Chia Seeds?

Options
I've been making a lot of smoothies lately with greek yogurt and organic fruits only. I've been reading around to add chia seeds to smoothies (anything, really) and they absorb the liquid and make you feel fuller for a lot longer. Can anyone on this site attest to this? Has it helped you lose weight? How has it helped you, if at all? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's helped me lose weight, but I tend to feel fuller, longer. I soak them in water and keep in a Tupperware in my fridge and add them to my breakfast shakes. Side note: they definitely help with digestion.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Where do you buy chia seeds?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I saw them at the store. I was stunned that people were eating the stuff I used to put on a clay figurine as a kid! I wondered if they tasted like they looked? If it turns out to be a good thing you'd have the most unique garden of sheep, heads, dogs, rabbits and what all, of world's easiest to grow plants!
  • jamieo70
    jamieo70 Posts: 24
    Options

You can find them at well-stocked grocery stores (usually where the health-food stuff is located), Trader Joe's/Whole Foods/Earth Fare stores, Costco, etc. If nothing else you can order them online from a lot of places.
  • krlong6
    krlong6 Posts: 30
    Options
    I bought mine from Dillons grocery store. They were in the area with granola, nuts and seeds that you can bag on your own.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You can find them at the grocery store, stores like GNC or on Amazon. They don't really have a flavor. Just add them to anything moist and they bulk up and keep you full for longer.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I saw them at Costco just the other day.
  • blkane1984
    Options
    When they get wet, they get a gelationus texture. Vegans use them as an egg substitute because they are good as a binder in baked goods.

I sprinkle 1/2 TB on my yogurt & fruit in the morning. It does help me hang in there until lunch time. However, today...not so much. :(
  • myndikins
    myndikins Posts: 39
    Options
    I love them and usually add them to smoothies in the mornings. I'm not sure about any amazing weight loss benefits, but they definitely keep you fuller longer. I love how they get all gelatin-y too, but I'm weird lol I also dump some in my dog's food every night and it seems to be helping him stay full (even one of my dogs is fat. Oy.)
  • Radioactive_Starfish
    Options
    I don't care for them in my smoothies (but mostly because I don't want to wait for them to plump up, I want to drink it while it's COLD! However, I do like them in almond milk soaked overnight - great breakfast "pudding". :) Throw in a few berries & a little of your favorite sweetener and it feels like a treat!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

I only have found them at health food stores. I put them on a lot of things. they do keep you full longer and help with digestion and waste elimination.. they bind to fats in the intestine. They are also a great source of omega 3 and fiber
  • runningonvegetables
    Options
    I think that they add a bit more substance. I love putting them in Greek yogurt. I just add some in and let them sit for a few minutes in the fridge. Oh and I just get them in the grocery store.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    They are calorie dense, be sure to weigh before sprinkling! :)
  • beleeLafter
    Options
    Fuller? Not for me but I do throw them into my homemade almond butter..........I enjoy the crunch!
  • diannecolors
    Options
    just bought some and they aren't cheap. am soaking them overnight in cranberry and apple juice. another recipe is coconut milk and blended mango. YUMMMMMMMYYYYY
  • CuAlMc
    CuAlMc Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I use them in my smoothies and also make breakfast puddings with them 4 tbs with a cup of coconut milk overnight in the fridge and than if you like(I don't but my kids do add a little bit of raw cacoa for extra taste or even a few chopped nuts).
  • FlatTummyTrish
    FlatTummyTrish Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I actually bought some 2 months ago it was a bargain and I've stopped craving chocolate and fizzy drinks completely :) My family loves it too, I recommend it!
  • Tisiwa
    Tisiwa Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use Chia Seeds in my veggie and fruit(s) lower sugar smoothies. They aid with digestion, they are heart healthy, please note they are pretty high in calories as well if you aren't careful. I usually do part Flax and part Chia seeds. I've also used Chia seeds in my hot tea I don't add sugar, and the chia adds taste and texture.

You can purchase Chia Seeds at most health food stores, Whole Foods, Wegmans, Trader Joes. Please note, it's best to keep them in the fridge as well.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I love them. I don't tolerate fish oil very well, and the Omega vitamins in chia seeds are where I make up for it. I find them helpful in staying full for an extra hour or two.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to put them in my smoothies, but I just found them to be a waste of calories.

I didn't feel any great benefits & didn't really feel fuller - I prefer to use those calories for something a little more tangible, rather than an invisible ingredient in my smoothie. High Calorie, flavorless gloop:-)