolism :/
    I sent you an invite to the eat more to weigh less group.
    You may want to consider upping your calories gradually and it may take awhile.
    There is lots of good info in that group so I would start with reading the stickies
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Hey redjenn,
    This is probably not going to help but I am very similar. I gained 70 pounds during my last pregnancy. He is 2 and I am still ~25 pounds up. "Dieting" has not helped me in my 2 years. I've shifted my focus. I am lifting heavy weights (stronglifts). I lost 2 inches in my belly the first month. My body is changing slowly but my weight is staying about the same. I am eating my tdee -15-20% and going more for consistancy. I may have to go down a little to lose but I am not willing to starve to get there. I'm short but 1200 calories is not enough for me and i can do 2 weeks before binging for a whole week.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

I'm going to add you too!
  • redjenn007
    redjenn007 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you!