mirror vs reality

Options
I am just wondering if you see yourself in the mirror the same as you did before you lost the weight or if you actually see how small you are. I still see myself as bigger then I am now. I went from a size 16 to a size 8 but I don't look like a size 8 to me when I look in the mirror. I hope this makes sense to someone lol

Replies

• MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    makes sense to me. i was as high as a size 26, and now a size16. when i order clothes online, i somehow almost convince myself that I need a 20... its all in our heads. Either way I end up ordering a 16.. and sure enough perfect fit. Even when I look at pictures of myself I ask my husband, 'do I really look like that?"
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I look different day to day when I see myself in the mirror. Do I know why? Nope.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I see myself as larger than I am (I was never overweight but I was anorexic long time ago) to the point where I think the scale is lying (says I am BMI 20 but I think I look much larger)
  • manny1991
    manny1991 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I guess I can see improvements but I was a 16 and am now an 8. I look nothing like I imagined I would at this size. I still see my old self in the mirror.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Yes, I went from a 18/20 to currently 6/12 with still 18 or so pounds to go and I still see myself as chunky.

Over the weekend a friend wanted to see pictures of me from high school - Ugh! I never realized how fat I was or seemed even at 130 pounds (14 pounds less than my current goal) :smile:

I think one of my issues is that I really wish my thighs were tighter, so as always we focus on what we really don't like and fail to see all the awesomeness we have accomplished :happy:

I hope to never lose sight of my weight/health but to also come to terms with the body that I have.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I definitely still see myself as larger when I look in the mirror. I actually struggle to tell I've lost any weight sometimes. It's only when wearing my old clothes or seeing photographs of myself it becomes real. I have to remind myself it's not just a figment of my imagination! I often wonder how long it takes our mental self-image to catch up to physical changes. It seems quite a while in my case...
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I look different day to day when I see myself in the mirror. Do I know why? Nope.

Me too! I think it depends on my frame if mind.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    This mirror keeps me in check. I see my progress in the mirror and stare in disbelieve, because I still feel fat. I'm a size 8(148 lbs) down from a size 20 (230lbs). I still find myself walking to the plus size area in clothing stores, then have to remind myself I'm healthy now, these clothes are too big. lol
  • amg120
    amg120 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely my harshest critic. Sometimes I question whether what's in the mirror matters at all. I think it's hard to go from a state of mind where you're unhappy with yourself because of your appearance to one where you don't criticize every little thing.

Everyone is different though.

I've been 150, 200+, and I'm around 170 now, and honestly it all looks the same in my eyes.

However, I have noticed that I think I am smaller after working out and eating super healthy even if it's only a day different, so I'm assuming it's 75% mental.
  • lorim200
    lorim200 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well it seems like this is a common side effect of weight loss. I sure hope I soon realize that I am not the size I think I am and begin enjoying the new me. Take care all and thanks for your comments.:smile: