Binged today. :( How shall I punish myself?

Options
I ate too much manuka honey today and went over my calories, carbs and worst of all, my sugar (by 100). This rarely ever happens. I feel extremely horrible about my binge. Should I go on a 2 hour long walk/cardio to compensate for what I did? I'm in maintenance right now and tend to gain very easily if I go over my calories. Help?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    100 extra calories is a binge? Just go for a 30 minutes walk tomorrow or eat 100 less calories...
  • Dedshot
    Dedshot Posts: 145
    Options
    100 extra calories is a binge? Just go for a 30 minutes walk tomorrow or eat 100 less calories...

She said 100 over sugar, not calories. So she just went 100 g over her sugar.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Go jog, drink a buttload of water, fix it over the week. You'll be fine.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think the best punishment for you would be to tell you not to punish yourself. You'll just obsess over it more and feed into a vicious cycle of anger, despair, and loathing.

Or you can just shrug it off, recognize you are human like the rest of us, and move on to the next day.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think the best punishment for you would be to tell you not to punish yourself. You'll just obsess over it more and feed into a vicious cycle of anger, despair, and loathing.

Or you can just shrug it off, recognize you are human like the rest of us, and move on to the next day.

This commenter is wise. Listen to them.

There is no punishment necessary because what you did wasn't a crime.
  • ObsessedMonster
    ObsessedMonster Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, but how do I get rid of the extreme guilt following a binge? I feel so ashamed of myself.
  • iluvmpiche
    Options
    Don't punish yourself. That leads to disorders. Just acknowledge your weakness and find a way to combat it. Sweets? Eat an apple. Chocolate? Magnesium. Get rid of things that you find yourself binging on. Don't beat yourself up. One unhealthy day won't make you fat just like one healthy day won't make you thin.

Walk/run some of it off. Cardio not only burns calories, it also helps your body release happy endorphins. :)
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You ate some honey, you didnt murder anyone. No need for guilty. You aren't that far over your calories. Go for a walk or something.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, but how do I get rid of the extreme guilt following a binge? I feel so ashamed of myself.

You use rational thought processes to counteract the emotional/reactive feelings of guilt. Remind yourself that it's not a crime to eat. Try and understand that your binge is just one event. That it isn't the end of the world. That you are allowed food. That there is no need to restrict or punish yourself. You know those things rationally, you just need to convince yourself of them emotionally. It's easier said than done of course, but do try and work on it.

Also, just log it and move on. You won't have been far over maintenance at worst. Give yourself a pep-talk and go back to your normal schedule as soon as you can. If your best friend had eaten some honey what would you say to them? Would you try and punish them?
  • Iishasears84
    Options
    Agree. Utterly. With ^^^^
  • WolfChylde
    WolfChylde Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Just resolve to do better tomorrow :) We're only human, mistakes will happen. As long as the majority of your days are good, you'll be fine. Try to identify if there was something that triggered the binge, and treat the trigger next time with self care instead of food.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I binged today too. I ate a ton of Easter candy and Girl Scout cookies. 1000 calories within a 2 hour period and I feel gross. That is punishment enough. I ate a light dinner and I'm gonna drink water when I feel hungry later. What's done is done and tomorrow is a new day. No punishment necessary, just remember how you feel today next time you are confronted with the choice to pig out or not. :)
  • KatieRG92
    Options
    Well, first of all, you have to identify that it isn't normal or healthy to 1. identify eating some honey as a binge, and 2. feel ashamed of that 'binge'. If you are on a diet, give yourself a slap on the wrist, and let it go. Accept that it happened, and look forward to a better day tomorrow. If you can't do that, you should probably do some research and some self-reflection, or maybe even speak to someone you know, or a professional.

Binge-eating disorder is not fun. And it is very hard to escape from. Don't fall into it.

I find that sometimes people are not ready to diet, and thus fall into traps like binge-eating disorder, or other eating disorders. If you have an emotional connection with food, or have other problems in your life, starting a diet can do more harm than good, especially really strict diets. (This is from my own experience)

Forgive yourself :) Move on. Accept the shame, but also make yourself look to tomorrow, and know you can make it a better day.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I binged today too. I ate a ton of Easter candy and Girl Scout cookies. 1000 calories within a 2 hour period and I feel gross. That is punishment enough. I ate a light dinner and I'm gonna drink water when I feel hungry later. What's done is done and tomorrow is a new day. No punishment necessary, just remember how you feel today next time you are confronted with the choice to pig out or not. :)

That's a great way of thinking about it. Deep breath, move on, start fresh tomorrow. If it becomes a frequent occurrence, perhaps try sitting down afterwards and trying to identify what triggered your binge so you can work through the issue and try to stop binge episodes before they begin?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    You went 91 calories over your target of 1600 (checked your diary)...
    It won't kill you. In fact, I doubt it even pushed you into a caloric surplus.

However, this is the reason I have a 'carryover' category among my meals. I would log some of that honey for tomorrow so as to remain overall on target.

And, for the record, I'm still paying for the beer and sausage feast I had on saturday. I went about 1000+ calories over. It was delicious. 10/10, will eat again.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Going 91 calories over your goal is not a binge. You're going to be fine. If you feel really guilty you can always take a walk around the block to burn a few cals, but really that's unnecessary. Think of it this way, divide your "overage" by the number of days in a week
    91 cals divided by 7 = 13
    So if you reduce the amount you eat each day this week by 13 tiny little calories, your "overage" is gone. That's NOTHING! Completely insignificant! :)
    You can't beat yourself up every time you go over your goal by such a small amount, or this lifestyle change will not be sustainable.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It helps me to look at the big picture. Instead of focusing on the one day I binged, I try to think: For the past 10 days I've eaten heathily. OK I blew it for 1 day out of 10 days, but overall I'm doing really well. Don't beat yourself up about it, just get right back on track.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    91 calories is not a binge. Nutrition labelling is not 100% accurate anyway so there are days we've all been over - and under - by that much and more and not realised it. We're not robots either, so none of us are burning exactly the same numbers of calories every day.

It really is not worth getting stressed over.
  • RhysJ13
    RhysJ13 Posts: 72
    Options
    No-one should be punishing themselves or anyone else really!

Unless it's part of some bedroom play, in which case it's OK...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Get yourself out of this mentality of punishment. You ate a bit too much sugar. You didn't kill someone!! Also what you describe isn't a binge. It's overeating, that's all. It seems like you need to do a lot of work on your relationship with food, i.e. getting out of this mentality of crime and punishment. Overeating is nothing more than a bad habit, and if you only overeat once in a while, it's not even that. It's not a crime. You shouldn't feel guilty and you certainly don't need to punish yourself.

A more healthy attitude would be "oops, I overate..." and if you want to do anything about it, some gentle exercise will do. Or if you haven't finished eating for the day, adjust your later meals by removing the carbs from them, i.e. have only the fat and protein. That way your macros stay reasonably balanced even though you overate on sugar. If you're over your calories for the day, then really it's not anything to stress about if it's only one day. If you're eating at a deficit, then one day's overeating might mean you weren't in deficit for that day. No big deal. Just stick to your goal for the next day and after that and you'll still lose weight. If you're regularly overeating then that's a problem to address, e.g. whether your calorie goal is too low and the overeating is from hunger, or whether it's just a bad habit you have to get out of or whether you need to find some other way to deal with boredom or feeling upset or whatever. But really, there is NO need to feel guilty. And if you overeat just on one occasion it's not even a problem worth worrying out. Only regular overeating is even a problem.