Having trouble hitting calorie goal

Options
Here lately it's been hard for me to hit 1,200 calories which is like the minimum calories a day you should eat for it to be healthy for your body.

So my question is:
Is it okay if I don't hit that as long as I'm eating when I'm hungry? Is it okay to not hit that? Should I be forcing myself to hit 1,200 when I'm not hungry?

Replies

• A_shlynn
    A_shlynn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That depends how much you're under by. If it's less than 100 calories, then you should be ok, though try to get more. If you're way under, then try to work in more calorie-dense foods. You don't have to be afraid of having 'junk' food, just don't eat it all the time
  • KittiePerry
    KittiePerry Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do eat junk food every so often, I just haven't been hungry for like the past week.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why this is so hard for anyone? It was clearly easy for us to eat them when we gained the weight!

Little adjustments will add up quickly. Switch to whole milk. Eat the whole egg. Have a handful of nuts here and there.

If you are not hungry but you are below 1200 I suggest just eating it because it's going to catch up to you and nobody is going to be able to stick to a "strict diet" of below 1200 per day. Why the "all or nothing mentality?"
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    It's not an all or nothing mentality, I just haven't been hungry. I wasn't sure if I should force myself to eat and hit 1,200 or just say screw it and be happy that I wasn't hungry.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    if it's once in a while then sure don't eat. But if it's a regular thing than you need to re adjust to healthy long term changes. Try eating something other than popcorn for lunch. I don't get into soda but you can let loose and have more than 2-3 oz at a time. ;)

I am sitting here near my day max and SO HUNGRY… I have to say no. So my hunger crabbiness is not happy that you have calories and don't' eat them! LOL
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I try to plan my day out before hand so I can be sure I am getting adequate macros and calories. If you aren't meeting 1200 then you may be eating too healthy or restrictive. Try to still keep some of your favorites so oyu aren't depriving yourself and setting yourself up for hard times ahead. It would be pretty easy to add 100 cals to breakfast (yogurt or piece of fruit), lunch(fruit, cheese, cookie), dinner(more meat, carb or dessert). Or add in a snack or couple squares of chocolate. Let me know if oyu need help figuring out your meal plan still :)
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    True, I could do that. I'm guessing I should just force myself to eat at least 1,200 then lol
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If it was hard for you to eat 1200 cals a day, you wouldn't be on MFP in the first place. If you are not that hungry these days, then eat small portions of high cal foods to reach your target (ie - nuts, avocados, whole milk, etc)
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    It's only been hard like these past 4-5 days
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but at your weight you should be eating a lot MORE than 1200 to lose weight. Your BMR is around 2300 calories. That's how much your body would need to function properly if you were in a coma. Hunger is not a good indicator of if you should eat, some people with eating disorders don't feel hunger.
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    It's really hard to plan my meals, I live with my grandma. She won't let me cook or anything so she usually makes greasy food like onion rings, potatos, high calorie/sodium chicken, etc.
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    MFP said 1,800 is where around I should be eating. I have it set for 1,500 so I have a little wiggle room. Just lately I haven't been wanting to eat.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Options
    It's really hard to plan my meals, I live with my grandma. She won't let me cook or anything so she usually makes greasy food like onion rings, potatos, high calorie/sodium chicken, etc.

That doesn't make sense. If you're having to eat high calorie meals how are you not getting to your calorie goal?
  • KittiePerry
    Options

That doesn't make sense. If you're having to eat high calorie meals how are you not getting to your calorie goal?

Small portions.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

can't you tell grandma that you are trying to lose weight and that you would like to have some healthier options..? If not you could always buy lean cuisine ( I know not the best option) and stock them in the freezer and have those for dinner…I mean she won't even let you use the grill to grill some chicken or something?

you can still lose eating those kinds of foods, just eat less of them ...
  • KittiePerry
    Options

can't you tell grandma that you are trying to lose weight and that you would like to have some healthier options..? If not you could always buy lean cuisine ( I know not the best option) and stock them in the freezer and have those for dinner…I mean she won't even let you use the grill to grill some chicken or something?

Nope, she's really "set in her ways"
  • Faye_Anderson
    Options

Small portions.

Small portions of high calorie foods and you're not hungry? Either have larger portions or tell your grandma you're an adult who can fend for yourself :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Nope, she's really "set in her ways"

I don't understand why you can't just go in the kitchen and cook your own food..???

Grandma is what like 70 probably…and you are 21….I think you could put her in her place if need be ...
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat the food she cooks. o_O

Avocado. Oils/butter. Nuts. Nut butters. Full fat dairy. Eggs. Protein shakes. Deli meat. Canned tuna. Meat sources of any kind. Hummus. Beans/legumes.

Go for calorie dense without a lot of volume, if that's your problem.
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    You don't have to eat the food she cooks. o_O

Avocado. Oils/butter. Nuts. Nut butters. Full fat dairy. Eggs. Protein shakes. Deli meat. Canned tuna. Meat sources of any kind. Hummus. Beans/legumes.

Go for calorie dense without a lot of volume, if that's your problem.

Yeah, I could not eat what she made but then it goes to waste because almost no one in the house eats leftovers but me and my BF and Dad (only those two if it's macaroni, chili, or spaghetti)