Stupid question...rant...ugh

So, I did not weigh this morning bc I didn't have time. However, I weighed this afternoon and I was up 6 lbs from last weeks weigh in! I did drink 80 oz of water over the past couple of hours and that equals 5 lbs, but I have peed some! Gosh, is there anyway that is all water weight?!? I had a saltier than usual diet and started yesterday. I just felt so discouraged! Ugh!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    yeah - I never weigh in the afternoon unless I want to be full of rage. Water, food you ate, several things I suppose add on those extra pounds during the day...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Food, clothing, fluids, etc...will all show up on the scale

if you normally weigh in: naked, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom
    then weighing: after you have eaten, drank, and are dressed is not going to provide a good number for comparison.

Weight fluctuates throughout the day. Numerous factors will affect it. That is why it is recommended to weigh yourself under the same conditions.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    yah don't weigh in the afternoon...

Pick a day and a time and stick to it...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    yeah - I never weigh in the afternoon unless I want to be full of rage. Water, food you ate, several things I suppose add on those extra pounds during the day...

This for sure...I always weigh in the morning as soon as I get up...just wait and watch your sodium for a couple days (since you said you were high on it, hard to say without viewing your diary) and weigh mid week. I stalled for a couple weeks and was up on my sodium quite a few of those days. I made sure I watched the sodium intake for a couple days and dropped a couple pounds.
  • DEPick
    DEPick Posts: 70 Member
    afternoon weigh-ins are like hitting your funny bone. not funny
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    yeah - I never weigh in the afternoon unless I want to be full of rage.

This times a billion. :laugh:
  • Lori0534
    Lori0534 Posts: 208 Member
    I haven't eaten yet today... Only had coffee and water... Haven't had time until now and I want to punch myself! So, would my drinks for the day still be at fault for 6 more lbs?!? I took my measurements and they are still down...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Your bodyweight can fluctuate a lot over the course of a day due to water retention. Really not worth worrying about unless in addition to that 80oz of water you ate 21,000 calories.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    What's the big deal with weighing today? If you miss the morning, don't bother. Weigh tomorrow morning.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    I haven't eaten yet today... Only had coffee and water... Haven't had time until now and I want to punch myself! So, would my drinks for the day still be at fault for 6 more lbs?!? I took my measurements and they are still down...

Really, just ignore what the scale said and either weigh again in the morning or wait until next week. The body naturally fluctuates in weight over the day and worrying about this gain is pointless. Seriously, stay as consistent as you can and skip a day if you can't get it in the morning. Measurements are down and that is all that matters.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    I only ever weigh first thing in the morning right after going to the bathroom. Sometimes I weigh myself in the afternoon just to see how much my weight really fluctuates, & it's a lot. Next time you weigh in the morning as usual, weight again at like 6pm that day & see how different it is - then it will be less frustrating for you, I think. For me, just recognizing that my weight really can change that much in a day made it easier to swallow & helped me realize that I need to take the number on the scale with a grain of salt most of the time.
  • I typically weigh myself in the morning. I can weigh one weight in the morning and weigh like 10 pounds more if I weigh myself at night. I also tend to drink about a gallon of water throughout the day. And pee a whole lot of times. But by the next morning, it's typically back to where it's supposed to be.

Just shake it off, and don't weigh yourself in the middle of the day again. Ever.
  • Lori0534
    Thanks for the responses!!!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    If I weigh myself in the afternoon I can be up >10lbs on my morning weight. The moral of the story is don't weigh yourself in the afternoon!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    best to pick a day and time and stick to it, I usually weigh in Tuesday mornings when I first get up (4:45ish). If I weigh in at night I can be up as much as 10 lbs and yea.. its rage worthy.
  • ElizabethElane
    ElizabethElane Posts: 92 Member
    You can actually weigh more in the afternoon then in the morning!!! Always weigh before noon to get your actual weight!
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Get a body composition scale and it will help you know exactly what the weight is. Likely it has to be superficial since it isn't practical to gain 6 LBs of fat over night. Usually, my withings scale interprets water weight as lean weight but there are scales out there that will do water weigh, lean mass, skeletal mass, and fat mass. I want one...
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    I weigh myself throughout the day out of bad habit. :ohwell:

But as others have said, once you eat, drink, and do a bunch of stuff, your weight greatly increases throughout the day. But it's really intriguing how drastically your weight goes down when you pee a lot. That always amuses me.
  • Hi there

never ever weight in after the morning. You will likely be heavier from eating, water weight, hormone fluctuation, etc
  • Lori0534
    Thanks! I have a body comp scale at work. Wasn't sure if it really knew what it was talking about though. Ha I was down 4 lbs this morning. Gotta keep on going!